UN approves resolution condemning US recognition...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bandit99, Dec 21, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

"UN approves resolution condemning US recognition of Jerusalem as Israeli capital"

For those of you who dropped out of the loop for Christmas or other reasons, President Trump decided to recognize Jerusalem as the Israeli capital and move the US Embassy there.

In the UN, Turkey put forth a resolution to condemn it and this passed today with 128 votes vs. 7 and 35 abstentions. President Trump stated something like "We give billions away in Foreign Aid and to the UN...we will remember those countries who tell us what we can or cannot do with our Embassy and those countries who vote against us and receive our aid" (this is the gist, not a direct quote, I'm too lazy to look it up but I did read it yesterday).

And, US Ambassador to the UN Haley backed that up with direct language " We will remember it when we are called upon once again to make the world's largest contribution to the United Nations," she said. "And we will remember when so many countries come calling on us, as they so often do, to pay even more and to use our influence for their benefit." Haley added that Thursday's vote "will make a difference on how Americans look at the U.N. and on how we look at countries who disrespect us in the U.N., and this vote will be remembered."

So, fellow monkeys, I would like to hear your opinion on the following...
    1. Is recognizing Jerusalem as the capital a good thing or a bad thing?
    2. Your opinion on Trump/Haley's response to the UN resolution?

I will start...
    1. It's a good thing and one that should have been done years ago. Why? Numerous reasons, but the main one is it is time to pick a side. Furthermore, continuing with this nonsense that they will split the city or give it to the Palestinians does nothing but give Palestinians a false hope - which might help them recruit terrorist, funding, or etc. and no matter what is said it will never be allowed to happen, never... I could elaborate and even give more reasons but want to keep this short..

2. I learned long ago that when it comes to intelligence and/or politics, especially World Politics, you can't assume that what is said or did is the complete and whole truth. Most the time, it is layered, like an onion. I see this as a win-win strategy for Trump administration. First, most Americans are fed up with the UN and if put to a vote today would vote them out of the country. I truly believe this and Trump knows this and he just did something that endears himself to these Americans. Second, the Foreign Aid package is worth somewhere ~$60-$70 Billion a year and we get very, very little for all this money which most Americans also know about so...so with a few chosen words Trump and his administration has not only allowed 128 countries to cut themselves off from their USA financial assistance, he has lowered the Foreign Aid cost while at the same time raised themselves in the eyes of the American citizenry. It's quite brilliant and ballsy. When they come hat in hand, and they will, it will be simple to check the list and say "You made your decision." Personally, I would like to see that Foreign Aid cut back to maximum $5-10 billion, maybe less, and specifically go ONLY to reliable friends/allies which now we know consists of 7 countries.

If anyone comes across the list (128 vs. 7 + 35 abstains) please post it.

EDIT: The more I think of this, the more I am really happy that FINALLY a President of mine told the UN to go suck eggs. I have worked around the UN pukes for years and believe me the cannot do anything without the USA's assistance but yet they always feel obligated to spit in our face. They need us much more than we need them - a lot more. The USA supplies the majority of all communications, transportation, logistics and funding and on top of that our Foreign Aid is probably more than all others combined. What do we get for it? Loyalty? Perhaps recognition? Maybe a thank you? Nothing. It's expected, more like demanded... It's a dream of mine that we boot them out of the country, move them to Switzerland.... I say that like the Swiss would take them LOL!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    3cyl, Seepalaces, Motomom34 and 5 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

1. Personally neutral. What it really does is flip the turd on the table to give everyone a sniff and MAYBE get talks off dead center. No more talks, Jerusalem will become defacto Israeli territory. I'm OK with that.
    2. Economic extortion, but it's about time that the well known facts of life were brought out. Pussy footing around is NOT in the tradition of the Bull Moose. It may well be worth the note that the US Fed gov't uses that tactic on the states whenever it can. Do you, Mr. (State), want highways or will you take care of your own dirt roads?

3cyl, Seepalaces, Bandit99 and 5 others like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I enjoyed the way Ms. Haley spoke to the UN. She left no room for doubt that the US is now under new management. The countries that refused to stand with the United States did use the words, bullying tactics when referring to President Trump. Ms. Haley warned that a list will be made of those that failed to stand with the US. It will be real interesting to see how this plays out in the future because they will want money, both UN and opposing countries but I have a feeling they will not be getting it.

Only Guatemala, Honduras, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau and Togo joined the United States and Israel in opposing the measure.

