1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

True to its name

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Just received my Columbia River Obake. Thought it would make a nice companion to a large blade, like the beaut brutes made by @Bear.

This is a picture I found on the internet. It's not mine, but nicer than what I would take.

Back to my title... Obake means shapeshifter, but is often used to mean ghost. The Obake came pretty sharp, but not hair popping, like how I like it. Anyway, the Obake bit me and drew first blood.

Pardon my salute. ;)

Busy day today, but I thought I would touch up the edge. Got barged in on and talked at and I lost my concentration. It would be a very effective defense knife. Casually poked myself in a mental lapse and the tip punctured about an 1/8 of and inch with about a 1/4 inch wide cut.

Got immediately barged in on and talked to again within seconds of the first person, so I decided to save the sharpening for a quieter day.

A more complete review will follow after the sharpness is to my satisfaction. I try to keep the blades I use hair popping. This one shaved arm hair out of the box, but didn't make the hair jump off in fear as it passed. :D

One other thing, the cord wrap has a strong smell to it. Maybe after washing and airing out, it will smell better. It leaves the smell on the hands too.
    Tully Mars, Motomom34, stg58 and 3 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

Got you on your favorite finger, too!! I like the looks of that blade and the braided Tsuka.
    Tully Mars and Hanzo like this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Here's the designer, on how to carry...

Dunerunner and Bear like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My saluting finger, @Dunerunner.
    Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Bear like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Not sure how I feel about the acid etch yet. Usually prefer uncoated, but with a patina. I'll let you know after I clean it up and cut stuff with it.
    Bear likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

I recently picked up a very nice tool from @Bear for my future SIL and one of the first things he did was cut himself while putting it back in its sheath....
    I had to laugh, I warned him that the tool was rather sharp ;)
    Tully Mars, Motomom34, stg58 and 3 others like this.
  7. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Lol... @Hanzo... careful with those sharp pointy things... don't want to cut off something you REALLY need ;)

Yikes @Yard Dart ... I apologize for that.... you know there is a an old custom about giving a coin when gifting a blade... gotta do it or it will cut the friendship... or worse ;)

Hope your son-in-law is o.k..... yup... "Bear tools"... bite if you are not careful with them ;)

Cool knife...

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Bears and bear tools have teeth.

But for us, @Bear, no need to exchange coin when we can share food! I meant that from my side. Heck, I work for food sometimes.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

No apologies needed. Very cool knife... and he was bit ever so slightly... showed me the minimal slice... with blood of course and said "damn that knife is sharp" ;)
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Getting into a camping frame of mind and am playing with some small knives.

Enzo Birk making a small feather stick. I mix the size of the curls.

Obake making a fine chisel point.

Ganado, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Another mini featherstick. With a Fallkniven TK4 this time. An all time great folding bushcraft knife. Curls are finer at the end near the blade point to be easier to catch a spark. Side benefit to all this is one of the monkey's birds goes nuts chewing and pecking on them. Gives her more exercise. The bird, not the monkey. [emoji6]

Ganado and kellory like this.
  12. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I have seen the food that comes out of the Hanzo house, I would work for you for food any day
  13. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

you know there is a an old custom about giving a coin when gifting a blade... gotta do it or it will cut the friendship... or worse ;)

I'm sure silver or gold would be most appreciated....:)
    Yard Dart, Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

It was also custom to lay a gold coin on the touch hole of a new navy cannon. The dockyard would then do the dirty work of delivering them.
    Hanzo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary