"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered"

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by RightHand, Mar 22, 2013.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It was 237 years ago that Thomas Paine published the now famous words "These are the times that try men's souls." I wonder if he foresaw that there would be other times in the future that would challenge us in the same way. Over and over again, our moral compasses have been impugned as well as our willingness to defend and protect the values to which we each, individually, subscribe.

The challenge that we now face as a nation is to defend our constitution against "enemies, foreign and domestic." That may seem to be a daunting task for the individual but just as the Continental Congress called upon the people to become "citizen soldiers," we must call upon our fellow citizens to do the same today because we are no less threatened now then we were in 1776.

What is a citizen soldier in 2013? We are today's "3%" and our responsibility to the generations that will follow us is to educate the sheep and reduce the apathy that is rampant in our society. The arms that we take up are our words. The shots that we fire are the meaning of our constitution.

So often, we belong to groups and have friends who subscribe to the same beliefs that we hold. We preach to the choir. We discuss, we rant, we beat our chests in frustration and indignity when what we should be doing is sleeping with the enemy as a friend of mine so aptly put it. We need to broaden our individual circles to include those who don't see any threat to our way of life. We need to be willing to be the people with a purpose. We can no longer afford to be silent. Instead of talking about assaults on our constitution with the guys after a trip to the range, go to a coffee shop and talk to the waitress or the person sitting next to you. When you go to the post office, talk about it to the postmaster. When you're waiting in line at the market, talk about it to the person behind you. Use your words to spread knowledge and inspire the herd, not just to complain to your brethren.

Yes, there are those who will choose to dismiss you and view you as just another nut with a cause, but there are others who's interest will be stirred. They will actually hear what you say and think about your message. Those are the ones who will talk to their circle of friends and neighbors and the process will continue. Our job is to overcome their apathy and replace it with understanding of what is at stake. It is only then that the 3% will have a chance of growing into 5%, then 10%, then 50%.

You hold the power within you to do this and it is your responsibility as an American citizen to act. Don't allow your voice to be silenced.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Nice post, RH.

I, for one, have spoken with others from time to time. Through the years, I have learned sometimes the best conversation you can ever have is with a complete stranger. As for the people I currently work with, I have sized them up and concluded most are hopelessly lost, and there's no sense trying to convince people who are complacent and ignorant. There's just no hope for most people, period. No amount of talking, no amount of proof will change their minds. These people have their tiny lives, their taxed and rented homes, two cars and four children. As long as the television works and they can go shopping at Wal-Mart, their world is perfect.

There are a lot of good people out there who are informed and ready to fight when it comes time. Like always, we will have to drag the others along, kicking and screaming if we must. In the end they will thank us for it.

3. Beano

Beano Monkey

I recently started trying. I get a lot of funny looks, surprisingly, from people who are quite conservative. The normalcy bias is very powerful. I liken the general population to petulant folks sticking their fingers in their ears and going "LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA" while the pieces break off.

4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

You're right, RH! I talk... to everyone. I've found that most people I talk to are very kind, even if they disagree.

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I just had a 2A conversation with three college girls, while waiting in line at the bank. Started the conversation off with silver coins from different years, and which would be worth more, why to collect them, then on to protecting what you have, and your Rights. Used the "Behind every blade of grass", quote, and why it made a difference in their lives, and now two of the three, want to pursue shooting lessons. I pointed them to a local indoor shooting range, and mentioned my intent to get a CCW. So, a few more seeds are sown.

tacmotusn likes this.
  6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Now Kellory, you aren't going to try and tell us, that while that conversation was ongoing, you were not checking these young ladies out and thinking "guns and girls"........ hmmmm the possibilities. ................ Actually I applaud your efforts to educate these innocent ewes. Maybe they will evolve into something other than simple sheep.

Brokor likes this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Too young for me, but at least they understood, all guns are dangerous, even so called "empty" ones.

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

With all that has been going on I have posted many "educational & controversial" topics on my FB page, hoping for dialog. 80% of the people listed as friends ignored or shunned my introduction to these topics. What surprised me the most was the lady with the mini-van full of children seemed to be the one that understood and appreciated the posts. My friends, current or former military were all silent, not even a thumbs up. I just watch as post after post from these people are all about them and their lives. I think many can't see outside their today. I guess I need to shrug my shoulders and declare them as sheep that chose not to look up.

One thing I have noticed is if you point out the actual truth and crush the fantasy that people get mean. I find it disturbing that people will personally attack ME because I refuse to allow them to spread lies that they have been told and believe. I am even nice when I point out a flaw in their understanding of situations.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7