Urban Living

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Aug 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

*sigh*
    Those who are 1/2 prepped in CDN will head North.
    The further you go North in ANY CDN province the more likely the residents will have firearms but will have been poor/underemployed/on gov assist for long periods of time. It's a mess no matter which way you slice it.
    I'm sticking to railroad tracks....focused on the ones no longer in use.
    Trails that don't really look like trails and if you keep foot to tie you leave no tracks until you step off. There are tons of old unused tracks in BC that run along rivers to old unused mines and some abandoned towns. I'm only 1hr drive out of Vancouver...it's not far enough.

2. Mindgrinder

Dude made it 50 days alone in the wild but snapped.
    Granted...if he could have legally shot moose/deer he would have been fine.
    I would have...the "Queens Deer" my @5s.

Brokor likes this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Another point to consider is where this is all going prior to any perceived WROL type situation. Hypothetically speaking, and this is pretty much all hypothetical, I am already picking up news on heightened "possible terror" events nationwide, subsequent to the latest widely televised fiasco the government rolled out on withdrawing from foreign embassies based on "intelligence reports". Yeah, so if this is going to be a little foreshadowing of times to come, it looks like all of us who yelled about the possibilities imprinted in the Patriot Act to be real were actually right. If this steps up a notch, where will it take us? More checkpoints, more alerts, random stops, increased police presence, scanners, private security forces, foreign forces? I mean...seriously. What about the FEAR factor alone? "Don't go out today, it's RED ALERT!" Neighbors turning in other neighbors because they haven't seen them in 3 days, and it seems suspicious...the "lone wolf" type being harassed and homes raided. More "events", more resistance, more gun grabs...before you know it a REAL revolution could take place and most won't even know it because it's just another "terror alert". It's beginning to look more and more like reality can become whatever the masters of deceit and chaos want it to be.

Once they can lock down the internet, it's checkmate.

STANGF150 likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

As it has been written in many books, many will flock to the warmer climates because it is easier to survive or so they think. Those Southerners are hospitable but in a SHTF scenario and a surge of thousands/millions they would lose their hospitality. I have heard that colder weather helps kill the germs so that could be a plus if headed to New England. I know that since 9 1 1 many have moved from the cities to the smaller states but they are still living with all their needs being met. But cut the power & heat and grocery stores and upper NE does not look as cushy. I hope that makes sense.

I read on a SM thread a person said 5-10 years maybe before the bottom falls out but to me 10 years is real optimistic. I look around and think why am I planting apple trees here? Some of my neighbors could be real trouble, a serious threat.

DarkLight likes this.
  5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

That is one of the conflicts I have with myself on a regular basis. I've STILL only put in one raised bed (4x8) that I STILL haven't planted anything in. Part of it is "why am I doing this here?". I don't trust my neighbors and have a real feeling that they would end up as fertilizer and/or dog food in a SHTF situation because of how I'm afraid it will go down.

We haven't planted any trees for the same reason...I keep dragging my feet because of a "what if"...which is dumb because even if something does go down, there's the chance that it won't happen until things have matured and I can use the natural/planted preps for at least a little while.

Too often we (or at least I) allow ourselves to be paralyzed by fear of the unknown which results in inaction, which is the WORST possible thing we could do. Even a bad or wrong decision is better than no decision at all.

Motomom34, BTPost, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  6. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

I could not have said that better myself.

The world is a scary place - and it gets even scarier as we begin to wake up and open our eyes to the realities around us. So, we begin to "prep" - and then, we realize that there's a LOT more to the whole preparedness and self-sufficiency thing than we imagined. So, what do you do - give up? Hell No!

I can't recall where I saw it, but I once read that the phrase "self-sufficiency" is a bad phrase - because no one can be truly self-sufficient. What we CAN be, however, is self-reliant. We can choose to rely solely on ourselves, because to rely on ourselves means to assume full responsibility for ourselves and our well-being, and not count on anyone else to take care of us. For those of us with kids, who rely on us naturally, it means we assume responsibility for them as well. This is not about being able to survive alone, but about the decisions we make and the actions we take. And this is something we CAN do, if we so choose to - but we can also choose NOT to, and if we let fear stand in the way, that's choosing not to. Whatever we choose, that decision is on us and we have to own it.

I think that self-reliance (or "prepping"), at its core, is a peaceful and positive endeavor. It is for me anyway, because that's what I choose it to be. Does that mean I expect a SHTF event to be all about eating rainbows and crapping out butterflies? Of course not - but I know why I do what I do, and I'm happy with that.

If you're still not sure about planting those fruit trees or veggies, consider planting them in a location that allows you to use them as bait... :cool:

7. Mindgrinder

The trees will still be there AFTER SHTF, you bug out for xxxxx amount of time until all the zombies are dead and come back.
    Quit messing around and gett'em in the ground!

Hammerhead, Motomom34, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  8. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

We've got a couple raised beds in and are going to do a couple more next year. Fruit trees and bushes seem like a good idea. When is the best time of year to replant trees?

9. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

I put 3 apple trees in the ground last year in the spring, and the 2 that lived are doing well - a honeycrisp and a granny smith. The red delicious died shortly after planting, but as far as I can tell it's because that type doesn't do well in my area. I replaced it with a 2nd honeycrisp this past spring and it's looking good. I'm looking to try some other varieties that are common to this area, and will probably start them from seed - but I wanted to go ahead and get a few in the ground so that I'd start getting fruit sooner.

That said, I've heard from some sources that the fall is a good time for apple trees as well - so it's probably best to do a little research on the type of tree you're planting and maybe common practices for your area. And of course, if you can start with things that do well in your area naturally, they'll probably be less susceptible to diseases, etc (that's how my red delicious died) and do better in general. Maybe look around the farms and orchards in your area to see what types they're growing - chances are, they know what they're doing and chose those types for a reason - but I wouldn't limit myself to just those.

One more thing - I'll have to google this to confirm it and I don't have time right now, but I think that apple trees require cross-pollination from a different variety of apple tree, so you'll need at least 2 different types. Gotta run for now, I'll check into this later and report back.

Yard Dart, Mindgrinder and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

They do need cross pollination. Golden delicious is a great pollinator. JABEC is correct, get ones that are for your area. Do your own research, I listened to the "garden expert" at Home Depot and had to dig a tree up because it was not compatible at my elevation.

Yard Dart, Mindgrinder and JABECmfg like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have also learned that just because a berry bush says needs 6 hours of sun this seems to be a general statement. I am transplanting my blueberries this Fall because my 6 hours of sun is real strong and it is too hot for them.

12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Another way of creating a friendly environment:
    If you have to BO temporarily due to a quick collapse... and then return to your AO in a few days, many have suggested planting fruit trees and such to create a sustainable area which is a positive improvement with long term beni's. But another means is the gorilla garden which you can have placed in many areas within your area to live off of. I can think of several recent post where folks plant everything from potatoes to seasonings scattered around, for the readily harvesting if needed. Things to think about....on what resources you would have when you come back home vs moving out of the area.

JABECmfg likes this.
  1. Bunker Bob
  2. Tempstar
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. john316
  9. Dark Jester
  10. chelloveck
  11. snowbyrd