TV news calling incoming weather "crippling"

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by sniper-66, Dec 10, 2007.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We didnt get hit here but the idiot in charge of the local school still canceled for 4 days (was out each day and things werent all that bad). The pipes froze up and if I cant get them thawed tomorrow so I can use the hose to refill the barrel we have been useing water from then will have to change the water barrel on the stand.

In going through the mental check list to be sure everything was ready in case the lights went out I did remember that I need to make sure the batteries in the trucks that are broke down are charged so that if needed we can hook the invertor up to them to run a fan or the laptop or whatever.

One thing that while we wouldnt need it because we heat with wood but is a life saver when the heater dont work is clay flower pots on a gas stove. I have used that meathod to heat homes several times and it works surpriseingly well especialy if you can stir the air a bit to keep the heat from all going to the cieling. Put 1 or 2 clay flower pots slightly smaller than the grate for the burners of a gass stove (top of pot slightly smaller than grate) and turn them upside down over the burner then turn on the burner. I used 1 pot with the burner on medium to heat my first appartment which was a fair sized studio and so drafty the curtains waved in the drafts and I kept it to hot for most people that came over. It also works well with camp stoves and have used them that way to heat a basement before.

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, the weather guy missed it again, we were supposed to get five to ten inches of snow and got less than one. They should be paid by accuracy.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was amazed on Thursday - the weatherman said the snow would start at 11 am and the first flakes fell at 10:58 am. A little bit of science and a lot of luck.

4. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I'd like a job that paid me for being wrong as much as meteorologists.

Sorry to hear you missed out on all the snow, unless you don't like snow. We never get enough around here, so we always welcome it.

5. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

About an inch here so far - and all that before midnight, I'd guess. However, more is supposedly on its way. Yippee.

Got a pile of slabwood to cut up today. Sure am glad it's the boys doing it ;). I get to stay inside where it's nice and dry and warm (if I so choose).

6. sniper-66

More luck than science, ours was supposed to start around 1800 and about 0300 this morning, I let the dog out and the first flakes were falling. It started again a couple hours ago and now we have about a solid inch. The weatherman said, "we dodged a bullet". I don't understand them, we are literally in a drought, so why no snow is dodging a bullet.

7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Agreed Sniper66. Too many people forget that snow and (for us, the spring thaw) is what restores the underground aquifer. Those with city water think about it less than those of us who depend on our private wells. Years without significant snowfall almost always result in summer drought her in NE

8. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

They said we were going to get 5-10" of snow. We got .8" of rain :rolleyes: They said it was going to snow this afternoon but it's raining now. [notfunny]

OGM

9. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

Ok, NOW we're getting accumulation! Over 4" so far, I'd guess. Dry snow so at least it's not heavy (to break tree limbs, etc).

Stay warm everyone.

10. sniper-66

Well, it must be wet somewhere, I just got an alert call to fly state emergency people tomorrow morning. So much for a weekend off!

11. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

We got about 1.5" thats a bit shy from the 5-10" they said we were going to get. [notfunny]

OGM

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Glad to hear y'all have your bananas in order out there! A 'Country Monkey' can survive! [beer]

Down here in sunny Florida this Saturday and Sunday - the weatherguessers had said '74 degrees and partly cloudy' for the days. Me and a buddy went for a roadtrip on our bikes. All we saw was 50's and solid overcast, with heavy misting! You know - the classic English Summer Day. [lolol]

If they got payed for accuracy, they'd be paying to work! Bwahahaha!!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7