Seepalaces, Bandit99, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

4781A86000000578-5203067-image-a-10_1513879873572.

Seepalaces, Dont, Bandit99 and 4 others like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

About damn time! The U.S. pulled a real boner when they recognized Israel as a country, and then didn't back them! This has been going on from the beginning, and while various administrations have offer/sent aid and money, not one stood up and recognized the Israelis rights to sovereignty! Fast forward to the Obummer and, and the very telling snub, and the "support of Iran" that Obummer did, and it's a wonder we still have a friendship. This has been a major thorn in the side of many Americans for a very long time, and Trump finally shows his big brass ones and did something, many of us have wanted for a very long time.

As to the U.N. they have been a joke almost from the beginning, and NATO is/was no better. The fact that the U.N. is still relevant any where is a factor of money and power elites only, and it's long past time the U.S. told them to go pound sand up their ass! The U.S. should pull all money, all assets, and equipment and say By by! The anti piracy ops in the Gulf of Aden, should be handed off to one of the allies to be run without the U.N. involved! Each year, a different country takes the lead, but only the recogised allies can have assets involved, all others to be treated as suspect and removed from the region, by force if needed! Time to strip the U.N. of all power and finances from the U.S!!!!

Seepalaces, Dont, Bandit99 and 7 others like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

UN Blue makes for shitty camouflage but is an outstanding background for red dots and lasers.

The UN is like a perpetually broke child that refuses to find work and complains about the food and anything else you provide them. Not only that they want to make the rules and subjugate our sovereignty. And they want me to pay for it. Effem.

3cyl, Seepalaces, Dont and 10 others like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The UN is a complete joke and would not exist had it not been for support from the United States of America. If it were up to me I would cut all their funding and send them packing. Get out, Get lost and find another country to suck off of.

I agree with declaring Jerusalem as the location of our Embassy. If it gets some activity from the radicals, so be it. They should consider carefully their intentions as it would make for a better outcome for them.

Seepalaces, Bandit99, Zimmy and 5 others like this.
  8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I see many of the countries in abstentia are the ones with the most to lose. Truly a shame that they don't have the intestinal fortitude to stand up for what is imo right...

See my avitar for my feelings on the UN ;)

Seepalaces, Dont, Mountainman and 8 others like this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Much of the west bank of Jordan has been nibbled away by illegal Israeli settlements, it is hardly surprising that Jerusalem will probably suffer a similar fate. Not that TRump actually much cares about Israel itself, the decision is like to have been made for domestic political gain....mainly appealing to his Christian and conservative Jewish religious constituents, and those of his base who like the cut of his comb-over, and hate the UN.

You are right of course, Haley was making not so veiled threats of economic extortion. Economic extortion hasn't suddenly appeared with the election of His TRumpesty, Donald I. Economic extortion is a venerable tradition among the world's super powers. It is hardly surprising that those nation states most vulnerable to it, are marching lock-step with the USA, not wishing to be on Donaldo The Magnificent's 'naughty list'. Donald is just a little more open and unsubtle about wielding the economic sanctions stick, even with allies, former and present. It should be noted that Australia fence sat, by abstaining; Undoubtedly Donald will see that as a personal affront, and Malcolm Trumble will undoubtedly get a stern dressing down for not getting with Donald's program. 34 other countries abstained from the vote, but as far as Donnie the draft dodger is concerned, they did not vote in support of him, and undoubtedly will also join the 128 on the naughty list. The USA might have to get used to being considered a pariah state, like Zimbabwe. Donald, apart from pigmentation, uncannily shares a number of traits with Roberto the former El Presidente of what was formerly known as Rhodesia.

Being her master's voice at the UN will do Haley no harm....for the crappy blustering and bullying messages that she delivers, she can use the "I was just doing my job", or "I was only following orders" defences. Delivering his Trumpesty's diktat, will probably do her no harm as far as conservatives are concerned....she is a personality to be watched in the future, should she choose to throw her diplomat's top hat into the 2024 US presidential election ring.

Seepalaces likes this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Let that happen. A pariah state that can care for itself? Does not harbor terrorists? Stable interior politics? Has some faithful friends that were not bought? This is a bad thing?

11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Screw the UN. Pissed me off when they said we should pay reparations for slavery. That's a whole 'nother discussion tho.

