Vacuum sealers...

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Equilibrium, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

You are probabbly right @arleigh and I think in never hurts to have multiple options for storing food =)

Cruisin Sloth and oldman11 like this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

On the subject of stored food,
    Peanut butter without any preservatives goes stale with in a year.
    Saltine crackers go stale in just a few months . they are not a necessity so I don't mind not storing them.
    Peanut butter on the other hand I found powdered and going to see how well they last in their own packaging.
    Any prepackaged foods with oil don't last . It may be a waste but I put away some pancake mix ( before I learned about the oil)
    Vacuum sealed or not it may not be what I was hoping for .

3. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

image.
    Two pounds of diced sweet potatoes dehydrated and stored in black food saver bags. They are made for long term storage of dehydrated foods. From Amazon. I have been using mason jars and I am not happy with the results.

oldman11 and Ganado like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

oldman11 likes this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

O2 absorbers will continue to function even if the vacuum is lost .

Ganado likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I did not know that @arleigh thanks! I just put that up there because it is an inexpensive vacuum sealer and I'm not very mechanical so I bought one. I mostly use if for marinating quickly and for freezer. I have not tried to do jars.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If you've got a vacuum sealer use it, but add the O2 absorber just for insurance .

oldawg and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. DKR
  12. DKR
  13. apache235
  14. Ganado
  15. alaskachick
  16. Motomom34
  17. Bandit99
  18. Asia-Off-Grid