VERY STUPID AND VERY LUCKY

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowbyrd, Aug 21, 2011.

1. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

:oops:[2c]Almost burned down my cabin. Stupid stupid stupid. My propane lamp ran out of gas, so I lit some candles while it cooled. Went to put a new cylinder on and it did not seal well. Guess what....FLAME ON.....It used to hang from a chain off of the rafter. First I booted the dogs out and then had to deal with the flamming, swinging fire ball. Grabbed the extinguisher but instead trie to tossthedog water on it. No go. Tryed to smother it with a towel, nope, flames went right through it. Ended up grabbing it with the towel and ripping it off the chain and tossing it out the door, TNX GOD for the rain. Haven't had any in two or so weeks. Gee, scorched my beard, hair and eye lashes, very toasty.

Only done the same thing hundreds of time without a problem.........STUPID, STUPID STUPID!!!!

When they say not near an open flame believe it!
    When they say not inside, believe it!
    It don't matter how many times you are STUPID and get away with something,don't be STUPID and do it anyways.

Lucky I didn't burn down the house, lose most of what I hold dear or my dog's lives or even my own. Lesson learned,,,never to be forgotten.

Woulda had a BIG mess with the extinguisher and I assesed the potental danger in not using it. Sure am glad the BIG GUY upstairs was with me tonight.

2. beast

beast backwoodsman

even when no one is hurt a housefire is devastating
    the worst part is the damage the firemen do putting it out...lol

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Glad you are still with us, and have learned that lesson well without more damage or injury! We all get complacent. But you dealt with it, overcame and won't make that mistake again!

Opinionated likes this.
  4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Very Lucky indeed!
    Glad to hear it all ended well!
    It has probably happened to a lot more people than will ever tell....!

5. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

"Nature always sides with the hidden flaw." Murphy's Law

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Snowbyrd, well written warning and post.
    Almost all the warnings we read, or know of, one way or another, are written in blood or heartache. It is why they are there, and why they should be followed.
    I am very happy you and yours have survived this dangerous episode with little or no harm to anything substantial.
    Kudos for sharing the experience with the post.

oth47 likes this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The one thing that can get me in trouble up here is fire. Thanks to that story, I'm upping my fire discipline a notch.

8. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Thank God you made it out ok and managed to save the place.

9. LogOut

LogOut Monkey+

Looks like something else to add to your sig line.

You refillin' the cannisters ? Would placing one wrap of white teflon tape on the threads of the cannister help ?

Thankfully it sounds like you were not hurt bad. Burns are serious hurt.

10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Glad you escaped disaster, KF

11. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

I do refill my canisters but this was a new one, just a 1st degree (small) on my arm, from the inital 'blast'. The fire dept is vollinteer (sp) and takes about 30 to 40 minutes to get anywhere, if they can find you. I quit filling my stoves inside too.
    Might shave the beard to avoid embarresment. ha ha

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

One of the better way to refill those small LP Bottles, is to freeze the empties first, and then fill them from a 10# or 20# tank, turned upside down. this being ALWAYS done "out of doors" for safety. I converted my LPGrill to use a 20# tank, so I wouldn't have to use the little hand tanks, anymore. the seals usually fail after a few refills. ..... YMMV....

LogOut likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7