Urban Living

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Aug 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

mappingthedead.

GET READY! America’s Death Zones: Where NOT To Be When It Hits the Fan... (UPDATED) | RedFlagNews.com
    Where are you living ...in general, and if you are in a densly populated area, what is your plan to get out. Myself, I am in the Seattle region and I have been working on my exit strategy for a while... which includes many route planning sessions to figure what would be the least travelled route out of the urban area. But overall I am looking to move sooner than latter to get out of the area asap to a home base/BOL area within a commute range where the work is.

What are your issues and your plan to get somewhere safe outside of the major city area's?
    YD

Mindgrinder likes this.
  2. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Pax, VH and I are looking pretty good, nothing close to us. Plus we all already live in the country.

Tracy likes this.
  3. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

At first glance, it looked to me like one of those zombie outbreak maps - you know, the ones that show the spread of the infected as the zombie hordes consume the cities first and then spread out from there... and I thought "hell to the yeah, I'm in the pink! Bring it on, baby!" [gun]

Seriously though... The article below the map starts with the assumption that "we can start with the areas of the country to avoid" - a pretty big assumption, IMHO, as the map shows only firearms-related deaths. Depending on the SHTF event, the availability of firearms might not be very relevant. (And even if it is, it might not be a bad thing. Like in a zombie apocalypse, for example.)

The question posed by Yard Dart is an excellent one, and the article itself makes some good points - but to use recent firearms-related deaths as an indication of what areas will be dangerous is misleading, especially since high crime cities get larger circles on the map. Should we be surprised that most of Illinois shows up in the red or pink because of high crime rates in Chicago and St. Louis? No. But should we expect the corn fields of southern Illinois to be more dangerous than, say, the north pole? Sure, you probably won't get shot up there, but is freezing to death really any better? Good article, great question by YD, bad use of a map. Unless we re-name it "mapping the undead", in which case I'm all excited about it again.

As for me, I'm in the pink and I'm comfortable here. I'm not in a town, and my primary BOL is not very far. Yes, there are neighbors - but is that in itself necessarily a bad thing? To some extents, it's probably better if you don't have to face the zombie hordes alone.

oldawg, kellory, tulianr and 2 others like this.
  4. Yard Dart

I think the map is only indicative of more dangerous areas due to population density. Your absolutely correct in your summarization that there is more to consider. But this is a valid starting point to discuss your current situation.
    Just for @JABECmfg we will call this map points of origin for the undead.....

kellory, tulianr and JABECmfg like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The Alaska Map shows a spot out in Bristol Bay.... That is just stupid, and has No basis in Reality.... Now Anchorage, sure, I can see that.... easy.... but out in the Bay? That is just DUMB.... Of course there isn't a spot within 600 miles of where I live...... No Zombies coming all the way out here...... I do not think Zombies can navigate Alaska Wilderness for 250 miles, from the nearest road that connects to ANYWHERE.... and last time I looked, Zombies can NOT operate a Boat, or an Aircraft.....

kellory, tulianr and JABECmfg like this.
  6. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I understand folks temporarily having to live in highly populated areas because of jobs, etc.; but once they get the chance to get away, they need to "git." I did that. While I was in the military, my choices were limited; although for my last six years, I still managed to live an hour away from the base. I preferred that long commute to living right up under someone. After I retired, living within a city limits, or within a "community" where I couldn't make my own decisions, was not going to happen.

I would prefer to be away from the major population areas; for a host of reasons. I can certainly agree that the right kind of neighbors can be a major asset; but the wrong kind can be a nightmare, even in the best of times. I have a few neighbors, who are, for the most part, country people; who have some basic survival skills. I would not want to be in a city, or even in the suburbs, should the national/world situation degenerate into something more ugly. Most neighbors, by and large, aren't an asset. Even if they mean well, they are a potential drain on resources; and provide a questionable benefit.

If there is someone who considers themselves a "prepper" or a "survivor," and is not at least working toward self-sufficiency; then their idea of a "prepper" or "survivor" is different than mine. Most of the folks that I know, and many of them I count among my small circle of friends, are just victims, waiting to be victimized. If you don't have access to water and the means to purify it, if you can't grow your own food and successfully preserve your own food, and protect what you've put by; then you're partaking in a pipe dream. Just my two cents on the subject.

