Valkman made machete?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by gunbunny, Jul 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Valkman, have you ever made a machete? Would you like to?

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nope, I haven't because they're usually fairly cheap and I couldn't make them that cheap.

3. gunbunny

Would you consider making a GOOD machete? Made from spring steel? About $100-$150. No fancy wood on the handle, just something that can get wet and knocked around.

I really like these guys: http://zombietools.net/tools/ but I don't need all of the decorative additions, fancy (if I could find another word for it I would) handles, and acid etched blades. I like their choice of steels, and their blade designs. The Zack Axe would be a great brush beater and chopper. Besides, they are too busy filling backorders- good for them!

I just want a regular cutlass style machete with a standard double convex grind, like most normal knives. The ability to fit in a GI plastic sheath would be great, too- I have a few of them lying around.

4. Valkman

Wow that's an expensive blade! I'll look into making one out of O1.

5. gunbunny

Sweet! Tool steel should be able to take a beating!

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The zombie tool (very pretty) has an advantage and a disadvantage. With the fat front, the weight will help with brush whacking. The shape will tend to hang up if it doesn't go all the way thru on the first swing, or if the thick (deep?) part is behind the thing you are trying to cut. Meaning, the length of the blade will be a bit less useful in brush of varying thickness. I prefer a straight edge, myownself, with weight forward.. And a full "cutlass" handguard is very good to have, both from an anti slip and knuckle protection standpoint. FWIW, sharpening similarly to an axe rather than hollow ground will allow easier sharpening in the field, and a stronger edge.

jmo, uv cuss.

7. Valkman

I just realized today that I have no way to heat treat a blade over 5" long. Don't know how I'd make a machete now!

8. gunbunny

That's a bummer.

9. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Hey Don... O-1 is pretty forgiving.... "torch" it to non-magnetic and then quench it in some good virgin olive oil.... then "torch" the spine to draw back the edge temper to a good straw color.... you can make the quench tank out of anything long enough for your blade... heck.. you could line a cardboard box with foil... [boozingbuddies]

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Now I want the Apocalax at Zombietools.net. Thanks.

Good thing they are out of stock.

11. merlin048

merlin048 Monkey+

Valkman:
    Do you live in Pahrump, NV?
    Sam a resident of Pahrump XXX@viawest.net

Edited for personal security. - ghrit

12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

One of these would be nice:
    [​IMG]

13. Valkman