Truck bed covers

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Coyote Ridge, Oct 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Coyote Ridge

Coyote Ridge Monkey

If anyone else is looking for a bed cover to protect your gear.

Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and snake6264 like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I put a Canopy on our ‘06 White Toyota 4X4 Pickup Truck.... We decided that we needed more dry storage than a Bed cover would provide, and it helped on the MPG a bit as well... I got one that matched the model & paint, so it looks like factory.... Was a good investment for us...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

That's one of the models I looked at when researching a tonneau for the truck. It, and all the other tri-folds and rollup covers had a common, fatal flaw for my purposes: I could get into it with a pocket knife. The vinyl flex points are an easy point of attack. I habitually carry $$ power tools, electronics, and firearms. The guns are the biggest concern obviously. I have a lockable compartment under the back seat for three long guns, but that's it. When we takes the Scouts for .22 2-gun matches I might have a dozen or more rifles and pistols with me. So it's hand guns in the lock-box under the seat, and long guns in the back.
    I finally, after weeks of looking and visiting too many "truck" shops, settled on a DiamondBack cover. Aluminum diamond plate with steel hinges, and key locks fore and aft. The tailgate already locked so I was good to go. Fairly high $$, but a a Vet discount helped. Took 30 minutes to install, and can be removed in 5 with a couple 9/16th wrenches. I can also carry my nephews ATV on it.
    Fair notice: I have zero stake in the company nor product; it just fit my needs to a "T".

Gator 45/70, HK_User and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I went with a canopy/topper instead. A bit harder to remove, but much more secure and I can sleep in the back if I need to. As mentioned above also keeps things dryer.

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Bed cover for me, lockable, matches color and makes sure I get a dry load of feed home.
    Fiberglass and easy to have extra weight in the back for slick weather.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Waydah

Waydah Monkey

I installed a roll-up cover on my Titan. I wasn't seeking security, but a place to carry stuff that I didn't want getting wet, like suit cases. I also wanted to easily roll it up when I had to haul things like lumber or bags of mulch. The fact that it looks good didn't hurt, either.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I prefer the camper shell, more secure and weather compatible and the same aerodynamic benefits.

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

One thing I do like about bed covers is the easy side access, that is unless you put something other than a modest lift on the truck or decided to leave it alone.

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

do you have the kid with the window?
    would you mind posting apic of something simlar... every topper i looked at wasnt secure.... the back door over the tail gate was weak. so if you found a good one would love to know what it is. Thank you! @3M-TA3

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

This is the ‘06 White Toyota 4X4 Pickup Truck with canopy... The rear window Locking System is adequate...

771BF5F7-3C62-40C8-B27D-B47F499F5158.

30090D0F-0DB0-444F-AAAD-DD9BF0F33EDD.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  1. Andy the Aussie
  2. Thunder5Ranch
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Motomom34
  5. STANGF150
  6. 3M-TA3
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7