true crypt???

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Tango3, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

free opensource hd encryption.
    http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/
    anybody know anything about this???
    any good?My Gut is saying if its free its probably cracked already....[dunno][dunno]

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

it's an excellent product.

Do a search here on the monkey it's been brought up before. I use it on all my thumbdrives and for "hidden" areas on my desktops.

To my knowledge, it is not cracked.

3. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Used it for years. Melbo has a post. They have a recent one for MAC OS. This is great software with ability to bury information in any type of file. So, you can use a .mov program as a truecrypt file. Naturally it would look big, but you cant' view as a .mov. I just looks like a .mov. You can then create a file within a file and then have two passwords for the first file. If you ever had to "show" by court order, you could use the password for the info you have buried that you don't care if people see, but not the one for the other.......fun.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Does it encrypt stuff already on the hard drive? thought I read somewhere it only encrypts new stuff( installation date forward)??

5. kckndrgn

correct, new stuff forward.

Basically if you want to encrypt some sensitive information you use the wizard that comes with Truecrypt to make a file. That file then gets mounted by truecrypt and to windoze (or mac, or linux) it looks just like another hard drive.

You can also encrypt an entire OS if you want, an entire thumbdrive (USB drive), etc. There are lots of uses.

My thumbdrive is set to autorun truecrypt when it's installed into a windows OS, I can cancel or mount the truecrypt file as needed. when the drive is not mounted, the file just looks like another file on my thumbdrive, but if you try to access it you will only see "garbage".

I have not tried to encrypt an entire OS, though that does sound like something fun to do with my laptop.

6. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

7. kckndrgn

That hack could effect ANY secured PC, not just truecrypt.
    From Truecrpyts forums:
    If you are just encrypting a file for mounting as a drive, this "hack" does not break it.

This is a part that scares me:
    :shock:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7