12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I hold no ill will for those nation states which abstained. They obviously had no balls to directly oppose us so they sat on the fence. Those who do not take a side do not deserve to opine on the matter says me. That means your beloved home Chelloveck. Some of these countries who abstained are so pitiful they deserve help from any nation that can give it. jmho

Seepalaces, Bandit99, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  13. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

The UN reminds me of a bitch bridezilla who badgers her parents for tens of thousands of dollars to pay for her wedding...and then has a royal hissy fit when the parents want just a small part in planning the wedding.

Trump is 100% right: The United States pays and pays and pays...only to have all the freeloaders crap on us. If these other countries feel so pushed around by the USA, then they should stop taking our money and start paying their own tab. In other words, don't shit where you eat.

And to the countries who abstained but consider the USA a "friend" (I'm talking to you, Canada and Australia): You're more spineless than the nations who voted in favor of the resolution. At least they had the guts to take a firm stand.

The UN needs the USA far more than the USA needs the UN. I applaud Trump for giving them the big F***K YOU they so richly deserve. I only hope and pray he makes good on his threat to slam the checkbook shut. The bitch bridezilla needs to be put in her place.

3cyl, Seepalaces, Bandit99 and 11 others like this.
  14. duane

duane Monkey+++

The old story my dad told me, and he was one of Harry's greatest admirers, was that the State Department, the military, and all the stripped pants people said we have to go along with the British and protect our oil interests with the Arabs. Truman had a good friend who was Jewish, in fact had been in business with him, named Eddie Jacobson who argued in favor of recognizing Israel, and in the end Truman took his advice over that of his staff. Jacobson drove Truman's staff nuts, he could and did come to the White House unannounced and walk in and talk to Truman with no staff present. The Arabs complain bitterly about the settlements, but if they did not continue to lose their wars to destroy Israel, there would not be any occupied territories. Have had friends in college and in life who went to fight in the various wars, and for the most part they are the most ballsy bunch I have ever met. Their attitude seems to be that Hitler and Stalin killed us by the millions, one by one and no one did anything, it will never happen again, if we have to die again, we will all die as a nation, not one by one. Have to admit that as an American that resonates as to what we used to believe as a nation and I can't think of a much better goal for a nation. Seems that the new one in the USA, is I want and deserve what you have and I as going to take it.

As to the UN, it has done a little development work, but for the most part has become so infested with the new one world government, with no arms, no borders, no rights, global warming, and other liberal ideals. that it is at least worthless if not in fact dangerous.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    3cyl, Seepalaces, Bandit99 and 4 others like this.
  15. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

What Tevin said, plus:
    Israel stole land to become a nation in 1949, and the US has supported them since. We have turned a blind eye to their aggression as they have taken more land over the years, yet condemn other countries who do the same. I'm tired of protecting a country, not just Israel, whose religion says it's OK to cheat, lie to us (Christians), and even kill us. After reading the Torah many years ago, I personally do not support Israel in any capacity.
    The UN is a world-wide laughing stock, fielding ineffective soldiers and inspection teams who have no real teeth to enforce anything. They are a money pit that should be booted off of our soil and never again enjoy any of our assistance.

Other than that, I have no opinion on the matter...

Seepalaces, Mountainman and Bandit99 like this.
  16. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

So, how do you feel about the way we stole our whole country from native americans after we killed off 90% of them with Plague and pestilence not known before on the continent. Talk about lies. Our country is built on lies. Where would you like for me to start.

Seepalaces, Bandit99 and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

Seepalaces, Dont, Bandit99 and 7 others like this.
  18. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

I'm pretty much Bah-Humbug on the whole episode as I don't give a rip about our supposed ally Israel, I mean what have they actually contributed to America? I also don't give a rip about what the Muslims think, don't care for the UN, don't think we should even be in it, or allow it to be in NY, or anywhere else in the US. I also think Haley is overplaying the Big Bad Bully - I'm going to kick your a%$ or cut your funding, and Trump is just playing his cards in the high stakes poker game going on in DC right now. It's all politics, and total BS, except if it gets us in a kill or be killed situation - until then I'm just whatever on it. It does remind me of Washington's vision, where he saw the whole world was against us, which if true means the lead is getting ready to fly. In the meantime I'm GONE FISHING...

19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

U.N.
    Utterly Nut-less
    Fin

Seepalaces, Bandit99 and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Take that 60 to 70 billion that is probably all spent by the UN on blow and underage hookers and put it towards our own military.

1. Ganado
  2. OldDude49
  3. TnAndy
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Brokor
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7