Ultra Random PASS generation with Dice

Discussion in 'Technical' started by melbo, Jan 18, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

2. martywince

martywince Monkey+++

Try phrases that mean something to you!

You can make very strong passwords by using phrases you know very well. Example;

"Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya punk?"

Take the first letter of each character in your favorite phrase, and voila a really strong non dictionary based password.

difl?wdyp?

You can get even more fancy, supplant some vowels and consonants with numbers. Ala 'leet speek'

A=4
    E=3
    I=1
    O=0
    B=8
    T=7
    S=5

Now a phrase like "All your base are belong to us" would be:

4y848tu

The nice thing about this scheme is that if you know a phrase by heart that is obscure from a movie or just from your past it's easy to remember.

While it's not random by any means it would be hard as hell to compile a dictionary of even popular phrases and begin a password attack with it. If it's your own saying even better!

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Another meathod I have known of normaly used to be able to write out combos and such would be a straight numeric pass bassed on a set phrase so you could write it with letters to remember it or reverse it, mix them or whatever.

First thing is to pick a 10 letter phrase or word with no repeating letters. Say, 'black horse', then each letter becomes equal to one of the numbers from 0 to 9. B=0 L=1 A=2 c=3 and so on. Now you could wright your pass down beside the computer as say 'HREOSCLAB' to remember that the password is 579683120. If you wanted to this could be reversed and the numbers could be writen to remember the leters as the password,

If you wanted to take it up a level you could shift the numbers and say start at the A so it would be B=8 L=9 A=0 C=1 K=2 H=3 and so on then simply mix the leters and numbers something like 'b8a1k3o4s7'.

The main use I had learned about this for was for things like remembering the combo to a safe where you would use the coresponding leters to represent the numbers so it could be writen across the front of the safe and unless the person knew the system and the phrase you used to represent with then it would mean absolutely nothing.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Music notes and lyrics is one of mine.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7