Vehicle "Build" Thread...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andy the Aussie, Jun 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

...... no I have hardly driven it maybe 400KM and 200 plus of that was down the highway from where I bought it and the rest just here around town. Previous owner didn't take it off road at all (he had it to tow his caravan around). I bought it week before I had surgery and was then laid up for several weeks (but on a first name basis with the guy delivering all the gear I was buying online) and now I am back at work (only for a week and a bit) the reality is I will be without any spare time till late September I suspect. Planning a couple of weekend trips in it to see if any bugs appear then maybe a week out bush before summer arrives properly. I will literally have no time to myself till next year based on my work forecasts !

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Finally went for a drive out a back lane in the dark last night and fired up the LED driving lights......sweet muther f..... errr.......they are BRIGHT and have an excellent throw !!! The only complaint I have heard is about reflection back from road signs and I see how this is a legitimate complaint as yes they make small white sign glow like a detonating nuke from 600m out. That said, for where *I* want them for they will be about perfect, long straight stretches of road in the west where your speed is up and moving "obstacles" are common !!! The LED "Fog Lamps" also have worked out well and will make for great low track lights to light up those spots on an offroad spot that the normal headlights are too highly mounted for (as in finding or avoiding a particular wheel rut or hole !1).

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Just got the truck back from Toyota having had the cargo barrier fitted.

[​IMG]

.....I had all but decided on my replacement tank and rear bar options but just as I was about to order Brown and Davis (one of the best long range tank makers here) have come out with a new option that will be available in a month or so, this one means I don't have to to the rear bar and tank together (as it will be a second tank not a single larger tank) so I will order up the bar alone next week...
    :D

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Been busy as hell and some of the projects on the new truck got put on hold as a result…..!!! That and they are bloody expensive so I had to work my street corner hard to raise the $$s.

Last week I got my truck back having had the back bar/dual wheel carriers fitted up, probably the single most expensive job I will do !! Still only wearing one spare as I am going to change the alloy pretty rims out for some black steel jobs, but when I do I need to buy eight of them (six for the truck and two for the trailer), so it is a little away. Till then the registration plate (blacked out) is hanging out the back like a fin on a 50s Caddy.

Rear on..

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Driver’s side

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Passenger side …

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Passenger side open…

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Both open ….

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Lamp extended up (it turns as well)…

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Back of the driver’s side carrier showing the jack mount etc (added some cable ties to the jack to reduce some rattle)…

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

I am about 90% happy with this now. I still want to do some tidying up of the wiring for the LED lamp, the bracket for this came from my old truck and I replaced the wiring/switches and lamp unit (old one was about 12 and while LED, was only about ½ as bright at this for around the same size). The lamp is available to turn on from a waterproof switch behind the wheel or a dash switch.

I also need to tidy up the mounts for the trailer plug and 12V power outlets under the back. They all work well but I can get them further under and better presented with not much effort. A job for another weekend however.

Both swing arms are on gas struts that open them once you release the over-centre levers, they are strong enough to swing that driver’s side one out and slightly uphill even with the additional weight it carries, there are also manual lock to hold them in the open position.

Dark Wolf, 3M-TA3, VisuTrac and 4 others like this.
  6. Andy the Aussie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also grabbed a 200w folding solar blanket that I can set up to plug directly into the battery controller so if I am parked up and using 12v power (fridge/lighting etc) it will keep both batteries at capacity ...:D

duane, 3M-TA3, Motomom34 and 4 others like this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Ahhhhhhhh temptation is a terrible thing.......while I AM going to change out all the rims for steel jobbies I was on the Aussie version of "Craig's List" (Gumtree) and found one of the factory alloy ones (same as the five already on it) for a price that was TOO good to pass up....having a tyre spun onto it tonight so that is both spares are sorted. I will EASILY recoup the price of this rim and a good portion of the cost of the steel rims when I sell the six alloys at some point down the road.

