Veterans Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Witch Doctor 01, Nov 10, 2015.

1. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Incorrect. We don't have kings and we don't capitulate just because the President or whomever dies. Indeed, if they are foolish enough to take us into a war that is not just, they deserve to die...and if the war is just, then there will be plenty of us dying right with them.

Riddle me this, how free can a country be if it has to force its citizens to defend it?

How just can the cause be if free people will not volunteer to defend it?

We didn't need a draft to create this country, we don't need one to defend it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    kellory, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

For the one playing the game and issuing the orders, the game ends if he dies. He will not lead from the front like the Spartans.
    We do not quit when the king dies, because it is nolonger about the king.

3. chimo

If that was the case, we would have quit WWII when FDR died and the South would have risen again when Lincoln died. Sorry, history does not agree with your theory.

4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I am just wondering when War, conflict, police actions...what have you, became a "game". This thread is about our Veterans and their service... If you want to discuss games... maybe another thread needs to be started to further discuss, without muddying this one up.

Tikka and Sapper John like this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

you're talking large-scale I'm talking small-scale they're not the same thing.
    Neither Lincoln nor Kennedy lead from the front while President. That was not thier role or function. While their legacy lives on, their game died with their deaths. ( game over thank you for playing)
    It's a matter of perspective.
    Leading from the front with modern weapons, is the mark of a fool, he would be killed in the first salvo, so why would he?
    He's calling the shots and naming targets. His loss (no matter how enept he is) would sow confusion to his own troops, as the chain of command fails. The logistics would a nightmare.
    There is no law that could force the Commander in Chief to fight from such an exposed position, and if a law were proposed, he'd veto it. (In his own eyes), he is too important to risk in that fashion.

So it's a pipe dream, and will never come to fruition. Enjoy your fantasy, I have to get back to work. Pray continue, I shall take my leave here.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Tikka likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We need to REMEMBER what happened when "The Pres." was running a WAR.... Leave the War Plans, and Fighting to the Fighters, and leave the Politicos, in DC, figuring out how to FUND the WAR.... If WAR is Needed... Gen. George Marshal was a Great Logistics Man, and Planner, but Gen. Patton, Bradley, & MaCarthur were the Fighters.... Always remember that.... Give the Fighters the Tools, and they will ALWAYS Win.... Give them Political Considerations, and they will ALWAYS Lose....

Sapper John likes this.
  8. chimo

I led from the front...yeah I might be a fool. ;)

9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

FWIW. I always take off veterans day to recognize those that serve and served. Did two public Vet Day memorials this year.

MLK was a womanizer and a public manipulator, no hero in my book.

10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

[OT]

chelloveck likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

This is true and yet despite his flaws he created a peacful movement that changed our world. Now the pendulum has swung too far left, hopefully it will swing back right again before we are all slaves

12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

As a Vet I can say that it is not in my set of values to create any type of movement that puts one person or persons above another as an excuse to have a peaceful movement.

Anytime you make second class citizens you end up with a second class country.

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

This thread was about Veteran's Day and wandered off topic.

Here is something I remember every Veteran's Day:

It is the soldier, not the reporter,
    who has given us freedom of the press.
    It is the soldier, not the poet,
    who has given us freedom of speech.
    It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
    who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the soldier, not the lawyer,
    who has given us the right to a fair trial.
    It is the soldier, not the politician,
    who has given us the right to vote.
    It is the soldier, who salutes the flag,
    who serves beneath the flag,
    and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
    who allows the protester to burn the flag.
    (Charles M. Province)

Or as George Orwell said:
    People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf.

God Bless our Warriors, past and present for without them our way of live would not exist.

I am very proud to be a Veteran of the Armed Forces of United States of America.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7