Ultimate 'doomsday' cabin in Alaska listed for $159K

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BTPost, Feb 23, 2018.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ultimate 'doomsday' cabin in Alaska listed for $159K

920x920.

If you’re in the market for a cabin in the woods, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better property than this fully stocked home

Best of all? The next homeowner will inherit the entire setup, including about a half-million dollars in tools and equipment on the property.

“The only thing I’m taking is my clothes and guns,” Cross says.

He’s leaving behind a Kuboto tractor, modified Chevy S-10 pickup dump truck, small-scale lumber mill, welding and cutting torches, mower, wood chipper, two snow machines, compressors, and a garage full of tools. The larger equipment, such as the tractor, was flown in on a dual-prop cargo helicopter.

If you’re in the market for the perfect doomsday cabin in the woods, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better property than Kevin Cross’ lakefront home in the Alaskan bush. It’s self-sustaining and surrounded by millions of acres of prime fishing and hunting land.

“It’s 75 miles from the nearest road, or any kind of town,” Cross says. “That’s 75 miles through woods that you cannot walk through. You might be able to snowmobile through them in the winter, and it’s questionable if you can get there by boat in the summer. For all intents and purposes, this property is designed for somebody to go away and not see anybody.”The nearest town is Skwentna, with a population of just 37 at last official count.

The 1,250-square-foot, two-bedroom, two-bath doomsday cabin on 7.6 acres is listed for $159,000. Cross bought the home six years ago as the ultimate getaway for his friends and family. The home’s original owner was a military vet with strategic expertise who spent thousands of hours crafting the ideal home for a hard-core prepper.

Best of all? The next homeowner will inherit the entire setup, including about a half-million dollars in tools and equipment on the property.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ah, well, 40 years ago and a different wife ---

oldawg, Gator 45/70, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Eight years ago and no husband....

4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

"“That’s 75 miles through woods that you cannot walk through. You might be able to snowmobile through them in the winter, and it’s questionable if you can get there by boat in the summer."
    So, I'm assuming you must fly into the place and land on the lake? You seriously, can't walk in/out?

Gator 45/70, Zimmy, AD1 and 2 others like this.
  5. BTPost

Oh you can try but TUNDA is not easy to walk on, and then there are the critters looking for an easy meal, to deal with... and 75 Miles is a LONG WAY... Likely three days minimum.? Bush plane or Chopper are the Only sure fire way in or out...

6. ghrit

Google Earth says Anchorage is well within that 75 mile circle. Winter walks are NOT encouraged in that nekka, and the rest of the terrain is not too nice. So, yes, seaplane required for access in summer, not too sure about winter, I don't see a flat spot for a chopper and know nothing about the ice thickness.

Without knowing more about portages, boat access is problematic. I wonder if there's a way to case the place for the right price.

Lat and long might help with GE unless it's there and I missed it...

Hm. Been listed for 400+ days. Someone want to make an offer?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  7. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I probably would have gone for it 20 years ago.. Wife... Not so much..

8. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

61.947486, -150.994974
    Looks like it to me anyway. Hard to tell but there appears to be creek access all the way down through to the Yentna River. A few spots look awful narrow and shallow. Have to visit at lowest water level in the late summer to know for sure. There's an air strip very close, not even a mile away as the crow flies, at the Bentalit Lodge but I haven't done any research to see what condition that might be in currently.

Lots of water and quite a few lodges and other cabin properties in the area. Remote but not necessarily devoid of people, especially during the summer tourist season.

Not a bad setup by the looks of it. Too bad I am terminally poor and as my RA gets worse over time the cold of AK isn't really going to work for me long term.

9. ghrit

Agree, that looks like it. Runways at about a mile and another one at a mile and a quarter crow flight on the other side of the lake at the river. (The Bentalit Lodge is also for sale, but evidently operative ---)

Also looks like three or four other "cabin" sites on that lake.

10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm a few dollars short , but if someone wants to buy it for a summer home , I'd be glad to be your year round caretaker.

11. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Google Maps

the airstrip is 4,168.76ft. away if the coordinates are correct

jus under 1 mile .. about 1.27 Klicks

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  12. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

So, I wonder if there is a chunk of the property that lends itself to building closer to a road? Not us. My husband would love the idea of being nowhere near anyone.

13. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Really, really wish I could do that, alas, I still need to work and likely can't do the IT manager thing quite that remotely

14. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

No doubt. Kudos to the monkeys who can tolerate snow, ice, etc. But, if I have to don anything more than a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops (year-round), it's not for me. I don't even own a pair of shoes, boots, or other covered footwear. It just isn't necessary here.

15. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

After what I paid in taxes this year - well - I don't even want to think about spending any money for a good long while. I still get sick whenever I think about it or reach for a bottle, was drunk for 2 days grieving, never in my entire life heard of anyone paying that much, still in shock if you can't tell...

The problem is you got to have a plane. How you going to get enough grub and things you got to have, and more importantly booze and meds if you can't even hump or paddle out (but let's face it, you cannot carry enough stores on your back to accomplish anything). That means you would have to rent a big damn helicopter and bring in thousands of pounds of stores at a time. What one needs to do is get 4 different people to go in together and make the guy a $100,000 offer and if he bites then you got a part-time fishing/hunting lodge and if someone want to live there as caretaker that's even better. Charter helicopter once a year... but if you had a plane the place would be perfect.

16. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I could sell what I have now and do it but there wouldn't be cash reserves or income when I got there and something was missing or damaged.

I would be a fat old greenhorn with nobody to teach me the tricks of living up there. That is a bad learning curve.

My what a beautiful fantasy it is though.

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've fished on the Yetna river and stayed at The Rebels Roost bear hunting, After walking 75 miles up there even on a good place you would only have 1/2 pint of blood left in you

ditch witch, Zimmy, ghrit and 4 others like this.
  18. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

[LMAO][fnny]

19. BTPost

Just wear Long sleve clothing and elastic cuff long pants... a turtle neck, shirt, and spray your Head with deet powder.... Our skeeters are known to be thirsty, but you can mitigate them with experience...

Zimmy, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I'm still picturing something like a CH-47 Chinook, hauling a farm tractor.
    Boy oh boy! I bet the Kubota mechanic loves the service calls taking him up there!

Zimmy, ghrit and oldman11 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7