Venison Vs. Beef Controversy

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by NVBeav, Oct 24, 2010.

1. beast

beast backwoodsman

diet does effect the taste
    eat one thats been living on pine bark and needles once
    youll know....lol

2. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

As for dealing with the "Gamey" taste of venison...my grandpa taught us that to get rid of the gamey taste, just soak the venison overnight in some pepsi or coke...the acid in the drink will get rid of the gamey flavor...it really does work...give it a try!

3. beast

beast backwoodsman

personally, i think if you want tame beef flavor
    kill a cow

Hispeedal2 likes this.
  4. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Yea that is so true. We have a bunch of places we shoot deer from and the flavor is different from each place. Swamp deer are gamey and farm deer are fat and much more tender. There is no comparison between a corn or tenderlean fed deer and one that has been eating nothing but Acorns and cedar browse . I like baiting and feeding deer as I can feed them lots of wild apples at no cost to me. They get fat and sweet on fruit. I like that taste best. Corn and apple fed are the very best eating Deer. I have eaten around 80/85 deer in my time. I only really had one or two that did not taste good enough to keep. One was an old swamp doe that was so frealing tough that the meat was just like leather and tasted bitter and strong like old tallow. I stopped shooting old deer at that time. Now I look for those 2 to 3 year olds and try to do my harvesting in and around farm country. I hunt apple trees most of the time because deer love apples and love apple fed venison. Kingfish

5. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I've never had any venison that wasn't tasty. We know how to do it right, each step of the way from the forest to the freezer.

6. Wroland

Wroland Monkey+

Venison over beef any day. The "game" taste is what makes it different. Why try and hide it

7. idhunt

idhunt Monkey+

I like elk much better than deer, but that in my opinion. I have eaten both and deer is my jerky and peperoni and elk is my meat on the table. Antelope is something I would not feed to my dog, I have eaten off of many animals and can't choke it down. I guess I have the advantage of living in a state with over the counter tags for elk, but deer are not what I would rather have on my plate.

8. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

You lost me at: "a Grade A Choice Holstein steer " .......ain't no such thing.....Holsteins are long legged bags of bones that barely make somewhat acceptable hamburger if you throw in generous helping of pork fat.

We did put 3 nice pigs in the walk-in cooler in the "man cave" the other day, and finished cutting them up today.
    DSC01364.JPG

9. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

You have a walk-in in your man cave...? [respect]

10. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

You don't have a bunch of e-coli recalls or deaths from the venison even though it might be dragged across the field, shot in a swamp or field dressed by the less than qualified "butcher".

It must say something about our meat production system.

11. sniper69

sniper69 Monkey+

I had to send this to some friends. Figured they would chuckle as much as I did. :D

12. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

Bambie makes cute sandwiches too

its better to have and not need than need and not have

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7