Using bamboo to make fishing rod

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by melvin west, Jun 24, 2018.

1. melvin west

melvin west Monkey

A fishing rod is a long, flexible rod used to catch fish. At its simplest, a fishing rod is a simple stick or pole attached to a line ending in a hook (formerly known as an angle, hence the term angling). The length of the rod can vary between 2 and 20 feet (0.61 and 6.10 m). To entice fish, bait or lures are impaled on one or more hooks attached to the line. The line is generally stored on a reel which reduces tangles and assists in landing a fish.

Traditionally rods are made from bamboo, while contemporary rods are usually made from fibreglass or carbon fibre. In contrast with nets, which are usually used in subsistence and commercial fishing, fishing rods are more often used in recreational fishing and competitive casting. Fishing rods come in many sizes, actions, lengths and configurations depending on whether they are to be used for small, medium or large fish or in different fresh or salt water situations. Various types of fishing rods are designed for specific types of fishing. Fly rods are used to cast artificial flies, spinning rods and bait casting rods are designed to cast baits or lures. Ice fishing rods are designed to fish through small holes in ice covered lakes. Trolling rods are designed to drag bait or lures behind moving boats.

2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Good video when they tie the line to the cane pole if they would start about 4 jounts back on the cane pole tieing below each joint until they get to the end if a big fish breaks the pile tip it will go to the next joint and still hold.

3. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

We used cane poles when I was a kid. Same method of tying the line.

We lacquered our poles though.

4. ochit

ochit Monkey+

I use a coke bottle (glass) many other uses and a decent size fish can snap one off at a joint.

I use a glass bottle as it can hold liquid a coke bottles special shape keeps the line toward the center wind the line clockwise holding the bottom of the bottle as it fills the depression your done a few half hitches keeps the line from backlashing when you need to deploy the line untie and unroll about 3 foot it needs some weight so you can swing it in a circular motion releasing it @ about 45* angle toward your aim as you do holding the bottom with your off hand point the mouth of the bottle toward your target the line will uncoil smooth as silk, when it hits either play out line or strat winding line back on if you get a strike use your off hand like a pressure brake allowing the line to go between your fingers. This guy goes it different but as you see it works. I use my bottle to hold worms insects or whatever I am using as bait. I have also seen this done with a soda can.

[​IMG]

in this second video you can use it as a for FIRE CUPPING using a tiny wire with a piece of cotton ball on it light it and insert it into the mouth of the bottle remove it and stick the mouth to the area you want to extract it could be from a spider bite or an infection like a boil or a sting or cut that got infected. I do not like to use hot water or in a microwave because the glass if it has an imperfection will break though it is hard as chicken lips so I use the glass coke bottle wire and cotton ball. method

[​IMG]

how to cut glass bottles

[​IMG]

working glass to make tubing or capsules

[​IMG]

melvin west, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My Grand Parents were hard core fly fishermen, they built their own rods and tied their own flys , as well as fabricated unique fly line for every need they had. I learned at a very early age to cast a fly rod, and to tie flys, something I have enjoyed all these years. When first deployed to Europe, I was introduced to the two handed Spey rods and taught the unique casting techniques, something my Grand parents were astonished to witness and learn when I brought them both Spey rods and and taught them the basics! Gramps being the handy sort and Very experienced at building very high end rods, we sat down and custom made some of the most incredible Spey rods I have ever seen or used! As learned, I much prefer the hybrid Spruce, Split Cane, and bamboo construction, done properly, these hybrids become extremely powerful fishing rods, capable of 100 meters or greater casts with surprising Presision and the best of all, the spruce provides exceptional sensitivity, rivaling the newest Lamiglass G5 Composits such as the XMG series rods, arguably the very best rods built to date! We have always used the hybrid construction methods, and most of our rods, no matter what they were built for are exceptionally strong and sensitive! I have all the rods they built over the 60+Years of building, and most are still quite usable, and still very capable of casting very well, so much so that one of Grand Mothers favorites with a double haul cast, will out reach any of the newer glass/carbon hybrids out there! It's about a 6 weight rod and I have landed many 20+ pound steelhead on that rod!
    One of the things about natural materials rods, they cast slower and smoother, making them ideal for very precise casting, even at distances, and the Spey rods are incredible, we even started using them as trolling rods, and deep water back trolling or back bouncing due to their flexibility and strength during an aggressive hook set!

melvin west, Bishop, ochit and 3 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7