Uh-oh, I think my next house is going to be ..

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by VisuTrac, Aug 11, 2012.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Wood?

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yes. It was a fad here, and I can count at least a dozen, failing, deserted, or crushed, domes. Only 3-4 that are even occupied and in good condition.

3. HK_User

Wood framed domes are too leak prone and require extensive upkeep.

Mono or Geo using steel reinforced concrete is best.

But I do know of a Wood Framed Dome in SE Texas that has been in constant use for over 30 years.

Geo Concrete Aidomes.com - Domes from American Ingenuity, Inc.

SUPER-STRONG......up to 225 mph Hurricane Winds
    & F4 Tornado Guarantee
    The dome's geodesic shape combined with the steel reinforced concrete exterior allows for such a guarantee. Ai's standard design will accommodate up to 225 mph hurricane winds, F4 tornadoes and 75 lb. snow loads. In almost 40 years, Ai domes have survived all major USA hurricanes (Andrew & Katrina), tornados, a Hawaiian earthquake, and a 30" in diameter hickory tree impact with no structural damage. To read a recap of the Ai dome and acts of nature, click Nature.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  4. HK_User

Some place in my stuff I have a picture of a "collection" of domes. It' a place I've flown over and snapped a picture. Seems it has been there for a couple of decades or more. Pretty well kept and long term looking.

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Why don't you just bury a bunker underneath with ample space.... then use the silo as just a secondary exit and semi storage area for non- secure type items? This would disguise your exit yet yield no major security or other type issues that have been posted above....
    just a thought....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7