uBITX qrp radio spurous emissions warning

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by DKR, Oct 5, 2018.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

spurious emissions; harmonics – uBitx

Spurious emissions (spurs) generated in the double balanced mixer at 45 MHz that exceed US emission standards on SSB above 18 MHz. This issue is exacerbated by higher audio drive levels (e.g. if you have added a mic preamp or voice compressor). This issue is an unnoticed design issue.

Lots of folks purchased one of these radio at $109. Turns out, may not have been a good buy - the radio does not US regulatory standards for spurious emissions.

Check the above link for updates.

Dunerunner, BenP and sec_monkey like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. HK_User

1. Bee Case

www.beecase.com/portable-radio-cases.html
      The Best features and Pricing Bee has a full line of top quality leather and nylon cases for virtually any Two-Way portable and Tetra radio available.
    2. uBTIX is the key of these Bad sites. McAfee is a pretty good warning so enter at your own risk.

Also Bad site as is this.
      1. Delivery – uBitx

ubitx.net/ubitx-delivery
        µBitx and Bitx40 transceivers are shipped by Paradigm E-commerce Pvt. Ltd (HF Signals) using either India Post or DHL at the choice of the purchaser. Shipping via DHL costs US$10 extra.

Dunerunner likes this.
  4. HK_User

Also seems to need a bit of shielding to protect your other electronics.
    Ubitx problem...I suck at soldering.

submitted 1 month ago by pr0t0npack00

So i got my ubitx on friday and put it together over the weekend. I surprised myself with the soldering and i think its good to go.

I plugged the ubitx into the power and it turned on...... but is that supposed to happen? I assumed the volume control potentiometer should turn on the radio on.. is this correct? Meaning, with the volume knob clicked to off, the ubitx powers on as soon as i plug it in, turning the volume knob to "on" has no effect. I made sure it was wired correctly so im at a loss.

Also as soon as i power it on, all my wifi printers power on at the same time from "sleep mode" lol. Any ideas?

Dunerunner likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Do all the Garage Opens in the neighborhood also open or close, when you operate the radio? [sarc1]

Dunerunner and HK_User like this.
  6. HK_User

No, but I can see the bones in my hand!

But that might be from the ionizing radiation I received from my Mil time that damaged my musculature system.

7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

When my neighbor, two houses away; keys up on certain frequencies, it changes my ceiling fan speed.... [LMAO] Dirty transmitters are a big deal..

HK_User likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I got a hammer that will fix that .

HK_User likes this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Before you go blaming the Transmitter, you just might want to look at the Fan Control System, for how well it is shielded from RF influences... Many times it has NOTHING TO DO with the Transmitter, but shoddy Design Practices of the OEM of the Fan... When I was a FED, one of the things I had to deal with was just this kind of thing. Transmitter was totally clean, on the Spectrum Analyser, but the Device 200yds away, had No thought put into any type of shielding from RF... Usually a couple of Ferrite Beads on the Power Leads solved the issue completely... Hams get blamed for this kind of stuff all the time, and 99% of the time it is Poor/Cheap Design by the OEM of the device in question..

npe1pas, HK_User and ghrit like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7