U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy dies at 77

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Conagher, Aug 26, 2009.

  1. Conagher

    Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy dies at 77

    Liberal lion loses yearlong battle with brain cancer at Massachusetts home

    HYANNIS PORT, Massachusetts - Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, the liberal lion of the Senate who lost two of his brothers to assassins' bullets, has died after battling a brain tumor. He was 77.

    For nearly a half-century in the Senate, Kennedy was a steadfast champion of the working class and the poor, a powerful voice on health care, civil rights, and war and peace. To the American public, though, he was best known as the last surviving son of America's most glamorous political family, the eulogist of a clan shattered again and again by tragedy.

    His family announced his death in a brief statement released early Wednesday.

    "We've lost the irreplaceable center of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism, and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever," the statement said. "We thank everyone who gave him care and support over this last year, and everyone who stood with him for so many years in his tireless march for progress toward justice, fairness and opportunity for all."

    Long-serving senator

    Kennedy was elected to the Senate in 1962, when his brother John was president, and served longer than all but two senators in history. Over the decades, he put his imprint on every major piece of social legislation to clear the Congress.

    His own hopes of reaching the White House were damaged — perhaps doomed — in 1969 by the scandal that came to be known as Chappaquiddick, an auto accident that left a young woman dead.
    Kennedy — known to family, friends and foes simply as Ted — ended his quest for the presidency in 1980 with a stirring valedictory that echoed across the decades: "For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives and the dream shall never die."

    The third-longest-serving senator in U.S. history, Kennedy was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor in May 2008 and underwent surgery and a grueling regimen of radiation and chemotherapy.

    His death late Tuesday comes just weeks after that of his sister Eunice Kennedy Shriver on Aug. 11.

    Surprise blessing

    In a recent interview with The Associated Press, Kennedy's son, Rhode Island Democratic congressman Patrick Kennedy, said his father had defied the predictions of doctors by surviving more than a year with his fight against brain cancer.

    The younger Kennedy said that gave family members a surprise blessing, as they were able to spend more time with the senator and to tell him how much he had meant to their lives.

    The younger Kennedy said his father's legacy was built largely in the Senate.

    "He has authored more pieces of major legislation than any other United States senator," Patrick Kennedy said in the interview. "He is the penultimate senator. I don't need to exaggerate when I talk about my father. That's the amazing thing. He breaks all the records himself."
  2. Clyde

    Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

    a kennedy will replace him. I predict.
  3. Seawolf1090

    Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

    "For nearly a half-century in the Senate, Kennedy was a steadfast champion of the working class and the poor, a powerful voice on health care, civil rights, and war and peace. To the American public, though, he was best known as the last surviving son of America's most glamorous political family, the eulogist of a clan shattered again and again by tragedy."

    Eewww..... it's gettin' DEEP! :sick:

    With the younger woman having fizzled, and none others interested, maybe we have at last seen the well-deserved end of the Kennedy Dynasty in US politics? Unless they shove another poor sod into the family Senate Seat. Heck, they still have John Kerry in there. :rolleyes:

    RIP, Teddy. Hope you like it hot.......
  4. ghrit

    ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

    Well, at least there is a diversion from all the blather about the jackson fruit.
  5. Quigley_Sharps

    Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

    Adios... Sorry for the loss of life, but I am glad your gone.[freedom]

    Mary Jo Kopechne (July 26, 1940 – July 18, 1969)
    She can finally rest in peace, knowing that he has finally had to answer for his crimes.

    According to his own testimony at the inquest into Kopechne's death, Kennedy left the party at "approximately 11:15 p.m." When he announced that he was about to leave, Kopechne indicated "that she was desirous of leaving, if I would be kind enough to drop her back at her hotel". Kennedy then requested the keys to his car from his chauffeur, Crimmins. Asked why he did not have his chauffeur drive them both, Kennedy explained that Crimmins along with some other partygoers "were concluding their meal, enjoying the fellowship and it didn't appear to me necessary to require him to bring me back to Edgartown". Kopechne told no one that she was leaving with Kennedy, and left her purse and hotel key at the party.

    Christopher "Huck" Look was a deputy sheriff working as a special police officer at the Edgartown regatta dance that night. At 12:30 am he left the dance, crossed over to Chappaquiddick in the yacht club's launch, got into his parked car and drove home. He testified that between 12:30 and 12:45 am he had seen a dark car containing a man driving and a woman in the front seat approaching the intersection with Dike Road. The car had gone first onto the private Cemetery Road and stopped there. Thinking that the occupants of the car might be lost, Look had gotten out of his car and walked towards it. When he was 25 to 30 feet away, the car started backing up towards him. When Look called out to offer his help, the car took off down Dike Road in a cloud of dust. Look recalled that the car's license plate began with a "L" and contained the number "7" twice, both details true of Kennedy's 1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88.

    According to his inquest testimony, Kennedy made a wrong turn onto Dike Road, an unlit dirt road that led to Dike Bridge (also spelled Dyke Bridge). Dike Road was unpaved, but Kennedy, driving at "approximately twenty miles an hour", took "no particular notice" of this fact, and did not realize that he was no longer headed towards the ferry landing. Dike Bridge was a wooden bridge angled obliquely to the road with no guardrail. A fraction of a second before he reached the bridge, Kennedy applied his brakes; he then drove over the side of the bridge. The car plunged into tide-swept Poucha Pond (at that location a channel) and came to rest upside down underwater. Kennedy later recalled that he was able to swim free of the vehicle, but Kopechne was not. Kennedy claimed at the inquest that he called Kopechne's name several times from the shore, then tried to swim down to reach her seven or eight times, then rested on the bank for around fifteen minutes before returning on foot to Lawrence Cottage, where the party attended by Kopechne and other "Boiler Room Girls" had occurred. Kennedy denied seeing any house with a light on during his journey back to Lawrence Cottage.

    In addition to the working telephone at the Lawrence Cottage, according to one commentator, his route back to the cottage would have taken him past four houses from which he could have telephoned and summoned help; however, he did not do so. The first of those houses, referred to as "Dike House", was only 150 yards away from the bridge, and was occupied by Sylvia Malm and her family at the time of the incident. Malm later stated that she had left a light on at the residence when she retired for that evening.

    According to Kennedy's testimony, Gargan and party co-host Paul Markham then returned to the pond with Kennedy to try to rescue Kopechne. Both of the other men also tried to dive into the water and rescue Kopechne multiple times. When their efforts to rescue Kopechne failed, Kennedy testified, Gargan and Markham drove with Kennedy to the ferry landing, both insisting multiple times that the accident had to be reported to the authorities. According to Markham's testimony Kennedy was sobbing and on the verge of breaking down. Kennedy went on to testify that " had full intention of reporting it. And I mentioned to Gargan and Markham something like, 'You take care of the other girls; I will take care of the accident!' -- that is what I said and I dove into the water". Kennedy had already told Gargan and Markham not to tell the other women anything about the incident "ecause I felt strongly that if these girls were notified that an accident had taken place and Mary Jo had, in fact, drowned, that it would only be a matter of seconds before all of those girls, who were long and dear friends of Mary Jo's, would go to the scene of the accident and enter the water with, I felt, a good chance that some serious mishap might have occurred to any one of them". Gargan and Markam would testify that they assumed that Kennedy was going to inform the authorities once he got back to Edgartown, and thus did not do so themselves

    According to his own testimony, Kennedy swam across the 500-foot channel, back to Edgartown and returned to his hotel room, where he removed his clothes and collapsed on his bed. Hearing noises, he later put on dry clothes and asked someone what the time was: it was something like 2:30 a.m., the senator recalled. He testified that, as the night went on, "I almost tossed and turned and walked around that room ... I had not given up hope all night long that, by some miracle, Mary Jo would have escaped from the car."

    Back at his hotel, Kennedy complained at 2:55 am to the hotel owner that he had been awoken by a noisy party. By 7:30 am the next morning he was talking "casually" to the winner of the previous day's sailing race, with no indication that anything was amiss. At 8 a.m., Gargan and Markham joined Kennedy at his hotel where they had a "heated conversation." According to Kennedy's testimony, the two men asked why he hadn't reported the accident. Kennedy responded by telling them "about my own thoughts and feelings as I swam across that channel ... that somehow when they arrived in the morning that they were going to say that Mary Jo was still alive". The three men subsequently crossed back to Chappaquiddick Island on the ferry, where Kennedy made a series of phone calls from a payphone by the crossing to his friends for advice; he again did not report the accident to authorities.
  6. sniper-66

    sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    It would be befitting to throw his carcass in the same creek that he left Mary Jo to die in. I failed to be one of the ones when the news said that the entire country was in mourning, I went about my business as usual, dodn't notice any difference in my day.
  7. ghrit

    ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

    I am embarrassed that our flag is at half staff for that bloated bag of alcohol consumption.
  8. tangomike3

    tangomike3 Monkey++

    Wow. I got banned on whenshtf for merely mentioning we might be getting another national holiday. Glad to see that you can comment here on actual threats to our lifestyle and freedoms.
  9. E.L.

    E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    [SIZE=+1]Hyannis , MA [/SIZE] -The Kennedy family just announced the funeral ceremony will be private and the senator will be buried at sea in a 1967 Oldsmobile.

    However, there appears to have been an accident on the way to the funeral.

  10. Quigley_Sharps

    Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

  11. E.L.

    E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    Just makes me glad that the bastard is dead. Too bad he didn't go down with Mary Jo. [freedom]
  12. ghrit

    ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

    Substitute "instead of" for "with" and I'm on your page.
  13. eng

    eng Monkey++

    This pig's death has sucked up a hundred times more coverage than Reagan's. That's perverse. Hey, TangoMike, I used to live in Dahlonega.
  14. Valkman

    Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    What a shame that he gets buried in Arlington, I thought that place was special.
  15. tangomike3

    tangomike3 Monkey++

    Yepper. Just about a hog run and a half west of there.
  16. magnus392

    magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    1 down, So many more to go.
  17. Galactus

    Galactus Monkey+++ Founding Member

    I ate Mr. Kennedy. He alone will sustain me for quite some time.
  18. Seacowboys

    Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

    must have been kinda like eating the worm out of an apple?
  19. Conagher

    Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    More like the worm in the bottom of a Jose Cuervo tequila bottle......:D
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary