Unintended Consequences, by John Ross 1996

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Brokor, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Now UC is over $200 on Amazon and no paperbacks are in the works - there's too much demand for the hardcover. It is a must read.

2. ikean

ikean Monkey++

kindle,someone had a pdf, you can install kindle pc and download it. i cant remember which forum had the link though.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

- cough - check the link named 'Files' top right of the page.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

...or the first post in this thread (updated).

5. CoverBuster

CoverBuster Monkey+

Al of Bowmans friends are real people in real life , just the names are changed . Ross is a gentleman and truly upstanding human . He has also been a target of the ATF because of this book .

UC is a fact based Novel and the facts are the facts , Ross aint no dummy .

You can still get hardbacks for a fair price if you know where to look , like Salmon ID. area ................

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Don't be such a tease! Myself and one other just snapped up 2 copies sold here for $85 each and were happy to do so. If you know of a source with this book for less, be a true gentleman and a hero and post details here. The 2 sold here went in 30 minutes. We need a price and a PM exchange to get the job done if what you say is true.....

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I actually live 30 miles or so from Gainesville, Florida.... a rather liberal, left leaning college town and county. A major surprise to me was the local library system there had a copy, just one, of "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. This was about 2 years ago, and it had just been recommended to me highly as a must read book. It was a first edition that was not in very good shape. I suspect some of the liberals abused it. What a shame. I seriously considered checking it out a second time and keeping it. Eventually they would demand it back, and I would lie and say it was stolen or lost. They would make me pay what they paid for it only. What a deal! My conscience wouldn't let me do it. I felt it needed to be shared with a greater audience and restrained myself. I was down town last Monday and in a rather surly mood, and decided to do it anyway. My Good Karma Guardian Angel must have been looking out for me. It no longer was in the Library System. Either some liberal had trashed it because of its condition, or I hope some other fan of the book had beat me to the theft. I hope!

8. evar56k

evar56k Monkey+

I've read it twice and plan to do so again in the next couple of months. I absolutely love the story and gained knowledge on the gun laws of this country as well.

Does anyone know who the lady is that the "Bowman Group" set up to look like a suicide? It happens towards the end of the story. I have yet to figure that out.

9. CoverBuster

CoverBuster Monkey+

A true gentleman does not give out personal addys , a little searching for Class 3 dealers in Salmon ID should get you close .

10. Paladin44

Paladin44 Monkey+

Sounds like a great read. I'll have to start reading the PDF and the hardcover will be on my "to get" list. Thanks guys.

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Many people who take the time to read this book, and I would dare say 99% of the people who frequent forums such as this, would easily buy a copy of Ross's novel if it were available, even after reading the .pdf, just to support him and thank him. I would buy a dozen at least...but not at several hundred dollars per copy.

You should have asked him if he had a Paypal donation button. That would have been hammered by a few thousand people pretty fast -just to see him be rewarded properly.

12. ChrisNuttall

ChrisNuttall Monkey+++

I found a copy eventually. It was very difficult.

Chris

13. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

he does have a website, John Ross Concealed Carry Training and Author Unintended Consequences Henry Bowman Missouri
    It seems he teaches permit classes in MO, and there's a S&W .500 named for him, I think he gets some royalty from the sales of that.

I have one copy and would love to have more. Wish they'd make another run of them. In paperback would be awesome.

14. capt45

capt45 Monkey+

I wish JR would consider allowing UC to be 'published' and available on Kindle. While it's not as wonderful as having the book to hold, I just bought books 2 and 3 of Matt Bracken's trilogy via Kindle at $9.99 each so I saved a little money and Matt still got his cut. Same with Tom Sherry's "Deep Winter" series. When my cash flow improves, I'd love to have signed copies of these books.

I have no idea what all would be involved with a "Kindle" edition of UC, but I do know Ross could offer it via Clickbank in a .pdf format. At least that way, he could receive something for it!

15. Mikeyhimself

Mikeyhimself Monkey+

I have the hard cover of this book. epic ending, super informative

16. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Well you can order the book through the inter-library loan system, but as far as I know, there is only ONE (there MIGHT be one other) library in the US that has a copy. When a book this popular was only sold, in a now out of print, hard cover, never reprinted, and never in paperback, and only one library has a copy, you really have to wonder what our masters are so afraid of that they pressured the libraries and publisher into backing off.

17. ChrisNuttall

ChrisNuttall Monkey+++

Speaking as a librarian (yes, I confess; I have committed librarianism) there are a number of practical constraints on ordering books. Unintended Consiquences is out of print and obtaining a copy would probably be expensive (my copy cost £56), something that would be hard to justify when there is no clear market for the book. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but the buyer does have to justify whatever he buys. UC just isn't as likely to be interesting as the latest Tom Clancy.

What I would suggest, if people are willing to work on it, is come up with a list of prospective buyers. There are thousands of people who would probably want a copy - get them to agree that they will buy a paperback copy, once published, at (for example) something like £20 or less. Once you have a list of prospective buyers, you can take it to John and ask him to show it to his publishers. If you have 10000 buyers lined up, they're looking at £200'000 in profits. That would probably repay the costs of printing a book (trust me, those can be expensive as hell) by providing a garenteed market.

Failing that:

Unintended Consequences by John Ross SIGNED RARE BOOK (9781888118049) | eBay

Unintended Consequences by John Ross (9781888118049) | eBay

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  18. shootermick

shootermick Monkey+

I bought my hardcover copy of John Rosses uc when it first came out at the Medina county Ohio gunshow for$20.00 It looks like a good investment now.

19. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

You realize you can use Calibre to convert the .pdf linked in the first post of this thread to MOBI...?

20. limpingbear

limpingbear future cancer survivor....

his book somewhere as a PDF and loaded it onto my kindle. its a real small print and it was a pain in the butt to read but i got through all thousand or so pages...loved it too...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7