Using a Hiking Backpack As A Bug Out Bag

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by off grid survival, Jun 24, 2015.

1. So I'm really getting into hiking I was hoping the osprey atmos 65 i ordered will work for a bug out bag as well any thoughts

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Depends on your routine, your body size, needs and environment. If it works for you, all the better.
    Here's a link to a long term test/review: Osprey Atmos 65 Long Term Test. | Outside Cincy

I will also tag this thread to show relative links on the subject at the bottom of the page, too.

Ganado, Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

For a general bug out bag that's fine but think twice over the idea of an INCH bag .
    Consider the distances you might be required to travel , and worst case scenario for weather an social conditions to deal with .
    When ever I leave home I consider the distance ,direction and time it will take to walk from where I"m headed and add or remove what's applicable to the task .
    Today I went to San Diego about 60 miles from home . My BOB goes with me every where every day ,a Swiss army computer bag .
    In the event of an EMP and I'm on foot, and the likely hood of rain is expected, so I am prepared to walk in the rain 60 miles if necessary . 3-4 days .
    If there is an EMP my electronics will be useless so it is cast off and the collapsable water bottles are filled immediately before the system is drained if possible . the sawyer filter will have to suffice as required along the way.
    I have map and compass so that if I have to leave the highway it's no big deal. it just takes longer . I keep a trash bag handy in the event I have to cover my stuff or float things / clothes and bag, across a water way.
    It wold be impossible to cary a INCH bag every where but that is set up at home and RTG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  8. DarkLight
  9. Fatum1965
  10. Thunder5Ranch
  11. Motomom34
  12. ED GEiN
  13. Imasham
  14. H.I.S Survival
  15. Brokor
  16. TailorMadeHell
  17. chelloveck
  18. stg58
  19. Brokor