Two off-grid communities seeking participation

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Dust of the Sun, Jun 9, 2012.

1. MomMomKimmi

MomMomKimmi Monkey

Hi... It sounds to me like either of these communities might be a perfect fit for myself & my family. I'm Kimmi (45) I'm a mom, an artist & activist married to Steven (36) who is a very talented, hard-working carpenter who is looking to learn more about sustainable living techniques. We have 2 children, Destiny, (11) & Jaxon, (-almost 9) who are healthy, happy & very excited about the potential of making a change to off-grid, homesteading.

What we have to offer: as I said, I am an artist & very crafty as well & can beautify any space. ( I dream of collaborating on a shipping container home/earthship, and then hand painting the exterior to perfectly to match its surroundings) I am a "mad-woman" in the kitchen, lol & love to create awesome, organic meals for friends & family. When I was younger, I worked managing a greenhouse for several years & I'm literally chomping at the bit to learn more about all types of growing arrangements! I grew up in Rural east TN where part of my family were tobacco farmers, & part of my family, from Lovely Bluff, were once moon-shiners and I miss the simplicity of it all deep down in my soul! My husband can do all types of residential construction & furniture construction & can figure out how to make most anything work. We both LOVE animals & would love to gain more hands on experience in caring for them. Our children, unfortunately, are victims of the "technological" age at this point, and if for NO other reason, I'd like to make this move so they might enjoy a more simpler life, learning life/survival skills & so they grow into responsible, caring, self-sufficient adults.

What precipitated this desire/need to go off grid, you might ask? Well, in a nutshell, I believe down to the bottom of my heart, that sooner, rather than later, our country is going to collapse & the only people who will have a real chance at survival, will be those who opted for sustainability.... I like to call us, "return-fire hippies" lol!

Also, our room-mate who owns the home that our children were born and raised in has gone off the deep-end on prescription painkillers and worse with NO sign of letting up. It has created a VERY hostile environment inside our home and as a result, I have had a series of strokes & I'm afraid if I stay here, my next will be my last! I was left with no physical deficits & was inspired to change to a clean, organic diet & it has made all the difference in the world! I feel better physically now, than I have in years, but the emotional stress of watching the man you've considered your very best friend for a decade & 1/2 become the empty shell that he is now is going to kill me if I don't get out of here. Not to mention the VERY BAD influence he has on the kids & our marriage.

We are looking to make this move as soon as possible & need a temporary shelter & a space where we could construct a more permanent dwelling. Of course we want to be beneficial to the community in every way possible & perhaps someday, begin a mission to help others interested in surviving after the collapse as well.

I've taken the liberty of removing your email address for your security. Anyone that wants to contact you can use the private message "conversations" (click on your avatar.) Regards, and welcome aboard - RightHand

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  2. MomMomKimmi

MomMomKimmi Monkey

Thanks.... I'm new and didn't know I shouldn't post it.

3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Well, let me say welcome to the tree!!!

4. MomMomKimmi

MomMomKimmi Monkey

5. MomMomKimmi

MomMomKimmi Monkey

Oops! Well, I'm a better chef & artist than ninja, but thanks for having my back, lol

6. MomMomKimmi

MomMomKimmi Monkey

Then, thanks to her as well!

7. There seems to suddenly be a renewed interest in dropping out and seeking shelter on a farm...could it be that the top banksters are now jumping (thrown) out of 33rd floor windows?? A sure sign that the true economic collapse is getting VERY close. Anyway, anyone interested in joining sandra in southcentral Virginia, private message me. I apologize for lapses in checking activity here...will try and do better.

To jelliot: SAM is sandra's nickname...your quick negativity and accusations are one reason I have lost most faith and hope in people....so fast to tear down, accuse...when you don't know a damned thing

To Gopherman: THANKS for the Backup and Testimony

All this said, I MUST reiterate that sandra and her motives are good, the farm is very rough and primitive...it is no luxury bed and breakfast...this the result of being broke and fighting to hold onto...but the first step that most people just can NOT afford now is THE LAND...and that is in place. She needs real partners...people who COMMIT...not just wanna hang out. This has been the problem. And like it has been pointed out before, most people who are free to just drift to places like this have little to offer...finding good people is like finding a needle in a haystack. Sandra needs EITHER hard work or skills or investment (with all sides getting value)...but most of all commitment ... something people today just do not do. This is no offer of utopia. Community is tough. REALLY tough. And for the upteenth time, the conditions here are not comfortable....yet. And we continue to try. Gluttons for punishment I guess. Time is so short now.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  8. MomMomKimmi

MomMomKimmi Monkey

<<<<<<~~~~~~~~ committed. Hardworking family with skills! Husband is carpenter, I have farm & greenhouse experience, kids are healthy and chomping at the bit to learn & I am an artist that would be happy to sell my work for $ to help the community!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  9. kimmi-

LOVE the GMO Poster!!!!!

10. MomMomKimmi

MomMomKimmi Monkey

Thanks, it's an original acrylic painting I did.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  11. den_hart

den_hart Monkey

Dust, I have just recently registered with this site. I was wondering if you could possibly direct me to getting more information about the friends of yours that are starting communities? I look forward to hearing from you. Until then, take care.

Hello northga. I was wondering if you have gone off grid yet or if you are still looking to do this? I have been looking into this for quite some time now. I was wondering if there are any more people looking to do this as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  12. I'm interested in more information on this opportunity - either one actually. Is this still up and running? IF so, please message me. :) I'm just now in a spot in my life that my gypsy blood is pulling and after school is done in mid-June I'll be packing up and just 'driving'. To become part of something like this would be truly ideal! I can share my talents (so-to-speak) to whomever is in need of that information. Thank you and blessings for this information.

13. Wish I could!!!

14. Paul72858

Paul72858 Monkey

I am looking for just this kind of living. I am very energetic and willing to work at anything they want done. please help me get in touch with the right survivalist.

15. den_hart

den_hart Monkey

Hello Tuhua. You said that in mid June you'll just pack up and drive? Where are you driving towards. I have been talking with a couple of people who have land and is wanting to get a small group together. I have been thinking about it for over a year now. I've been reading up online and watching videos as well. I just haven't made the leap yet.

16. Paul72858

Paul72858 Monkey

Thank you btpost. You may be a crazy old man but you are very insightful. I appreciate the honesty.

17. Lindsay123

Lindsay123 Monkey

Very interested.

18. den_hart

den_hart Monkey

Hello Lindsay. I see you are new here. I am kind of new myself. I've been looking at the off-grid lifestyle change for over a year now. I just haven't made the big leap yet. I've been talking to some people for a while now. Where are you and what are your thoughts and plans?

19. pioneer woman

pioneer woman Monkey

Hello,

I am very interested in obtaining more information. It has been my desire to live off grid as the frontiers, for a very long time.

Though I am very aware of the times, my main motivation is that the frontier/pioneer lifestyle is deep in my blood. I have a passion for the land and love working it so hard that I am exausted at the end of the day.

I try not to compare my work with what others are or are not doing, but rather my work is unto the Lord. Therefore my standard of excellence is high.

The simple life of simply enjoying the perfection of nature, simply working hard with friends & neighbors, gardening, building, work frolics, enjoying stories and laughter with friends.

If anyone CURRENTLY has a community that is seeking more members, please do contact me. Thank you! :)

20. Oddmar

Oddmar Monkey+

That's 'trough' Sloth...lol.

03k12gt likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7