Tripods of various flavors

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Big Ron, Jul 12, 2023.

1. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I need to find/make some sticks for stand-up shooting. I'm not much into laying down and shooting anymore. I also would like a tripod and remember the two I have for cameras laying around, maybe some kind of adapter to hold a rifle with that screw mount. any ideas or photos of yours? (tripod photos )

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

3. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

SB21, jim2, Big Ron and 1 other person like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What Andy said

jim2 likes this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I tell you what, maybe that is exactly what I need! I was trying to shoot a small prairie dog the other day and keeping the crosshairs on him free-handed was damn difficult. I used a lightweight Ruger 10/22 also... Yeah, I think I need one of these shooting stick/monopods.

SB21, jim2, Big Ron and 1 other person like this.
  6. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

No nice-looking sticks around here. I watched a video once where someone had an outfit with four thin sticks. Holding both the front and rear. It was all linked together and the builder put a good case for his stable platform. Maybe I'll break down and buy something. Otherwise, a piece of old inner tube wrapped around three decent sticks would work.

7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

[​IMG]
    I've got a set of shooting sticks like these. I think I got them from Dixie Gun Works thirty years ago. Never used them.

8. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I like the idea of using cured cane for shooting sticks. Light, studry, and free is a hard combo to beat. Plenty of it for free around here especially near junk yards.

I was intending on making a break down cane pole for fishing anyway, so I might as well do this too.

Jim

Gator 45/70, Zimmy and CraftyMofo like this.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@hot diggity That's a good idea! I can make up something like this with what I got on hand. Good idea! Not sure why I didn't think of this...soon I'll be stumbling and babbling like the President of the United States!

Gator 45/70, SB21, CraftyMofo and 2 others like this.
  10. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

If you already have camera tripods, Midway has this:
    Spartan Precision Equipment Quick Shot Shooting Rest,
    among other options.

Brownell's has this:
    DEATHGRIP ULTRALITE TRIPOD HEAD | Brownells,
    among other options.

Those fit existing tripods.

Several years ago a friend of mine's son gave him a fancy tripod that once you drop the legs, just squeeze the grip and it will move the legs in and out to maintain a level platform, regardless of terrain. Release the grip to lock the legs where they are.

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

A lesson I learned from my photography days that translated well to shooting: "Every tree is a tripod".

Gator 45/70, SB21 and CraftyMofo like this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Think I might need one of these to turn my old Bogen into an "assault tripod".Maybe the lefties will decide the need to ban my WW2 vintage Speed Graphic next since "nobody needs 4"x5" negatives...

Gator 45/70, SB21 and CraftyMofo like this.
  13. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I like the Deathgrip mount, except for the price.

14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I put a tripod on a Cetme rifle (.308/7.62x51 NATO, semi-auto) and called it my poor man's BAR, but then I had to sell it back during the Great Recession. I just hope that somewhere someone is taking good care of my baby!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7