Unintended Consequences, by John Ross 1996

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Brokor, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Unintended Consequences, by John Ross 1996
    ISBN: (978)1-888118-04-01

Link to .pdf version:
    Unintended Consequences

LINK TO THREAD ON NEW PRINTING (2013): Unintended Consequences, by John Ross 1996 | Page 9

ACCURATE PRESS: Unintended Consequences IS BACK! Also other adventure novels aimed at the Gun Culture, CCW Training Books, Books on Gun Control, Drug War and Drug Prohibition

On Amazon it can be found occasionally for random prices.

Brief synopsis:
    "Excellent combination of historical fiction and political thriller, this work chronicles the deterioration of gun rights in the United States by following a family through the 20th century. Included are detailed fictionalized accounts of the Ruby Ridge massacre, the FBI shootout in Miami in 1986, and the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of World War II. The book then moves to the present day, describing a rogue government agency that attempts to criminalize legal gun owners, and armed resistance breaks out.

Not for the faint of heart, this book is violently and sexually graphic, and its message will be objectionable to most. But it presents an interesting thought exercise--were the Founding Fathers serious when they established the 2nd amendment as a means of citizens defending themselves in the face of tyranny? And if so, what would that look like in the 21st century?"

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND ENTERTAINING READ. [applaud]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks for the link Brokor for those that have not had a chance to read it. I am currently on page 106 and enjoying the walk through history.

3. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Even though it's fiction, the firearms data and situational applications, along with the firearms history and U.S. Firearms Law history make this book a classic worth keeping and re-reading.
    It will certainly increase the reader's knowledge of what it can mean to be a gun owner under an increasingly repressive government.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I was ok with the "violence" part...
    I think the biggest problem I had, were that the sexual parts that were a downer for me.
    Good info on weaponry...
    ( due to a "contractual" conflict, I can't comment on the "cans" part)

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm hooked, on page 300.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

If this is on scribd, does that mean its public domain? I have the pdf but have refrained from posting it.

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

How did I miss this? thanks broker.

8. capt45

capt45 Monkey+

Brokor, thanks for the link to 'scribd'. I just bought a 24 hour pass for $5 and downloaded the pdf.

It's a little hard for me to read stuff on the computer, but if I print it, it will end up costing me about as much as buying a copy off eBay and I don't suppose Mr Ross gets any residuals/fees from either source. I don't like that either.

I sure wish Accurate Press (is this his own company?) would re-issue the book. But I'm glad to have access to it until they do.

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Since you have a 24 hour pass, you might as well download all they have to offer. I especially found the literary classics to be of unique importance.

L8R

10. ChrisNuttall

ChrisNuttall Monkey+++

flyaway likes this.
  11. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Monkey++

I have just started this book. Bought it last year and it has been sitting on the bookshelf while I have been studying other things. Seems a good time to get it out. Thanks for the reviews ... they have been helpful in getting me off high-center.

12. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

when I first learned there was a download, I wrote to Mr. Ross and asked if he was aware /had any objection...
    Not to speak for him, but what I remember of that was that he didn't approve but didn't worry too much about it, I guess he doesn't plan to try to stop it.
    I did get a paper copy from Amazon years ago, saw it at a few gun shows, didn't think of it as something that might become hard to find or I would have bought more. Our library system was listed as having a copy, but it somehow mysteriously disappeared. Wonder if some liberal decided to destroy it... I wouldn't expect the kind of people who'd enjoy the book would also be thieves.
    In the same vein, I have avoided buying the Matthew Bracken series "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic" and it's two sequels for years, but MAN am I glad my wife finally talked me into buying them as a set from a guy at a gun show table. We could maybe have saved a couple dollars (and I think they would've been signed) if we'd bought them from his site direct, but I'm just glad I've got them and read them now.

13. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Well...if it ever comes back into print I will buy a hard copy...and maybe I will anyway. But buying a copy for which Mr Ross has already received the royalty at a cost 5 times the amount his royalty was based on isn't going to do him any more good than the PDF on my Kindle...

14. Gray Bear

Gray Bear Monkey+++

UC is an excellent book. I happen to have an author signed copy of it. I saw the author at Knob Creek 10 or so years ago and he signed one for me right there.

15. melbo

That's how I got mine signed: at the shoot. We used to have a group of Monkeys that would meet up at KCR until a few years ago for a nice long weekend campout under the haze of gunsmoke...

16. Gray Bear

Gray Bear Monkey+++

I want to go back to the shoot, it was a great time. If I get a chance I'll try it in April.

17. melbo

At one point, KCR was my range when I lived in Louisville. When I moved to Knoxville, it was a pretty easy trip to make both Spring and Fall. Now I'm 2000+ miles away.

18. protector 6062

protector 6062 Monkey+

Almost finished it. The sex is understandable that sells extra books, the spin on some of the historical events are some what disappointing but the theme, focus, and message makes the book a classic. A must read for every American who values the U.S. Constitution and our way of life.

19. Drumbo

Drumbo Monkey+

"Unintended Consequences" is still in my too-read pile which grows weekly.

I have signed copies of Matt's "Enemies" books and they are really a great read about the degradation of gun-rights. He has a new one in the series coming soon.

I grew up in Hampton Roads, so the first book is a real walk down memory lane and even when he changes the names, the landmarks are unmistakable. It took me a while to figure out the "Tennyson Champion target pistol chambered in .223", until I saw Matt posting as "Travis McGee" on the HighRoad forum. It's a Thompson/Center G2 Contender with a suppressor and if I wasn't such a firearm tard I'd have known. Now I want one even though it's a single shot with a heavy pricetag compared to the Kel-Tec PLR-16 in semi-auto. [​IMG]

20. Dawg-fan-in-TN

Dawg-fan-in-TN Monkey+

after reading some of the reviews I'll definitely have to read this soon.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7