Yard Dart, STANGF150, kellory and 2 others like this.
  7. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Sure they can, but those zombies are called DHS agents now. ;)

VisuTrac, Icefoot, BTPost and 6 others like this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I plan on holding out, living amongst the riff raff, pretty much doing what I've envisioned myself doing since I first dreamt these things happening as a child, more than 30 years ago. If it ever comes down to it, my training and experience as well as my humanity will see me through. I have spent most of my life fixing problems, and this will be just one more series of tests...

I will also be locked and loaded in case I am looking at this too lightly, and have several bug out locations in mind. :)

Tracy and JABECmfg like this.
  9. Icefoot

Icefoot Monkey+

Which are in turn called targets. Especially in BT's part of the world...

tulianr likes this.
  10. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Railroad tracks are safer than main roads.
    Caves are safer than tents.
    I used to plan on bugging in and trying to defend the farm with family and friends but that has changed. I'll be going walk-about ASAP during full blown SHTF but bugging in if it's just financial collapse.

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I don't like that map. I have been thinking of moving back East to be near my folks. I wonder how far out the cities would spread if SHTF.

12. Mindgrinder

How far can a yuppie walk before they starve?
    Double that I figure.

13. Yard Dart

From Seattle to maybe the Vancouver BC area I hope..... We have lot's of lib's we would want to go your way MG .:D

Mindgrinder and Brokor like this.
  14. Brokor

There's no way to be certain. There are numerous factors to consider WHEN/IF it gets bad enough for mass migration to occur. Chances are, we don't even know the odds...

We do know a human in much of the US has at best a few days without water, and on the move up to about 2-3 weeks without food. Most will be looking for both long before then, so the catalyst is all there is to consider. It could be an EMP attack, martial law, rioting, nuclear/biological, or even natural disaster which causes the migration. Many will stay in and around the cities, most to capitalize on the wares and women. A great number I would guess will venture outward, but the further you go, the less likely they will wander. I can only estimate that most who leave the cities beyond 25 miles are going somewhere in particular --a family's residence, a cabin, friends, etc.

Now let's try to factor in police and military. We do not know to which extent it will be, so let's assume an average. Some checkpoints, some military presence, some door-to-door searches. Some rioting, and a bit of vandalism. Not everyone is going to go outside. Many will keep indoors, safe with family as long as they can. That's key...as long as they can. I am not sure we will ALL see a huge migration, but wherever the people roam, they will seek shelter, food and water among other things. Some will rove in bands, in large groups and if vehicles are useful, in convoys and raiding parties.

The best defense is a strong neighborhood. Aside from that, you should possess the ability to evade and blend.

15. Yard Dart

My thoughts are the same as yours @Brokor. Most will hunker down or take advantage of the sheep...other than a nuke or NBC situation which all will flee...depending on what the military does to control movement. Those on the move will be trying to get somewhere specific initially.... others will follow after a point when there is a lack of resources. Will roads be passable at that point who knows. That is the great debate...when to BO and when to sit tight...

A neighborhood defensive strategy is probably the best for my situation... and what I work towards in planning. With the BO as a strong second option if the situation is untenable....

Motomom34, Mindgrinder and Brokor like this.
  16. Brokor

Yup, and keep in mind, it's pretty likely the smaller towns won't be effected the same as larger cities --that is, until the city dwellers come around looking for what you've got. I am reminded of "Lights Out" and the fights they had with their small neighborhood. Put up a defense, turn travelers away, use force if necessary. Most will turn around and look for easier pickings.

Granted, it's fiction, but I like to think it's based on logic and sound philosophies.

Motomom34, Mindgrinder and Yard Dart like this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

"How far can you go, into the woods?....half way and no further". The further you run from one city, the closer you get to the next city. Distance make less difference than transportation. if your raiders are mobile, then no distance is truly safe. just less of a risk. Wherever you go, long term or short, covered retreat, or armored bunker, defense matters much more than distance.

oldawg, tulianr, Brokor and 1 other person like this.
  18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

please let it be wintertime.

Mindgrinder, BTPost and Yard Dart like this.
  19. Mindgrinder

You're not kidding...wish we had a big fence or drones patrolling the line...
    Oh wait...you think they're gonna let you OUT?

VisuTrac and Yard Dart like this.
  20. Mindgrinder

It will be if it's FF gov induced.'
    Frankly I'm curious if they'll use comet ISON to drop an EMP on us.
    Glad I saved all those old microwaves for faraday cages for old laptops filled with ebooks.
    They want it over as quick as possible too.

1. Bunker Bob
  2. Tempstar
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. john316
  9. Dark Jester
  10. chelloveck
  11. snowbyrd
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary