Using Air Guns for Self Defense StopGap (Apologies for What May Be a Totally Idiotic Question)

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ED GEiN, Jun 20, 2020.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

You lost me. The dude was physically trying to attack me and expose me to Coronovirus. I managed to get away and frighten him off but I shouldn't have to and if I had a gun on me I would gladly have shot him/killed him and be bothered at all. Unfortunately I'd have to deal with the law in California I likely would be in prison for life and I can't do the time. He was the perpetrator

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thanks I do eventually want to leave here but until the Coronovirus threat is minimized

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Agree. Was just thinking of being in a situation where I was cornered with 1 or 2 perps tops.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

There are but there is a lot more to the equation than FPS. The quality of your air gun depends on how deep yer pockets are. Unlike Conventional firearms where you can pick up a dependable revolver for a couple hundred bucks. You will be hard pressed to find any hand air gun that can be concealed that will do more than annoy an attacker :)

In any State you would most likely be heading to the slam with that story at this point in history.

5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I am at a legal loss but why can’t you simply buy yourself any variety of available an CA legal handgun ? Even an old used S&W Mod10 in .38 Special will serve you well ?? In the time you have been discussing this I could have bough 10 perfectly legal handguns here in Sydney and it IS more difficulty than CA.

3M-TA3, techsar, sec_monkey and 4 others like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'm anticipating another thread down the track, enquiring as to the effectiveness of Nerf guns as a TEOTWAWKI WROL home defence weapon, with a comparison of the merits of nerf guns vs airsoft. :LOL:

Though I have to say, in researching pneumatic weaponry, I have learned quite a bit on the subject.

7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

USCCA

USCCA: Self-Defense Knowledge, Training, & Legal Protection

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

There's cross bows too.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

In order to use an air gun for self defense it will need to be a repeater with sufficient power to stop an attacker(s), and you will have to be fast, accurate and completely without mercy! As with any weapon, you must have the willingness to use it, as well as the ability! You will have only seconds to access the threat, draw, aim and fire...and keep on firing until the threat(s) are dead! You are not trying to scare or hurt the attacker(s), because you don't want them coming back later with a plan! Of course if you are away from your home turf the situation could change to one that allows you to retreat once the threat is forced to retreat.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

For the price of a big bore air rifle you can buy several real guns. Seems like a pretty iffy survival strategy.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hey ED,Don't hang around waiting on the popo !

Thunder5Ranch and sec_monkey like this.
  12. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Actually the .30-30 was the first smokeless powder round but since black powder was so prevalent and to give people the idea of how much power the round had the powder charge was listed - SO, with the .30-30, Winchester gave it that designation so folks would have an idea as to how powerful it was. It was smokeless powder with the equivalent load of 30 grains of BP

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and 3M-TA3 like this.
  13. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@ED GEiN Are even hunting rifles severely regulated in California? If not then @3M-TA3 recommendation of a lever-action saddle rifle would be the way to go. It's short enough to be manipulated quickly, very accurate, highly-reliable and, if needed can throw lead fairly quickly.

I would purchase it in a caliber that allowed it to be used in hunting (even if you don't hunt now) also like 30-30...but admit I am partial to the 30-30 as had one as a kid and loved it.

15. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

There is a huge backlog now You can buy a handgun but it takes a while to get one now because of these fun times

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

That is what is wrong with the US today and has drawn me back to this forum to hear opinions that I do not hear in everyday life. What gets me is the damn police, police who I support, told me point blank that if anyone deliberately exposed a person to Coronovirus and they died, they could not arrest the person who deliberately exposed the victim. I stopped getting into physical fights after I was 8 because if I got into a fight with anyone that started the fight, I'd literally want to kill them by any means I could and I can't do the time. My conscience wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Honestly if I had to use a weapon that I had in my possession I wouldn't bluff and would shoot to kill and it wouldn't bother me one bit except for the legal cost and consequences after

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

In California at this moment in time obtaining a legal firearm is a lengthy process

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Not sure but I want an automatic. Under my most feared scenario, I am bugging out and one person tries to rob me of everything using their firearm. I want to stop them dead beforehand. I have no illusions about stopping multiple people trying to rob me

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Ed, Given times are what they are, you might want to pursue both lines of attack to get yourself arm as quickly as possible: put in for the documentation for a semi-auto but purchase a lever-action right now.

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7