Unusual Knife Sharpening Surfaces

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Motomom34, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

12039680_956318611076620_6363314334436846120_n. *** please note some dispute the coffee mug way. "Rough stone or ceramic surfaces can produce a ragged, uneven edge"

7 Unusual Ways to Sharpen a Knife
    7 Unusual Ways to Sharpen a Knife | All That Humains

This is how I picture @sec_monkey sharpening his blade-
    w48tkn2xy6qol5mpiyf0.

What are the unusual ways you have sharpened a blade?

Marck, 3M-TA3, Altoidfishfins and 4 others like this.
  2. JohnSteven

JohnSteven CHUNKY MUNKY

I hang all my blades in the center of a PYRAMID....
    and psychic forces just KEEP them sharp...

JUST KIDDING-

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I'm with you @Motomom34 I can see @sec_monkey sharpening blades like this [LMAO]

Gopherman and Bear like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Pond stones can work, not perfectly, but well enough to gut and clean fish. I've also used flat sand stones when in the desert years ago.

Motomom34 and Bear like this.
  5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[lolol] :)

Ganado likes this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

A buffing wheel on a bench grinder, will put an edge on, sharp enough to cut a passing thought in Twain.

Gopherman likes this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If you're just trying to hone your edge, the ceramic bottom of a mug or the edge of a car window can work.
    If you're trying to sharpen a dull edge, or re-profile, a smooth river rock like Ghrit mentioned will work.

I've used all sorts of materials to hone, mostly to experiment. Cardboard, newspaper, flooring tiles, counter tops, blue jeans, even dried bark and hardened tree resin. Many surfaces can help hone the edge of a blade in a pinch, but never forget the superior and tested ways -using leather and strop with compound effectively.

Sharpening and re-profiling an edge takes more time and patience, and it requires proper materials with a smooth, hard surface (sharpening) and an abrasive surface (of varying degrees) to re-profile. In the wilderness, stones of various qualities can serve this function well enough. And nothing beats a quality whetstone or Japanese water stones and the skill to master them...

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  8. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I do drywall finishing and all of my float knives are like razor blades, from polishing them on the paper as I use them.
    I saw a video where they sharpen knives with a buffer and compound. I think that would work very well, my drywall mud is probably acting as a polishing compound, and the paper is the buffing surface.

Brokor, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Blue Jeans? and how did these things do? I think I have been programmed to think harder surfaces only.

@Gopherman That is really interesting. I will try to locate a video or two.

Ganado likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. john316
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Hanzo
  7. Hanzo
  8. Hanzo
  9. Hanzo
  10. MountainMariner
  11. Brokor