Undo Blue Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Tracy, Oct 25, 2006.

1. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Conagher? I run Adware, Spybot, My antivirus program ....I have done all you suggested...

It's something that happened yesterday with the Media Player...and it hosed the sucker....

It is a royal PITA too let me tell you....I do have another computer...but have to get Comcast over here for a service call to set up the wireless and my phone and all....

My brain hurts....

(hush y'all!) :(

and nothing seems to work..

This is the pits...this computer is not that old...

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Maybe she should run a Hijackthis report and post the results here?

3. CRC

The geek I am on the phone with now suggested this...

Parrothead friend.....(owns a software company..and develops programs..)

4. CRC

Ok..So we can't find a solution..

This is the PITS.

I sooooo do not want to buy a new computer right now...

Anyone know anything about XP home edition?? And Windows Media ???

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

You don't need to buy a new PC. At worst, clear the HD and reload windows. BIG PITA but it is better than buying new.

Maybe your PC guy on the phone want's to try a 'remote desktop' session. Kinda like a Vulcan Mind Meld between him and your PC. Ask him about it.

You also may be able to try a XP reload over the old one. But, a lot of PCs ship with out the actual windows disk and if they gave you anything, it's more than likely a "Restore" diskthat clears the whole darn thing anyway.hga

6. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Go into Safe Mode and remove the Media Player from the Add/Remove programs list within the Control Panel. Then manually search for any files associated with the media player and delete them. Let me do some research on your error, I've seen it before but forgot what causes it....I'll be back a little later.

7. CRC

It won't let me in Safe Mode..

I had to roll it back to 10 though..and then I was ok to get online....

He said something about the 11 being in Beta..and some bugs?? A program attached itself to it....called URGE????

It is a royal Pain in my behind....

8. Conagher

When you reboot the pc, you need to push F8 repeatedly until you see a screen that asks you if you want to boot into Safe Mode, or Last Known Good Configuration, etc. Then pick Safe Mode and get in there and delete the Windows Media Player software and the Urge one too. You may have to do a search for the Urge software manually though...Keep me posted and I'll help you get it fixed.

9. CRC

I'm back....and had to take it back to Factory Settings..but that's ok...I do regular backups..and had a lot on disc....

Actually...it is like a brand new computer and kind of fun.....And it was Windows Media Player.....(Version 11? Still in beta...and some "definite bugs" to be ironed out before 1/1/07 when it is officialy released)

Just glad I didn't have to buy a new computer....and the tech support was , bar none, the best I have ever had on one of these type calls..!

Thanks y'all for all the support,and offers to help.....It's nice to be able to change things again..or add/remove programs....and to have a lot of just crapola stuff on here, GONE....:D

Again....THANKS!!!!!!!! Y'all rock! :)

10. Conagher

You're welcome CRC:D Anytime you need some help, just holler.

11. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Quig's the man

My other half has a box with xp pro on it and is always having problems with it. I have a Fry's 179.00 box with Linux Linspire 5.0 and it has been running smooth since 2003 with no problems. Bill left too many Gates open for me. Mozilla rocks!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7