Trunk/Truck gun.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Came across a Glenfield/Marlin 60 22lr at a very good price. Should I acquire this one it will be dedicated to the truck as a complement to the 357 that lives there. Already have 2 now but going by the Navy Seal adage that 2 is 1and 1is none. I really need a social life! LOL.

Alf60, GOG, Dont and 4 others like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I cringe when I hear ''Truck gun'' Hopefully one removes all firearms at night....Love the Marlin btw !

Oltymer, AD1, Brokor and 4 others like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

No worries, your in good company!
    I added an AR with .22 conversion to my truck, along with my Schmidt & Rubin rebarreled to .308! Makes for a slick and handy 50 state legal battery of awesomeness! Phuck Californication, im going to be armed!
    There is also a PVC pipe strapped under the hood with an old SKS and 240 rounds of blamo and a parts kit!

Oltymer, GOG, tacmotusn and 3 others like this.
  4. BenP

BenP Monkey++

In my experience truck guns need to be stainless, condensation forms on them at night when the air cools off and they rust.

Oltymer, tacmotusn, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I wrap mine in an old wool blanket that I sprayed with silicone water repellant and I spray my guns with a preservative, so far i have yet to see a single spek of rust!

Gafarmboy, Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I would do it. You know that techsights makes a peep for them?

Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Truck gun is OK if you have a good Yard Dog, or in my case Watch Cows, all with young calves.

Dont, Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

The Marlin 60 is a great little .22 rifle. You need enough to take a group of Scouts to the range. Does it look much loved and polished by handling, or neglected and left outside?

I like 100% functional, but cosmetically challenged truck guns. Previously rusted is okay as long as they're accurate. A good cleaning with Ballistol and some steel wool and the rust becomes a brown finish that no longer rusts at all. Must economical pair I had were a Winchester 94 that looked like it had slid around in a truck bed with some gravel on one side only, and a Ruger 10/22 with a Weaver scope that had an overall brown luster. I put a Marble's full buckhorn rear sight on the 94, and did nothing to the 10/22 but clean it and check that scope and sights were zeroed. Both are great shooters, and at $75 each I couldn't leave them in the gun shop. These two lived behind the seat in the truck (in black cases that made them nearly invisible) for several years with no ill effects at all. Even with our wild Coastal temperature changes it seemed like the cases and being nestled behind the seat helped to keep the temperature of the guns and ammo at least somewhat stable. I've really abused some ammo, intentionally leaving it out in the Jeep. Sun, cold, season after season the test ammo shoots as well as the stuff kept indoors. As long as it stays dry I have no corrosion issues. Imagine how long an ammo seller to military forces of the World would last if their ammo went bad because it got hot, cold, or shaken up. I never heard of such manufacturers, but suspect they were short-lived ventures.

Neither of them would raise an eyebrow if they were found during a vehicle search on a military installation, and both are easily carried out of sight alongside a light pack. I'm thinking a painted $10 single shot 12 gauge shotgun might not be a bad addition either. You never know what might be the appropriate arm for the occasion. :)

9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Another weapon ???,,,at a very good price ???,,,, Why is there any hesitation ?Seems like a no brainer to me ,, no matter what you intend to do with it .

10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

how about a HiPoint pistol and carbine in the same caliber .. heck, they even share magazines. Lifetime warranty and already ugly so if they get scuffed up .. who cares.

Alf60, Oltymer, Oddcaliber and 4 others like this.
  11. Borrego

Borrego Monkey

Oh, you mean a Mini 14 then ? ;)

BenP, Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Or maybe a mini thirty[YD]
    [flag]

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Sounds interesting, but... I am not a fan of beater guns as emergency guns. An inconspicuous "civilian" style rifle is fine as it tends not to upset the general population, especially in a rural area. Used "beater" rifles can be problem children right from the get go and if the exterior is beat up and rusty, then the insides have probably been abused as well. I have bought plenty of "beater" guns as projects, but I would rather have a better condition and tested rifle in my vehicle. My always in the truck guns are a Ruger SP101 and a Ruger takedown tactical 10/22, along with whatever I'm carrying at the moment.

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  14. Waydah

Waydah Monkey

KelTec SU2000 in 9mm using Glock mags stowed folded in a computer laptop case along with some 32 rd mags behind the rear seat of the truck. On trips, a Glock 19 in the same 9mm goes along, too.
    In my Polaris Ranger, a scoped 10/22 rides in the overhead gun rack. But I do have to take it out regularly and wipe it down while checking for rust. Sometimes I add a Mini-14 as well.

Alf60, Oddcaliber, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  15. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

My truck,car,kubota side by side gun is a Kimber 1911 .45 and a Ruger mini thirty. I went with the mini thirty because of the cheap ammo.
    [flag]

Oddcaliber, GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

When I'm in my truck I've noticed the Tokarev is there too, seems to be attached to my belt...

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

who needs an Easy Rider Rifle Rack when a front 'pocket' in the seat cover does the same thing and keeps everything under cover?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7