Unwelcome visitor

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Hanzo, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I moved one after no hits. Our rats tend to come out around bed time. So a little before, I moved the one in the cabinet to the area where wifee's soap was getting chewed up. Moved it later because wife does stuff with the sink and didn't want to catch her by mistake. So I was telling @Bear that our rats make their appearances usually around bedtime. So right on cue, at 10:30, the soap trap went off. Good bye, you dirty rat. Mahalo Bear! Great traps. Got it perfectly. And it hung to expire.

[​IMG]

This is how the trap looked before and after I reset it.

[​IMG]

Wonder how many like her soap. If not soap, peanut butter smushed into the bait holder.

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Just an FYI on the knots. Really easy. And a couple of knots I think everyone should know anyway. Bowline on the trap. Siberian hitch (or Evenk hitch) to anchor. It is quick release and works great. I used that when I hang up my tarp and hammock too. Siberian hitch on one side and a trucker's hitch or truckee hitch on the other side. Both quick release. And gets the line really taut.

kellory and Ganado like this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Ganado likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Our backyard is a huge park, so that is likely where ours come from. Remember those trees, @Bear mentioned?

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The reset trap and the other two went unsprung the rest of the night. I suspect that soap eater was the only one driving my wife nuts. She tried setting traps on her own to no avail, so is really happy he said sayonara.

She called me the fierce rat slayer. Oh boy...

Hanzo likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Good rescue skill. Learn the prussic and its variations too. Another all time favorite. Add the truckee hitch for mechanical advantage. If I do not use the truckee or truckers hitch to crank really tight, I might use a taut line hitch. If you intend to crank really hard and might leave your line out and maybe get rained on, use the truckee vs truckers hitch. You will have an easier time getting everything loose after. Add clove, timber and constrictor knots. I don't use the Canadian jam knot, but can see its uses. Add a final knot, a fishermans knot and you are set for probably 99% of what you might encounter.

Not a knot, per se, but Mors Kochanski's flip flop winch is an awesome thing to learn.

kellory likes this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Like most things, just need practice.

9. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I should send you a slingshot that would do them in.

10. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Stick 'em along walls and behind heavy items.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7