Ultimate Reloader 14 Single Stage Press Shootout

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Dec 13, 2021.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Decided it was time to get a new single stage press and ran across this pretty informative and detailed shootout that includes operation as well as measurements for quality measures such as concentrically. The video is an overview and the linked article has a detailed write up and conclusion. Whatever you are looking for there is a press that meets your needs and budget. The presses reviewed ran from under a hunski to about a grand.

Being able to reload ammunition from a survival perspective gives you more options than if you don't. If you are looking to bulk cartridges like 9mm, 5.56, 7.62 (NATO and Commie) reload look into progressive presses that can perform all steps necessary with each pull of the handle. If you don't need high volume a single stage will still get you there with less cost and complexity. If you are new to reloading then a single stage press IMO is the one you should start with.

Written article:
    Fourteen Reloading Presses Compared: Single-Stage Shootout – Ultimate Reloader

2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Here is your survival reloader that you can drop in your bugout bag.

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I only use a rcbs rockchucker2 I bought 22 years ago for $20. Then I got another RC2 and some layman turret press at an estate auction.
    If I ever did get a progressive I would only get like a 4 station. So I can size, deprime, flare, maybe a second deprime and then wet pin tumbel. I always hand prime so I don't get a high primer and have to try and reseat high primers on live ammo. Then a 4 station can be used to charge, seat, crimp.

Brokor, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If manual indexing works for you the Dillon 550 is very hard to beat. They are as solid and precise as a progressive can get. I've seen a ton of videos and the others show a lot of movement where my 35 year old 550B is like a piece of solid metal even though it has replaceable tool heads.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When I was in the Custom Ammunition biz I started with an RCBS Rock Crusher… I still have it, after I sold off all the Dillon 550 Progressives when I moved to Alaska, and away from my Clientele… I always used the RC for the High Accuracy Ammunition, which I built using components that were already preselected into Lots… This gave the very best in “Repeatability” shot to shot that I could. produce… The lots were selected, by Case Volume for Brass, weigh for Projectiles, weigh for Primers, and OEM Lot for Powder… Tolerances were kept very tight and consistant…

6. Macgyver

Macgyver Monkey+

One of the best single station presses ever made and a favorite with bench rest shooters is a Bonanza Coax press. For a progressive hands down is a 550 Dillon.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I’ve used a Rock Chucker for years. Picked up a Square Deal B last year as something to do with Crafty Jr during the lockdown. We’ve had tons of fun!
    Seriously looking at a Dillon 750. I like the idea of auto-indexing. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

My Rock Chucker is bolted through two pieces of heavy 3" angle iron under the bench, that are bolted to the wall. When I was doing case conversions from .223 Remington to 7.62x38R Nagant I was lifting the bathroom wall at the bottom of the stroke and knocked everything off the wall. Oops!

Gator 45/70, VisuTrac and 3M-TA3 like this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The 750 is flat out awesome! Auto indexing is your friend if you are reloading large volumes of ammo, and most I know that use these (or the 1050) use them for pistol ammo and use accessories like Mr. Bullet Feeder to fully automate them. Just keep filling hoppers when needed. I know one fellow out here that has fully automated some 1050's and the press is motor driven. Sensors tell him when to fill things and powder charges are automatically checked with appropriate actions like the press stops and the alarm tells him what went wrong. You can basically take these presses as far as you want.

To me the 550 was and still is perfect. I can use it as a single stage or progressive depending on the cartridge, intent, and volume. IMO manual indexing is just fine for anything from small lots for load development to hundreds or even low thousands. I also like it because for me I QC every single load and the bullet doesn't get seated until I'm happy.

For me bolt action loads go the single stage route and I load semi automatic, rifle or pistol, progressively. The dividing line for me is if I'm using charges from a hopper it's progressive, and if I'm individually weighing loads I use the single stage approach. Yes, you can do it both ways on a progressive, indexed or not.

My ancient RCBS Jr (late 50's, early 60's) mostly does decapping prior to other operations since I like to clean out primer pockets before reloading.

My new single stage press is the RCBS Summit that's also in the review above. For my purposes I think it's the best fit, but it may not be for yours. This press is aimed mostly at precision and long range loads. The Dillon 550B/C is also quite capable of that as @BTPost can attest.

The answer is really what you want to do and how much you will be doing it. One thing is for sure - if you get a 750 and don't like it you can sell it quickly and might even make money on the deal.

10. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Thank you...sorry if I derailed the topic. I appreciate the comments of other monkeys on this subject. I never thought I would bother much with 9mm, until it couldn't be found. We have had a ton of fun with the Square Deal.
    Like a lot of others I'm sure, I have used the single stage for many years for rifle loads, and I find it a cool way to be very precise in load development. I have a lot of components stocked up over the years, was thinking it would be nice to be able to quickly churn out some loads for weekend fun.

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

IMO your question is on topic, because the thread is about the differences between presses. If I could find a similar article/video on progressives I would have added it. And, yes, progressives are valid to consider for survival purposes. I can see the need for local production of large quantities in many scenarios as well as to support training prior to SHTF.

Sounds like a 650 or 750 might be what you need. A lot of 650 purchasers are happy with them, but a lot of them move up to a 750.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. Gator 45/70
    Link Shooter's Reference Cartridges
    Thread by: Gator 45/70, Dec 11, 2023, 2 replies, in forum: Firearms
  2. wideym
  3. Gator 45/70
  4. Ura-Ki
  5. deMolay
  6. ochit
  7. hot diggity
  8. Big Ron
  9. Oddcaliber