Veterans Day 2009...

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by CRC, Nov 11, 2009.

1. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sooo...I took my dad to the Parade today, to honor our Veterans....He's 86 now, and not in the best shape. His mind is still sharp, but his body is giving out on him....

We were right on the waterfront, downtown....Nice parade...When the Active Duty guys from Tyndall AFB were marching by? One of them happened to notice Dad's pilot jacket from WWII.....He broke ranks and came over and shook my dad's hand and thanked him for his service....

He asked Dad what he'd done...and my dad stood up and said "P51 COMBAT pilot...WWII"

The other man, stepped back and saluted my dad...Dad saluted back...and then 2 other guys came over and thanked him....Word got around, and all morning long, people were coming up and thanking Dad...After the parade, they just kept coming up and shaking his hand....I thanked one of the guys for his service, and he said "We do it for you, not for ourselves..."

All my emotions seemed to be behind my eyes today... :oops:

Awesome Day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I bet it was an awesome day!

Those soldiers should be very proud to be so respectful, too. Warms my heart. :)

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Very nice CRC. [flag]

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

WOW, Very nice CRC.

Enjoy your time with your dad, I truly miss mine. I would have loved to call him and thank him for his service, but I can no longer do that.

Thanks for sharing.

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

"Wow" is right! Glad your dad got to experience the respect he deserves..

6. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Seeing the photos after hearing the story: It just warms my heart all over again.

Thank you for sharing. :)

7. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You can call my dad....I'll share. :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7