Vehicle "Build" Thread...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andy the Aussie, Jun 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I saw that someone in Missouri? is importing Toyotas with diesels from Australia. over 25 years old and they bypass some rules.
    Whatever is paid for and suits your needs is best. Big block f-250 works for me.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

.... the 78Series Landcruiser Troop Carrier leaves the factory with the 4.5L V8 diesel and a 47.5 Gallons of fuel capacity as standard ;) But you are not allowed to have them in the US....:( Standard capacity of my new one is 34 Gallons but I will add the larger tank for 47.5+ capacity.

........ yes some do come that way and from Japan as well. Taking them to the US generally means you need to manage a LHD conversion as well (like us with the Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Toyota pickups that get imported here). Many locations are known for eating Ford/Chevy (as they are more common outside the US) pickups alive. Here in the far North they generally wont touch them as the service life is too short. All that aside I would LOVE a big Chevy Silverado !! GM are importing and RHD converting them here now. The $150K price tag is prohibitive !!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2019
  3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

...and on the other end of the spectrum you Aussies are blessed with the availability of the Toyota HiLux small diesel pickups.
    From what I understand those are just about as immortal as well.

3cyl, oldman11, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

...... yes the HiLux (or LoLux as we often called them in the 80s) are somewhat iconic here now as well. They were often seen as a "second choice" to the Landcruiser and have always been cheaper, they are a lighter build no question. Same best mate that had a 75 Series from '89 onward had a 86 HiLux he bought new. They were under-powered and not so comfortable (hence LoLux) but always got there. Today they are one of the best selling Utes in Australia (Ute = pickup in the US, "Bakkie" is what they are called in South Africa) !

5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yeah spent a little time in South Africa back in the mid-80s. I was always a little jealous of their Bakkes. They were really cool ass little pickups.

oldman11, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Late 80's through the 90's Toyota Pickups are about the most handy little pickups around, far better then the American built stuff, the price reflects that these days, and the good ones can cost as much as a full size american truck! I always wanted one, but the cost was always too damn high! Now days, you would not only have to spend a fortune to get your hands on a good one, but another fortune to rebuild it!
    [​IMG]

Motomom34, SB21, 3M-TA3 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Yes that is a classic Extra-Cab LoLux !!!!! I have pics of my mate's here somewhere.....

3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

When I think of a vehicle build I'm thinking of something built in a junkyard from parts from several makes, models and years... no VIN # (or several to choose from)...something that will freak-out the folks at the DMV.

Ura-Ki, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Really? I see these all the time from 1,500 to 6/8K,The local boys like these for the woods.

10. Andy the Aussie

...... horses for courses...in this case it is taking a starting point and making it mine to best suit the things I need it to do. No two people will have the same thoughts, I can only apply my experience with 4WDs and what research I have done and see where it all takes me (besides down an expensive rabbit hole) :D :D

Ura-Ki, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

So was feeling a bit better yesterday (blew that up by doing too much around the house/truck but that is another story).... added the swing up registration plate holder (swings up as the plate partially obscures the recess where the winch fairlead will sit) and swapped out the original ARB fog lights for some brighter LED jobbies...

Plate down....

[​IMG]

Plate up....

[​IMG]

The fog lights are MUCH less about fog for me as they are about illuminating a track immediately in front of the vehicle at slower speeds ... ;)

Also replaced the innards of one of the cabin lights with an LED kit....

[​IMG]

....just a stunning difference !!! I have already ordered a kit of the other light unit !!

Motomom34, Ura-Ki, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Around here, $1500 would be Junk, and $5000 and up for a serviceable but heavy used rig needing lots of work!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Don't even get me started on prices of first gen Land Cruisers, or Broncos, you would think they were gold plated or something! I had a 73 Land Cruiser FJ-40 I got for $700 bucks complete but not running, today that same rig would be worth over $20k
    Should have kept it!

ColtCarbine likes this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Dudes start price is 3800.00

yota.

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My 2006 White Toyota 4X4 Tundra with the 4Cyl Gas was about $13K when we got it in ‘16.... It had 126K miles, or so, on iit and needed a new clutch within 10K miles, and new Boots, last year... It is a strong running rig, and gets Around 15-19 MPG, depending on the terrain and traffic... Adding the rear deck shell helped to get that efficiency... The extended cab, using suicide doors makes it great for Road Trips, and good for the Radio installations for HF thru UHF Radios... and the Goodies & Munchies Cooler & Containers... It will be our last transport we will ever need.... There are pictures of it posted over in the Comms Forum...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  17. BenP

BenP Monkey++

The frames on most of these rotted out and Toyota bought tons of them back.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Andy the Aussie

A couple of small additions and jobs on the new toy today (working on what I can on this is probably keeping me sane and my mind off how horrible I have been feeling post surgery)....

[​IMG]

....just small and direct replacements of the horrible factory jobbies that are built into the front dash. simple swap and for $50 a huge improvement. I wont bother doing the ones that are in the cargo bay, when loaded they are mostly buried behind gear and partially covered by the false floor that will go in. Down the road I *may* and a small shelf/pod that sits across and above the rear barn doors that include some modest storage and forward facing speaker provisions. That is faaaaaaaaaaaaaar down the list of projects. Before that I will perhaps add these ....

SPEAKER PODS - Cruiser Consoles

....to the front doors and stick in some decent speakers where *I* can can hear them. Given I rarely share the truck with others and now when I do it is only a front seat passenger, too much good sound in the back is really a waste... :coffee:

Also got some of the switches in I ordered, this one...

[​IMG]

....for the LED driving lights is my favourite...... :eek::D

19. Andy the Aussie

Been quiet on the delivery front ...... the big $ things approach so trying (and failing at times) to hold off unless they are essentials. Vinyl flooring has shipped and will be a whole weekend to fit (will need to pull all the seats and such) but that can wait a little.

Cargo barrier arrived....pulled it out of the box and saw it need "drilling" on the Tojo to fit and (knowing my ability at such things) I slid it back into it's shipping box and will get my guys at the workshop to do it with the rest of (what is becoming known as) "the list" ...
    [​IMG]

Second LED internal light kit arrived so I dropped that in today.

In the next couple of weeks I need to make a firm decision about which rear bar and wheel carriers I am going to use as well as the long range fuel tank. Can't add the side rails and sliders till the winch is fitted so they are a few weeks at least off.

What I have found is how out of touch with the 4x4 accessory market I have been. Almost everything was 50-100% more expensive than I had recalled/planned for !

Also messaged a guy on "Gumtree" (Aussie version of Craig's List I guess) who has six rims in the same style that are on the truck now. That would give me my second spare, plus a pair and a spare for the trailer. Will see how that goes.

20. Andy the Aussie

New driver's seat arrived last night ..... :D

[​IMG]

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Thunder5Ranch
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Motomom34
  5. STANGF150
  6. 3M-TA3
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7