Unique Prepper book

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Hogleg, Oct 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Hogleg

Hogleg Monkey+

I just finished the most unqiue survival book I have ever read called Holding Your Ground.

I purchased the paperback through Amazon for about $20.

The book covers a topic I have never seen before - how to set up and defend a location like your house or farm. Some of the ideas are very good and several times I said to myself "why didn't I think of that?"

It's a planning guide as well. You go to a webpage,Holding Your Ground | Prepper Website , and download a spreadsheet. As you go through first part of the book, you enter values into the spreadsheet and it determines the strengths and weaknesses in your plan and with your 'team'.

Most of the concepts are low cost (important around here) and the primary focus is on hiding in plain sight. Another thing that was cool was none of the preparations would mess up my house or hurt its value.

I have a whole shelf of army field guides and prepper books and this one ranks up there with the best of them.

Georgia_Boy likes this.
  2. beast

beast backwoodsman

the value of your house shopuld really be determined by how well you can hold on to it
    not resale value in the current drain spin o the world that used to be
    it sounds like youre still livin in the big boom era

3. Hogleg

Hogleg Monkey+

beast - I couldn't agree more. My point being that if I can make effective bullet stops for $2.00 each vs. $20.00 each, why wouldn't I take the less expensive option and use the extra money for ammo?

If I can secure my windows without ugly burglar bars or sheets of plywood blocking light, why wouldn't anyone choose the less intrusive option?

beast likes this.
  4. beast

beast backwoodsman

ive been toying with plate steel shutters for the 2 windows i need coverd...lol

5. Hogleg

Hogleg Monkey+

I had a chance to shoot some steel plates over the weekend. They were half inch scrap from a demolition project.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
    We took them out and used a .308, FMJ from about 250. The rounds punched through them like they were butter.

The 5.56 nato would not blow through unless you were within 50 meters or so. I don't think there was much energy left in the round on the other side.
    I was kind of surprised. One of the plates was propped up against a pine and the damage done to the tree behind it was shocking. When the .308 blew through, it created shrapnel that pealed back the bark like a saw.

I think if you are going to get shutters, they had better be damn thick and have well-oiled hinges.

Falcon15 likes this.
  6. beast

beast backwoodsman

im a blacksmith, theres usually nuff iron round here to build a couple armored cars...lol

7. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

I LOVe that book. Really opens your eyes

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart