Unintended Consequences, by John Ross 1996

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Brokor, Jan 20, 2010.

1. doubletap1911

doubletap1911 Monkey+

The S&W 500 "John Ross" edition was his design and he had to agree to purchase the remainder of the pistols they built if S&W can't sell them all. Kinda the opposite of getting royalties.

2. doubletap1911

doubletap1911 Monkey+

Last I spoke with John he said he was still trying to finish his sequel, but "life keeps getting in the way". When the sequel prints Accurate Press (not his co.) is supposed to put out UC in paperback.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Monkey++

This no longer works:

Link to the .pdf on SM Download

Did the move to the new forum software break it or was it already gone ?

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yes, the new forum upgrade eliminated the previous downloads section. All links have been updated in the first post of this thread. The SM does not host the file "Unintended Consequences", and the updated external links reflect this.

5. Brokor

Thread updated. All links active as of this time.

tacmotusn likes this.
  6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Thanks Brokor !!! You alone, stand out as a dedicated provider and supporter of this Rare Gem of a Book, and making it available for all here at Monkey. A book that stands alone in fully pushing the importance of the second amendment. Yes I have read "Enemies Foreign and Domestic".
    [bow] [bow] [bow] [respect] [applaud] [applaud] [applaud]

sgt peppersass likes this.
  7. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

Ive been looking for stories similar to this. Great read, my wife was getting mad because i spent all day on the computer reading haha

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

sgt- I don't think a story can compete with this but if you haven't read Matthew Bracken, then I highly recommend. The Enemies Foreign & Domestic trilogy is quite the read. I think we are living those times.

Idahoser likes this.
  9. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

not sure there is such a thing as "similar" to UC, other than Atlas Shrugged. Neither of them is great at solutions, but they both excel at explaining the problem in a way that leaves the bad guys no place to hide.

sgt peppersass and Motomom34 like this.
  10. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Indeed what a great read.
    The solution for many of the Republic's problems are found within it's pages.
    Just keep watching the Sunday edition of the NY times for those "retirement" notices. [tongue]

11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I wonder if Anonymous could be encouraged to read Unintended Consequences? Just a thought that popped into my pea brain.

12. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

I'l have to check that out, thanks idahoser

13. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Monkey++

UC is especially remarkable considering its original publish date. Mid-Clinton era, AWB recently passed, press friendly to the lying, cheating president. I read it when it was first published, also got the hardback for around $20. This was a jolt of clear thinking and frank speaking of where the road of govt tyranny may lead. I think this was one of the seminal "take back your country and quit letting yourself be kicked around by jack booted thugs" books. I never heard anything specific coming from the govt regarding the book, but it had to have been a chilling shot across their bow.

What is really interesting is how the UC assassinations are like a good guy counterpoint to to evil ones actually done by the Clinton cleanup crew that left something like 20 bodies of their close associates in their political wake.

UC, Boston's Gun Bible and Bracken's books are patriot must reads.

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I haven't read Boston's Gun Bible. I read his Molon Labe and really enjoyed it. There was so much information, ideas and concept packed in that book.

15. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Accurate Press soon to publish . . . .

Accurate Press Publishes Unintended Consequences, by John Ross

he next printing is going to be softcover and will probably be priced at $28.95 and $6 shipping.
    A modern novel of liberty to rival Rand's Atlas Shrugged...a masterwork.” -- Vin Suprynowicz, Las Vegas Review-Journal.
    "What Harriet Beecher Stowe did in 1853 [showing the horrors of slavery in Uncle Tom's Cabin] John Ross has done for today's struggle for individual freedom...Read it!"
    --Aaron Zelman, Executive Director, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.
    "The most important work of fiction I have read in over a decade."
    -- Dr. Edgar Suter, Chairman of Doctors for Integrity in Policy Research
    After the repeal of Prohibition, Congress passes an obscure federal gun law, written to promote massive noncompliance and thus give idled Prohibition agents something to do. Three decades later, a boy born into a well-to-do family becomes immersed in shooting sports, and firearms become his lifelong passion. An expert with rifle and pistol who gives free personal protection classes to women, Henry Bowman is just one of the millions of people who comprise America's "gun culture." Because of his upbringing, Henry is sensitized to government's capacity to abuse its power. As years pass, Henry watches continued federal assaults on the gun culture with growing alarm. Concurrently, Henry's adult life intersects with the lives of two very different people: Cindy, a woman whose instincts for self-preservation help her survive virtual slavery inside an organized crime syndicate, and Ray, a lawyer who left the U.S. in 1963 and returns thirty years later. Now near middle age, Henry is alone at a friend's house one night. He uses his skills to thwart an armed break-in only to discover that the assault was not a burglary but a raid. Henry's victims are not street criminals but federal agents, and with mounting horror he listens to the captive survivors describe the operation they were carrying out. With the Ruby Ridge killings and the Waco massacre burned into his memory, Henry knows he has just given himself a death sentence. He faces the law enforcement assets of the entire U.S. Government as the country's future hangs in the balance. Despite the odds, Henry has no intention of becoming a martyr. Henry Bowman is a resourceful man with money, intelligence, and motivation, and he has history on his side.
    ross. John Ross (shown above in Denver, October 20, 2001) is an investment broker and financial adviser in St. Louis, Missouri. He has degrees in English and Economics from Amherst College in Amherst, Massachusetts. Mr. Ross is a certified personal protection instructor, and the author of Self-Defense Laws and Violent Crime Rates in the United States, which was the first published work to empirically assess the effect of concealed-carry laws on violent crime in America. He has authored several firearms-related technical articles for Precision Shooting magazine and Machine Gun News. Since the age of eight, Mr. Ross has been an avid participant in many aspects of the shooting sports. He fires upwards of 20,000 rounds of ammunition per year and is, by his own admission, a member of the gun culture.​

16. Brokor

Yup...one day. And when that day comes, I will have to buy several copies to invest in since they are valued similar to precious metals.

tacmotusn likes this.
  17. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

off topic here a bit. I once bought a half a dozen copies of James Clavel's "a childrens story" with a look to the future. When my 5 step siblings were having babies I waited until they had one approaching 4 years of age and gave them a copy. If you have young children, preferably very close to starting school, this is a book you need to read.
    James Clavel also wrote, King Rat, Shogun, Tai Pan.

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  18. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I had a hardcover edition which I (regrettably) gave away on another forum.
    I saw it up on fleabay the next week (same screen name) and it sold for 150 bucks.

All they got out of it was profit and zero knowledge. I couldn't care less about the money but I cannot comprehend how willfully ignorant some people can be.

19. Brokor

I agree, that would make me so upset I would scream and stamp my feet.

20. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Unfortunately, I think that notice has been displayed at AP for a few years.

Brokor likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7