Uses for salt other than eating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by svjoe, Jun 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I like salt on home-grown tomatoes

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

this thread is making me thirsty.

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If you sprinkle salt on a politician or lawyer they will shrivel up and die - oh wait, that's salt and slugs, different kind of slime...

Trouble likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Missing from the list is

Preserving food by brining, and using salt as a drying agent for fish salting

Curing hides for leather making

Although salt was mentioned as a control for biological control for Poison Ivy, it is also an ingredient (together with vinegar) in making a broad spectrum herbicide.
    Salt&vinegar is not a selective herbicide so be careful how you apply it. Gardening Australia - Herbicides and Other Weed Controls

Of course salt is an essential ingredient in some forms of magick ritual....results may be unpredictable...use with caution. ;)
    Spells with salt: witchcraft and ritual with salt | Ritual Magic Spells

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Oral hygiene... salt water rinse and brushing your teeth...

Add salt to the water when you boil eggs... and you eggs will peel easier...

Soaking pecans in salt water will make the nut meats come out whole....

6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Since I avoid chemical additives whenever possible, Salt, baking soda an vinegar are staples for me for everything from personal hygiene to household cleaning. Great list.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Oh me, oh my.........how could I forget salt and ice as a refrigerant for making home made ice cream!!!!

upload_2016-7-11_4-20-42.

Trouble, Ganado, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

washing your greens in salt water normally means one wash is enough... this will save the labor of purifying additional water....

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Salt preserved lemons – They add a tangy, funky bite to soups and stews. I often heap a bunch of them in the blender and puree them smooth. dollop that puree into hummus, vinaigrettes, and other creamy spreads.

Salt preserved key limes – Some readers argued whether the fruit I used were in this project were actually key limes, but that’s what the bag said. They’re zippy and bright and worth the making.

Citrus salt – Another really simple one. Zest a bunch of lemons, limes, grapefruits, or oranges and combine them with chunky salt. Spread it out on plate or parchment-lined cookie sheet and let it air dry. Then sprinkle it over chicken, fish, dips, and roasted vegetables.

Herb salt – A variation on the citrus salt above, this expansive, wide-ranging recipe is flexible and adaptable.

Herbes salees – There’s a version of this recipe in my second book, but I learned everything I know about salt preserved herbs from Joel and Dana at Well Preserved. And so if their post was a good starting place for me, it’s a good starting place for you!

Gravlax – Quick cured and seasoned salmon that takes a few minutes to prep and just a couple days in the fridge to get good. It’s a low effort, high reward project and just the thing to make if you’re planning a dinner party or fancy brunch.

Cured egg yolks – I’ve not made these before, so I point you in the direction of Hank Shaw for instructions here. From what I hear, this relatively quick cure produces something with the flavor and depth of good cheese.

Kraut – There’s so many directions to go here. Start with a recipe that appeals and begin to explore.

Kimchi – This is my favorite approach, but it just one of many. If you decide to go in this direction, do try to stay away from the brined recipes and stick to the ones that are salted directly, as we’ll focus on wet brined foods later in the year.

Soup base – I almost always have a jar of this vegetable-heavy paste in my fridge for giving depth to soups and stews.

Salt Preserving for the February Mastery Challenge - Food in Jars

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

melt ice

Motomom34 and BTPost like this.
  11. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Applied to that obnoxious liberal neighbor's flower garden. Took two applications but does work.

Motomom34 and RightHand like this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Till -20 and lower it's not going to work .
    Up real North , we drive on snow & ice . Easy , just learn to read & relax ,,
    City high strung hamsters wipe out with a dusting of snow.
    My Wife uses salt to hold the pole on hides , till the weather is better to work .

Sloth

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Of course. That's what we did in the Yoop.

14. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

salt is for sprinkling into that nasty cut that my blade gave you...by accident of course

oldawg likes this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

This is the list of salt preserving from the February Challenge. There are some interesting recipes in here .... i loved all the preservation of citrus and i have never heard of gravlax before

Mastery Challenge February Round-up: Salt Preserving - Food in Jars

Dried Herb Salt, Herbes Salées, & Soup Base
    Sauerkraut & Kimchi
    [​IMG]
    Chopping collards from Brit in the South

Preserved Citrus
    [​IMG]
    Photo from Cheese and Cracker Jacks

Gravlax & Cured Egg Yolks
    [​IMG]
    Laurie Kane’s gorgeous beet gravlax

16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Load a few shells for the shot gun for chasing off pests .

Trouble and Ganado like this.
  17. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I put a pinch of salt in the consistently bitter coffee that is available at work. Takes the bitterness away and I never notice any salty taste.

Ganado likes this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Years ago I was cook at a fire camp and made coffee in 3 gallon urns .a few egg shells in the bottom and a teaspoon of salt , and there was never enough coffee for every one .
    The cook on my off days didn't/ wouldn't do any of this ,and there was always coffee left over .

Ganado likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7