TWISTER aka windlass

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Meat, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

7EFBCD2B-CD0A-46BA-B4BD-2AAA18F74938. CDC46293-8C9C-40F4-97E0-A03D187E9B55. Good way to create wicked tension on a rope for numerous uses during SHTF or ? I used a timber-hitch on the far tree. I went around the nearest tree once and through a loop and then back around the tree. A munter-hitch will make very tight alone but then comes the Twister. With very little effort you can insert a stick between the two ropes and twist the $hi+ out of it. Don’t stand where it can slip and beat your brains in. To secure the stick I first tie a half-hitch in the front of the stick to tighten the ropes on that side. Two more half-hitches and tie off the rope in the opposite direction in wants to spin. Duhhhhhhh. More to follow. :D

4FE5F45E-D848-4F30-BB65-E13889E80770. The order of these pics is goofed up due to me being an idiot. My apologies.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Grand dad called it a Spanish windless and used it with a chain and a heavy pulley to double the force to pull stumps. Cut the tree off about 4 ft high, tir rope to get the leverage, tie to next stump, twist rope and you don't care which one gives, it would out pull a team of horses. For really big trees, he would snake hole a couple sticks of dynamite and break the tap root and lift it free, but that cost money.

3. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

0E1EBFE6-B9C6-4993-9BDC-7571FFC8E8DE. D10D0400-9E01-4913-9B98-E33509CB1F36. I never heard that term. Thanks. :D
    Here it is.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Grade school physics applies here, since force is applied to 2 ropes, force is doubled, stick acts as a lever with very short fulcrum, so force is multiplied again. Teacher in 5 th grade would have made me figure out how much force was applied with a 3 foot lever with 20 lbs applied to the stick and classify what type of lever was used. But that was in the one room country schools in the 1940's.
    Same principle was used by the Roman's to power their catapults, and also in a trap to use a spike or club to kill the prey.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Lancer, Motomom34, Dunerunner and 4 others like this.
  5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

After looking Spanish Windlass up I’m finding traps with this method too. Jackpot!
    :D

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Now I can finally build the rubber band airplane big enough to fly in that I always dreamed about when I as a kid!

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I would like to see that done. It would be interesting to witness.

Gator 45/70, Meat and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  8. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Why do I think Spanish Windlass vs burglar would be hilarious? Like something out of a Looney Tunes cartoon. Lol. :D

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Windless traps work very good and can be made for small animals and large animals and if you add a stone or a spike to the lever it is devastating

Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Also on a windlass you want your lever striking down not up it it swings up it will just knock the game out if the way down it pulls it down and keep s hitting it over and over again it can also be used as a snare engine

Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

If you look at the limbs on the ballista they get there energy from a windlass.

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  12. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I used the Twister for a handrail of sorts on my property awhile back. There was a tree that fell across a draw that makes a perfect bridge. The fall would be about 15 feet at the maximum point. With mule tape and this method it now is much safer. BTW the term “Twister” may only be familiar in the logging industry. They use it in the rigging occasionally. :D

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Twisting is not the safest move .
    I much prefer to use a truckers hitch, 3 to 1 for leverage and there have been times I've applied the 3-1 3 times to insure the load .
    The problem with these methods is that it severely stresses the rope reducing it's strength down the line .
    It is more profitable to have the right tooling to begin with , especially if the possibility of replacing said rope is thin . The use of pullies is invaluable and knowing how to apply them in an every situation is better all the way around.
    Providing the best resources for stress loads makes a life and death difference down the line .
    I cant see the future so I don't waste my resources .
    It is certainly a good idea to know your alternatives , but if the alternatives jeopardizes the future are you willing to take that chance ?
    I have ropes that are strictly work and expendable consumables ,these are not used in rescue or in over head lifting .
    I have log chain and cable for the heaviest pulls , especially if the cat is involved.
    I have been fortunate in that I have never been in a event the cable or rope broke under a load , however I have heard some serious horror stories of those that did, and its never pretty.
    As much as possible I keep 90 degrees to the load , and stay away from the ends of the load ,if possible . Obviously in some circumstances this is not possible, but one should have an escape plan should the end come flying at you .
    I spent several years working on boats at marinas , so lots of rescue operations and sudden events that required quick rope savvy . Also spent a few years in S&R doing over the side rescues . I was tasked with retrieval lines ,the rest of the team relied on.
    Ropes are great tools but they can be made frail . Respect that.

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  14. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I was going to mention those factors but you beat me to it. The breaking strength would be reduced obviously. It’s like when we used to wind up those little airplanes that were mentioned. “Just a couple more spins.” Oops. Good job. :D

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

w used the to tighten fenses .... that 1st post confused me as the stick was so big :rolleyes::p

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  16. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Getting a vehicle unstuck would be another use for the Twister. With enough rope you rig a couple of these devices up. Another thought is a side pull 90 degrees to prevent slipping back into the ditch. :D

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  17. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Stick to your thread about perfume. :whistle:

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  18. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Men....always looking for a bigger stick.....:p

19. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

This method has been used for execution in the past. A type of garroting. Now I would never do that during SHTF but I might use it to get someone to talk. For example: “Where’s your SpaghettiO’s stash?”

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I twist bailing wire for multiple purposes drawing things together .

1. Motomom34
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Bishop
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. DKR
  7. Bishop
    Here is a song can you relate to it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 15, 2018, 1 replies, in forum: General Discussion
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. Radishman