Unintended Consequences, by John Ross 1996

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Brokor, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Whoa, slow down, folks. I never called anybody a liar, I asked for a link. I asked for information, not just a blank statement. It's 2013, we should be able to provide a simple link on a forum to assist others to find out what you are talking about. I am rough, I am blunt, but I am fair. And I am no moderator --I specifically rejected any position years ago because I am this way. You may not like me or my ways, and the best part is, you cannot label me a staff member. And as for the staff here, they are each fine and decent people, far better than I am. There's no need to get upset, we have long been awaiting a printed release, and this thread was started in 2010. I now give you several quotes from this thread to prove my point:

We have been awaiting a release, and until the post in question happened, without any useful information, just "I got a book", nobody knew it was being printed.

And of course, it was one of our long time members also following this discussion who came through and posted a link. Thank you again, Pax.

Now, can we please end the drama?

2. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Skipped most of the 8 pages--did not see any of those in the posts I did read. Have any in particular in mind or just venting?

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Brokor likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

5. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

B...I hope you didn't think I included you in my "idiots and scumbags" category...

I admit to a bit of a peeve regarding both the general failure to to include a link and the demand that one DOES post a link rather than doing what I did...typing "accurate press" into Google. However, my recent comment really had little to do with the actual subject at hand here...just another manifestation of my growing distaste for some of the newer crowd with their prejudices and knee-jerk reactions that seem to be moving the forums in the direction of some of the survival sites I rejected before finding SM.

Brokor likes this.
  6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

When I got my new paperback edition I noticed the few pictures that were in the original hardcover had been deleted. I think they added to the book, and will see if I can find them online....if somebody doesn't beat me to it. ;)

HD

7. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

not literally "liar" but this does in fact look like a pretty assinine reply, when I was informing the general readership that, finally, the AccuratePress.net website which had been advertising a new paperback printing for years, had finally come through and offered them for sale; and further, that I had ordered and received them.

Certainly a new reader who (of course) jumped to the end might ask "where do I order"? But your reply did in fact cause a bit of bad feelings to the person you were replying to (me).

Nobody else has any business being upset over it.

The rest of the comments that you took personally appear to be directed at some other unspecified site.

Now having said all that, I did not until now comment on your rudeness (as I perceived it), but even now I hold no grudge over it. If you choose to read something as an insult, then the one with the problem isn't the one who wrote it.

tulianr and kellory like this.
  8. Brokor

What I said - "...you are wrong"
    What was perceived - "...you are a liar"

True. Nobody else should be upset.

Not even for a moment. You are a good man.

Too many folks perceive things as they wish, turning words typed into an argument over nothing. Now, it is true I could have been polite, kind, and smooched some booty --but everybody knows that's not me. I am not your furniture, I am not your car. I am the all knowing, all seeing dancing crap of the world... (that's a rough paraphrase from Fight Club) =)

I really should have just typed in 'Accurate Press.net' and found the book, then linked it for those who find that difficult. Truth is, I gave up on Accurate Press long ago and they never even entered my mind. Oh well.

9. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Well if they want the membership to be stupid and be harassed then I can list several sites that are doing exactly what is needed. I did get a "You are banned. If you want to appeal click here", so I did. Usual run around, "answered" questions I didn't ask, made statements about stuff I didn't say, set up straw mans to knock down. Obviously didn't have a leg to stand on and had to protect his troll. Then said if I could supply "proof" he would, out of the goodness of his heart, let me post it was really here. Yeah, right, like I would buy and send him a copy of the book so he could ban me again for saying it was one of the best books I have read and his pet troll calling me a liar again.

Got to agree with PaxMentis about the idiots and scumbags taking over too.

10. Brokor

If you want to complain about other forums and their retention policies, go ahead and start your own thread about it. Personally, I care nothing about whose butt got rubbed and where or the logistics behind it on other forums. Hell, I have been banned on other forums for posting truthful information, but radical religious and zombie clone types don't like their fragile realities interrupted. That's the way it is. We should all be thankful the Survival Monkey is not like this at all.

I sure am glad there's another printing of Unintended Consequences.

Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I don't know if I would want a sequel. UC was a book that taught me so much, it opened my eyes and really got me thinking. The ended did make me chuckle. I never thought of Ross writing a sequel, it would be interesting to see where the author would lead us but how could he top his original masterpiece?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7