TX Students forced to create anti-gun artwork for teacher's crusade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ditch witch, Apr 10, 2013.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Public university art students forced to design anti-gun propaganda - Yahoo! News

An assistant professor of art and graphic design at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas is under investigation for allegedly forcing graphic design students to create anti-gun artwork for her own personal crusade against firearms.
    Campus Reform broke the story and confirmed that officials at the public, taxpayer-supported school launched an investigation after receiving a student’s official complaint last week.
    According to the complaint, the professor, Jennifer Yucus, required students to produce posters in opposition to certain gun-friendly legislation currently making its way through the Texas state legislature.
    “Several of my classmates were uncomfortable with the assignment and either quietly or openly expressed this,” reads the complaint. “Professor Yucus asked students to rationalize objections by thinking of it as a job from an employer (or words to that effect).”
    But, wait. It gets better. Yucus allegedly exploited the student-created artwork to advertise an anti-gun petition called “MSU is anti-Concealed Carry on Campus.” She also made students put the URL to her petition on their original art.
    Yucus also seems to have hung the posters prominently on campus and placed them on a now-deleted Facebook page espousing gun control.
    “Professor Yucus took photos of her students in the process of drafting and creating the posters, but did not say how these would be used,” the complaint continues. “The posters were then hung in the hallways of the Fain Arts building, giving the impression of student support.”
    A plain reading of Texas law seems to indicate that Yucus committed a crime if she indeed made her students create art in support of her pet political causes.
    The germane portion of subsection C of 556.004 of Government Code, Title 5 reads: “A state officer or employee may not use official authority…to interfere with or affect the result of an election or nomination of a candidate or to achieve any other political purpose.”
    According to The Texas Tribune, Yucus makes $46,008 annually. She was hired at Midwestern State in 2010.
    “It is a serious offense,” Midwestern State’s provost, Betty Stewart, told Campus Reform.
    Until the investigation is complete, Yucus will continue to teach courses.
    Yucus also has a website. There she explains that, as a designer, she hopes to approach “social issues through effective design that educates the masses while utilizing earth-friendly design practices.”
    In addition to her alleged passion for gun control, Yucus says on her resume that she is “motivated by various social issues such as women’s rights, various issues in Uganda and global sex trafficking.”
    She also says she seeks to “create effective social awareness pieces that will have an effect on our national and global situation.”

2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Well maybe she should quit and spend her time trying to work on solving the issues on her own time. Oh wait, then she can't force people to do what she wants, then claim she's against dictator mentalities.

Beano likes this.
  3. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

got an idea this woman was raised thru the entitlement system .... possibly generations worth .... she probably sees absolutely nothing wrong in breaking all the rules to achieve for goal .... nobody has ever told her .... NO!!!

4. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

'nobody has ever told her' is an excuse assuming that she has no brain to go along with her teaching degree! She has a brain, and she CHOSE to BREAK THE RULES. If I'm overreacting, I'm sorry, and it's not aimed at anyone here. I just live in a city where everyone has one of three attitudes:
    1) I don't have to obey the rules as long as I don't get caught.
    2) I can do what I want, since it (usually public transport or area) isn't mine.
    3) Since I'm a taxpayer, it's mine, and I can do what I want with it.

I'm sick of all of it. She knew it was wrong, she just a) thought she wouldn't get caught, or b) didn't care.

My vote's on the latter. :mad:

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

There was a graphic design instructor at a college or art school years ago down in Dallas... story came to me from my graphic design instructor at the time so details aren't extensive. Anyway some students of hers discovered her online portfolio, and found a lot of their assignments in it. Come to find out she'd been doing freelance work on the side for stuff like logos and brochures, etc, and handing the jobs to her students as class assignments. She'd take the best one and pass it off as her own and get paid. He said she was out of a job by the end of the day, and the students whose work she stole were talking to an attorney about suing her.

That one knew better, but figured she'd never get caught. From the way this article reads though, I'd say this one knew she'd be caught and didn't care. After all, she had them put her URL on some of the art work.

6. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

I couldn't agree more, DW, and BTW, love the killer pumps. God, I wish I could wear something like that again.

7. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

So, in the context of the sex trades she thinks it's wrong to use force or coercion to make someone do what they do not want to do. But in the context of promoting her personal agenda, it is ok to use force or coercion (thru course work necessary to graduate) to make someone do what they do not want to do.

Typical.

AT

ditch witch, Yard Dart and VHestin like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7