Vitamin D Deficiency

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by HK_User, Dec 8, 2021.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Vitamin D Deficiency: Symptoms & Treatment

Getting enough, but not too much, vitamin D is needed to keep your body functioning well. Vitamin D helps with strong bones and may help prevent some cancers. Symptoms of vitamin D deficiency can include muscle weakness, pain, fatigue and depression. To get enough D, look to certain foods, supplements, and carefully planned sunlight.

What are the health effects of vitamin D deficiency?
    Getting enough vitamin D may also play a role in helping to keep you healthy by protecting against the following conditions and possibly helping to treat them. These conditions can include:

HK> as all can see a major source of vitamin D should be on hand to those at risk at being unprepared for long times of low sunshine as those in the northern climes as well as those with the above medical conditions.

NOTE> Recently there was a problem with obtaining long term Vitamin D source supply due to the phony CCP event. Prep or be without.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

All the people who are over 60 and were unusually vitamin D deficit and caught china virus all died. According to a study I was reading.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We take 1000 units every 24 Hours… It is important for us folks who live in a Rain Forest… or Live in an APT on the 5th Floor with just one window that looks out over the neighborhood....

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This summer I made it a habit of sit on the porch in the morning. I would be getting natural Vitamin D. I would sit and read for about an hour and I felt happier. It really does make a difference.

Tully Mars, Sunnyvibes, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

2000 IU per day here, I've read that some physicians take up to 8000 IU during cold and flu season and if around Covid patients. Vitamine D is fat soluble and therefore stored in the body, so one should be cautious about how much they take.

ColtCarbine, SB21, mysterymet and 3 others like this.
  6. Srchdawg-again

Srchdawg-again Monkey++

I got the rona June 2020 and about August I was wore out which is unusual for me. My doc is pretty sharp did a CBC and my vit.D was 11, normal is 70 to100 so a year and a half later I`m still taking prescribed D twice a week. I was almost 59 at the time takes a long time to get it built back up and I`m sure covid was responsible.

SB21, mysterymet, HK_User and 3 others like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I take D3 when I remember to take it which is about twice a week

8. Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf Monkey

I take 4000 units per day, when I remember. I do good for a while, then forget and fall off the wagon. Trying to get better about that.
    DW

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I was reading that one needs to have a certain amount of Vitamin K when taking large doses of D. But one needs to be careful when taking Vitamin K2 because that will affect clotting. I take Vitamin D but once a week will take a Vit D/ Vit K supplement.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

When I was hospitalized earlier this year for what turned out to be a covid shot reaction, the first thing the hospitalist working the ER did was to prescribe 2000 units of D3 per day. I've been taking them ever since and will continue.

I need to follow @Motomom34 's plan as well. Sunlight brings happiness and getting away from the urban treadmill brings reflection on the important things.

Tully Mars, ColtCarbine, SB21 and 6 others like this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I have a health condition which I control with medication, this medicine interferes with my body's ability to absorb calcium, so I have been taking Vitamin D/ Calcium supplements for decades. I get about 1800-2000 IU of Vitamin D and 1000 mg of Calcium daily, not counting what I eat. So far, the couple of broken bones that I suffered were many years ago and were warranted, considering the circumstances.

12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I take my vitamins at night with no food so through the night everything has a chance to assimilate through the night.
    I spend some time in the sun working out side during the summer so I'm not worried about Getting enough D but I take some anyway.
    I realize that getting older these things become more important so I must adjust my thinking, which before in life I never took vitamins at all. but then I spent a lot of time working in the sun, doing construction and working on boats.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  13. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

The beauty of vitamin D is that you have a ready made resource for it (the sun). If you live in the snow belt states, you can take itty bitty gel caps (smaller than a small pea), that will give you a boost of it, with whatever other pills you might take. (y)
    Like HK user said, you CAN take too much, though.....so keep track of what you're taking, and don't be afraid to bring it up with your doctor. Since I moved back up north, my new doctor here told me, last year, that some of her patients were taking upwards of 8000 IU per day! I currently take ~2500, and that seems to be working for me.

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

My Doc has me set up for a complete blood panel that covers my age and needs. So twice a year I am covered.
    In fact the VA only does about half my Doc's selection.
    2000 IU on the D3.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Most vitamins are absorbed better when taken with food, especially fats, and some can cause indigestion if taken on an empty stomach. I'm one of those people that take mega doses of almost all of the major vitamin and mineral supplements, it's a wonder that I don't rattle when I walk. I don't tell my doctor how much I take cause most doctors are clueless when it comes to supplementation, and will insist that you just need to eat a balanced diet,...but they don't know what that is either!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

Did you notice that report didn't say anything about how much D is too much? They did say its rare to have too much but left that whole arena vague intentionally. The average diet should have 10-20k IU daily. If you are in a high risk environment for getting sick you can boost it to 50k-100k IU per day, depending on age and risk factors, but I wouldn't go over that.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

Early morning sun bath will helps to improving Vitamin D and taking rich amount of vitamin D present vegetables and fruits in the daily life will surely helps to overcome vitamin D deficiency.

18. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

5k IU D3 and 50mg Zinc daily.

Wife tested positive for Rona twice, I skated....

I do welcome the sun when it comes out of hiding...

19. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

allergies for me are really bad!!! (burning sinuses and drainage so heavy that makes you wanna throw up ill)

so sitting outside in the morning is not wise... seems the pollen is at it's worst right around sunrise and slowly goes down toward evenings...

so take capsules... was told by VA at one point I was over doing it on the vit D... was taking a LOT back then... now take 1000 IU daily...

take some meds for it which helps... but not much...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I take between 20 and 25k units day depending on how many capsules I shake out of the bottle in the morning. As I am a vampire and avoid the sun at all costs I go a little overboard. Haven't grown 2 heads yet.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7