TrueCrypt is BACK....... sort of.....

Discussion in 'Technical' started by BTPost, Aug 31, 2015.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

VeraCrypt is a high-security, cross-platform encryption app from Idrix EURL (Mounir Idrassi), based on TrueCrypt, which was discontinued last year. Features include on-the-fly volume encryption (like Apple's encrypted disk images or FileVault), hidden volumes, hardware-accelerated encryption (e.g. Intel AES-NI support), support for various algorithms, security token and smart card support, and the ability to load TrueCrypt volumes with "enhanced security" vs. TrueCrypt (particularly for brute-force attacks). VeraCrypt 1.13 is free, open-source software for Mac OS X 10.6 and up and requires OSXFUSE 2.3 or later.

2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Will it work on Linux based systems? I see the cross platform, however??

3. Gesko

Gesko Monkey+++

Yes, works on Windows, OS X and Linux

Ganado and melbo like this.
  4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

It should also be noted that TrueCrypt has finally been audited and nothing untoward was discovered. Plenty of things to "do better" but no back doors.

Ganado, Yard Dart and BTPost like this.
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

What if one uses dual-boot (Win-Linux) and wishes to access the encrypted drive? It would be an entirely separate and external HD I am referring to. I have never tried either of these encryption methods.

6. Gesko

Gesko Monkey+++

Works fine @Brokor . Since it's your computer you can install VeraCrypt under both OS. If you want to exchange encrypted information with someone else, you can leave a small part of the disk unencrypted and put the portable version of VeraCrypt on it, so the other person doesn't have to install it Just make sure it's placed on the unencrypted part

Brokor likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7