TrueCrypt.... Is NOT SECURE.....

Discussion in 'Technical' started by BTPost, May 29, 2014.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

"TrueCrypt is not secure," official SourceForge page abruptly warns

Support for decade-old crypto program pulled, touching off Internet firestorm.

One of the official webpages for the widely used TrueCrypt encryption program says that development has abruptly ended and warns users of the decade-old tool that it isn't safe to use.

"WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues," text in red at the top of TrueCrypt page on SourceForge states. The page continues: "This page exists only to help migrate existing data encrypted by TrueCrypt...."

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

hmm, this is an interesting turn of events.

3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

TrueCrypt not dead yet??
    GRC's | TrueCrypt, the final release, archive  
    Read more at the link.

4. 10brokenpromises

10brokenpromises Monkey++

I have to admit that this was my original thought. The claim that "we aren't supporting it anymore so it's no longer safe" is kind of disingenuous. Of course it IS possible that they found a hole, "fixed" it with the newest/neutered build and then declared the death of TrueCrypt but I kind of doubt it.

The initial audit did point out some things that could be fixed and made better/more secure but it certainly wasn't a scathing slap down of the code.

I'm ambivalent about a code fork. I personally don't use TrueCrypt anymore but I never used it much in the first place. I might if it was audited and the license fixed. I admit that the license bothered me. I have a number of hardware encrypted devices all partitioned in such a way that it would be very time consuming to get the data off of them if not outright impossible (hardware encrypted that delete the key after 10 failed unlock attempts).

5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

still will keep the semi-honest criminal honest.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7