Trying something new - pic taking

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I found directions to make a simple light box so I went out and got the stuff and set it up. My pics normally suck because of bad lighting and laziness, but hopefully having this will help some. Got it set up right here in the office!

I need more background stuff to use! :)

[​IMG]

Here's the thread with the light box:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328550&page=1&pp=20

2. Valkman

This is weird - I took away the blue background but it doesn't look like it!

[​IMG]

3. Valkman

They're too dark - I have to lighten them with software. Hmmm.

[​IMG]

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[​IMG]

5. Valkman

That's what it's supposed to look like! :D

6. Valkman

[​IMG]

I need ti lighten it up with the camera settings!

7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Two suggestions:
    1. Get a gray card and meter off that
    2. Get some image editing s/w - simple - and use it to edit the Hue and Saturation

8. Valkman

I have paint shop pro - just not very good at it. Yet. ;)

9. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I think even the darker ones look good

10. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Nice Pics.... b::
    I gotta get or make me one of those.... how about a pic of your lightbox setup.... :D

11. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[ditto]

12. RightHand

I took this image, cropped it slightly, altered the hue & saturation once, compressed image from 745kb to 15.4 kb, and uploaded to server. Entire process took less than 5 mins. It's difficult to get the proper color balance directly from the camera and the size (in kb) without compression iis usually too large to load quickly on the internet.

[​IMG]

13. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I am suffering from "Knife Envy." :cry:

14. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Its your WHITE BALANCE!You are taking pics with a flourescent source and the camera is set for daylight Day light tends to be more blue ( from the open sky), incadescents have a warm color temperature( Amber )sodium vapor lights are more yellow. flourescents produce more greenish.If you set the color balance with a standard setting on the camera, it adds in the opposite color to compensate . Set the camera white balance to flourescent than take a picture in bright sunlight , it will be shifted magenta
    ( oposite of green) Learn to set a custom white balance using a white card underthe light you are using.
    I use an old version of photoshop elements ( 2.0 they're up to 5 now) , it has a "remove color cast" function I'm sure paintshop has something similiar, you click on a portion of the picture that should be white it figures outhe correct color shift to clean up the colo

ALSO BECAREfFUL what other room lights are on....you may be picking up flourescents(green) from your ceiling lights...:)( I've spent alot of time behind a camera , was headed that direction at one time)..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7