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Have you used this yet? Does it perform as a expected? I looked and this specific solar blanket seems to be an Australian product. I could not find it for sale in the US. I did find some solar blankets but they were pricey. I do like how it folds into a small pouch

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

I set it up and charged a small lead acid battery I had in the garage that use to be in my dirt bike (went over lithium in that). It took it from nothing to having a charge but it was a highly nontechnical test. I have not done the wiring to my truck yet to make it a direct plug and play and probably wont till late in the year (time issues). Most of the reviews on these are "OK", a solid higher quality panel will work better but a a cost of weight and space. This is purely for my mobile needs. You do need to chase the sun with them (angle them to get direct sunlight). Folding blankets are quite common here.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Andy the Aussie

Gumtree rim with a new tyre spun on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

......spent some time working on tidying up wiring and adding some waterproof plugs to things. Also received a set of custom canvas seat covers I had been waiting a month for (custom as they, at my request, mismatch a set for me, one for the factory passenger side and one for the new driver's seat). Passenger side is fine but the driver's side is a no go....about 10cm short at the back....:mad::mad:

11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

im gonna have to stop coming to this thread it makes me drool

3M-TA3, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Those spare tires would attract attention here. Can't see the brake lights ---- (Maybe those auxiliaries in the bumper would pass inspection, dunno.)

Witch Doctor 01 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Andy the Aussie

.....here the LED lights in the bumper make this fully compliant with ADR, Factory turn and reverse lights are in almost the same spot, simply adding the brake lights as well. Also if you look above the rear doors you can see an additional red light bar there, that is also a brake light.

Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  14. Andy the Aussie

...... I look at the pics and compare that to my dwindling bank account..... :eek: but you only live once....I drove my last one for 23yrs so I get the $s back out of them... :D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, we have those mandated here, too. 'Sfunny how things happen, a third brake light was on late 1940s Chrysler products, a style feature. Dunno when they stopped.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Andy the Aussie

Today's project.....

[​IMG]

Got them fitted up but what a BASTARD of a job. Thought the easiest would be to drop the headlight units out, assemble and replace them, got 90% of the way and discovered two bolts that precluded the removal. I could not access those bolts without removing the bullbar and winch.....damn....so the space behind the lights was too damn tight to easily work (because of the heat-sinks on the units and because I have large manly man hands - and you know what THAT means ;):whistle: ). Ended up removing the battery and battery box on one side and the airbox on the other to give me the space I needed to work. All done and working now. A lesson in this, I would HATE to be doing this job out on the side of the road !!!!!!! That will take some thought about what spares I carry !!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. Andy the Aussie

Been quiet (it's winter so working my corner to pay for knives and truck modifications has been slow)... ;)

So yesterday not a new accessory but I managed to get the old rack from my 80 Series fitted to this truck. Been putting it off as it is really a three or four person job to do but after a couple of hours with a tape measure, spanner and some cam buckle ties down I managed to get all the bases adjusted to fit this truck. All six of the bases are adjustable for height and width. Height proved easy (as low as it could go) but width was a bit of a pain though I was within a 1/2cm on each one once I lowered it down. I had previously removed all the fittings, cleaned them up and replaced all the bolts/washers etc.......once I thought I was close I lowed it out of the garage roof using the cam buckle tie downs then drove it out and made the final with adjustments prior to bolting it in place.....

[​IMG]

.......my local ARB dealer (who I shall call "Pablo") had an open day yesterday and was offering some good deals if you paid 20% down so the steel side rails and steps are on the way now... :D

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  18. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Looking like a million bucks! 'Bout ready for a Canning Stock run?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Andy the Aussie

.....thanks mate......was just talking to my best mate about he, his son and I doing that very thing in 2021 !

Gator 45/70 and Byte like this.
  20. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

One of my bucket list dream trips is doing the whole down under cross continent trip on as little pavement as possible. Spend an entire season doing it. Question would be, how to avoid the wet and the hot... But it'd be epic! I need to drink a pint in Alice Springs before I kick it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Thunder5Ranch
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Motomom34
  5. STANGF150
  6. 3M-TA3
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7