Two off-grid communities seeking participation

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Dust of the Sun, Jun 9, 2012.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

So, Fred, what is the purpose of your post? Are you looking for Folks to join, or just what? What State or Region, is your Village in? Inquiring minds might want to know.....

Had a nice chat with Fred, and he is looking for folks to come join his Village... So, some of you Monkeys, that have expressed interest in such a Place, can PM Fred, and maybe find what you both are looking for.....

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    JohnSteven likes this.
  2. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Fred's gonna need lots of sawdust, and a place for all that poo.

3. Fred Seton

Fred Seton Neophyte Monkey

We are now building a workers cooperative village, with several tiny to almost tiny timber frame houses and a central dining/kitchen/theater/laundry/freezer. The central building will contain a clean burning high efficiency biomass boiler that will heat all of the houses and central building with radiant floor heat plus generate electricity. Most furnishings, widows, doors and such will be recycled from Habitat for Humanity. This will be combined with a large grid-tie solar system, with the object of producing more electricity then the village uses. All toilets will be composting sawdust type. To conserve land use and encourage a community atmosphere house will be clustered close, at least one meal a day will be shared. Only walking and small electric carts will be used in the village. Green houses and gardens will grow most of the food needed year around, also generating a surplus to share. The shops used for manufacturing are about six hundred feet from the village. The business’s have internet service, with no Wi-Fi or Cell Phone service in the Village. There are four successful online business’s now operating on the site, With a new startup of which is now building the Tamarack Village cabins. My wish is to turn these present business’s into a sustainable Co-operative supporting the village and future of families working there. Fred Seton, fredseton@hotmail.com,

Fred has a sawmill

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Fred also repeats himself, usually not needed.

5. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Well Fred, that's a start, and I mean this sincerely. I googled your "Hexaloghomes" and found your listing on IC.org.
    I've seen four of these communities in my area attempted and failed and its been frustrating. What sucks is the last project actually had a viable business plan and the person running it just dropped the project without explanation.

I've taken the liberty of excerpting this from your page on IC.org:
    There are four successful business’s now operating on the site, Complete Radiant Floor Heat Information Site High Efficiency, Gasification Wood Burning Boiler heatingmanifolds.com and CeraStove Wood Burning Stove

This should give the Monkeys here a better understanding of where you are and what you already have up and running.

Best wishes. [coo]

Edit to add: I don't know what happened but the text of what I had cut and pasted into this post changed and links were added. I don't know if they link to the four business in your post at IC.org or not.

Must be some newfangled forum "feature".[tongue]

Ganado and pearlselby like this.
  6. ghrit

Been used for a couple years, yes, it is automated.

7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

We had our first BO gathering on the farm last month. Next is in @ Oct. We have a mobile classroom going in and a porch for it also. That will be our gathering place in inclement weather and may morph into living quarters for a caretaker. I left our lean to in place and still our platform "tent" is set up. Will have water/elec hopefully if the codes do not stop me. Never can tell what those people want.

8. Jason_M

Jason_M Like mind, Like mine.

Do you have modern amenities? hot shower, plumbing and internet? I am single male 28, can mig weld to blue print specs. good with power tools etc. can an american move to nova scotia?

9. ENFPhooper

ENFPhooper Passionate about off grid

Hello there!

I'm ready to make a serious change in my life. I am currently living in the Charlotte, NC area and am ready to leave it all behind and work hard as a part of an off grid community.

To be quite honest, I don't know what to look for, where to start, I just know I am very serious and passionate about this and need some sense of direction. I am very interested in the ones you've spoken of here and willing to help in any way possible. I've got a variety of work experience that could benefit a community.

Any way you could help would be amazing. I am very serious about this and desperate to become a part of a community like the ones you spoke of. From what I read on the post, it seems like a dream.

Thank you for taking the time to read my reply.

-Heather

10. JohnSteven

JohnSteven CHUNKY MUNKY

Me too, just signing up here. And beginning to look around.
    Curious about Fred's "thing" and the Virginia (84 acre) "thing".

I myself am a "hard worker" and I'm generally skilled.
    can see myself building / maintaining "facilities" for a group. Solar / wind / agro stuff (plumbing?)
    I just want to put my life effort into a good thing / more natural existence.

hey Gopherman,
    are you still in contact with Sandra?
    I'd Love to contact / speak with her.
    (am I "PM-ing"?) ... (HOW do I PM? ... LoL... trying to find the "PM" button)

---
    these responses are quite "dated"
    how's it going in your "Nova Scotia" endeavor ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2015
  11. ghrit

@JohnSteven
    PM - private message. This software call them "conversations". Go to the upper right, you should see what looks like the backside of an envelop. Click on it, you should be good to go from there. You may not yet have crossed the threshold of posts to allow that, but soon enough, if you keep posting useful stuff, you will.

12. JohnSteven

JohnSteven CHUNKY MUNKY

LoL .... yeah...... I think I just figured that out.
    I've not yet spent a lot of hours here / online ..... but ... tonight am just poking around a bit.
    Thanx for the tip...
    and I appreciate you lookin' out for me here.
    Any other hints (from anybody) appreciated!
    (never been part of any prepper / online group before!)

--------
    I imagine I'll be "awkward" with this interface a little while longer.... but ...
    I'll hang-in ... keep playing with it here...

Ganado likes this.
  13. ghrit

Read, read, and read some more. After that, questions welcome.

14. JohnSteven

JohnSteven CHUNKY MUNKY

Working on it !

RightHand likes this.
  15. jllewing

jllewing Monkey

I am very interested in the 84 acre place. I am good with a garden, train horses, good with all livestock, worked them all my life. Also a pastor, look forward to hearing from you.

pearlselby and Ganado like this.
  16. hammerman25

hammerman25 mmmm bacon

hey I would be interested, I am survivalist trained, I have a background in construction, landscaping,and farming, I could have up a number a shelters in less than a week able to house at least 5 comfortably you can contact me on here or on my email at holtmantim@yahoo.com pretty much a knife and a ax and I am good to go just about anywhere, I also have tech skills in vet assisting, and architecture engineering

17. Glitch138

Glitch138 Monkey

i am interested in the VA community can i please get contact info

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2015
  18. Glitch138

Glitch138 Monkey

Thank you

Motomom34 likes this.
  19. J&MBixler

J&MBixler Monkey

My husband, son and I are looking to move off the grid sometime in the next year. We would like to do this in the mountains of NC. I really don't now where to start. We want to build an earth bag home. Any advice would be awesome and appreciated.

20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Hi @J&MBixler welcome to the monkey. Not sure if you are looking for how to & what steps to take to or if you are looking for a group.

You can follow the link (below) and post a thread, introduce yourself and ask all the questions. The monkeys here would be glad to help.
    New Member Introductions | Survival Forums

If you are looking for communities in the NC area- there are a couple sites that may be of use. Prepper groups has a few ads for NC Prepper Groups

Glad you joined.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7