Recipe Vonslob's Green Chili Stew & other chili recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by vonslob, Nov 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Green chili stew. It is very easy.
    • 2 1/2 lbs ground beef or cubed pork, beef chuck, venison (prefer elk)
    • 1-2 lbs green chili frozen preferred can if you have to. I like a mixture of hot and medium.
    • 2-3 large potatoes cubed 1/4"
    • 2 15oz cans of pinto beans, drained
    • 1 large onion small dice
    • 5+ cloves of garlic diced fine
    • 1/2 stick of butter
    • salt and pepper
    Cube meat 1/4" and brown in a oiled stock pot, i like using lard for this. Brown the meat well. Remove browned meat from pot and deglaze the pot with water, be careful if there is grease still in the pot. When i remove the meat i just dump it grease and meat into bowl. Deglaze the pot. Be sure to scrape the pot well, lots of good stuff stuck to the bottom.
    After the pot is deglazed, add about 1/2 gallon of water to the stock pot. Put the meat back in, add the green chili, garlic,onions, and salt and pepper. Let this simmer until the cubed meat is just about to fall apart.
    When the meat it ready add the potatoes and simmer till the potatoes are soft, really soft so that it kinda thickens the stew. If using ground beef add the potatoes when the meat is browned.

When the potatoes are done add the beans and the butter and adjust salt for taste. This stew is all about the green chili that is why frozen is so important. We eat it over eggs, as a stew with saltines or homemade tortillas, or as a sauce over a grilled burger patty covered in melted cheddar cheese on half a burger bun (chili size, yes we hispanics in northern nm have embraced tex-mex, sorta, dont let the texans know).

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Sounds good and I'll bet that after a few days it is absolutely ... Unbelievable!

3. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Brother, a couple of days in the frig and then over eggs, i am telling it is awesome

chimo, Ganado, Sapper John and 2 others like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Great recipe, simple everyday ingredients. Thanks for sharing.

Ganado likes this.
  5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

You have to help out a poor dumb gringo, if you will. I am not crystal clear on exactly what I am to use, when you say "1 to 2 LB green chili, frozen preferred, canned if you have to. I like a mixture of hot and medium". Am I correct in that the canned type would be the "diced green chili peppers" and "diced jalapenos" found in ethnic cooking grocery section here in the east usa?

Ganado and vonslob like this.
  6. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Queso

• 1 large box of velveta. Not a store brand only velveta, never had good results using anything else
    • 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    • 2 cans cheddar cheese soup
    • 1 1/2 and 2 lbs of green chili. Frozen is best, you really get cheated if you use canned.
    • 5-6 cloves garlic mince really fine or use a garlic press
    Melt velveta over low heat stirring constantly. As the cheese melts add the four cans of soup. When the cheese has completely melted add the chili, the garlic and you are basically done. Be careful with the heat because if the cheese burns on the bottom of the pan it throws the taste off. You can thin it with either water or milk. We serve it with tortilla chips we fry here. Get a pack of corn tortillas. Cut each tort into four pieces. Heat some oil to about 350 degrees and fry those suckers for about a minute, you will know when they are done they start to brown. As soon as they are out of the oil, salt them and drain on paper towels. Best tortilla chips ever, if anyone tell you different they work for a tortilla chip company

Dunerunner likes this.
  7. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Diced green chili peppers you find in the stores are a different chili than the jalapenos. jalapenos have a sweeter taste. You want to look for what is usually called new mexico style chilies. East coast might be rough. I would look for the bueno brand. Some day i will tour the country delivering frozen green chili to all my fellow monkeys. Our chilies our different than mexican chilies.

Ganado and tacmotusn like this.
  8. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Green Chili meatballs
    • 2 1/2 lbs of ground beef
    • 1 1/2 lbs green chili, keep about 1/4 for the sauce
    • 2 eggs beaten
    • 3/4 cup of bread crumbs
    • 1/3 dried minced onion
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt. I really like sea salt
    • 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, but i only use about 1 1/2 cans
    combine the meat, chili, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, salt, basically every thing but the soup. Roll the meat mixture into 1 to 1 1/2 inch meatballs. Brown in a deep skillet, set aside to drain when done. Then deglaze the pan with water. Add the chili that was held back and the soup. Add enough water to make a gravy. Then add the meatballs. Done. We eat this with the queso on top with either tortilla chips or homemade flour tortillas. Awesome over eggs

Dunerunner likes this.
  9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

There are a few Hispanic grocery stores about in my area that I have not been in. I will make it my business to check out their inventory of green chili peppers. Almost all of our non Hispanic grocery stores have a variety of ethnic sections. The canned green chili peppers and canned green jalapeno peppers are the primary choices I have to work with. Any advice on amount to use of those?

10. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Carne Adovada

• Two lbs of cube pork 3/4 inch cube.
    • 1 cup of new mexico style dried red chili powder.
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons of powder garlic
    • 1 cup chicken stock
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    Put the cubed pork into a oven proof pan or a crock pot ( i like the crock pot). Mix the chili with about two cups of water to make a watery paste, add the salt, and garlic powder to the chili and pour over the cubed pork. Add the chicken stock, cover the pan and cook in the oven at 350 degrees. It is done when you can mash the meat down with a fork and it shreds. You can eat it with flour tortilla, or we eat it over mash potatoes.

11. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

We just don't use it so i really do not know. I have to go to the grocery store and will look into it. I am thinking that the hispanic grocery stores in your area like here are more stocked with items that more southern. New mexico really does have a unique style of cooking really not typical of what is usually known as mexican cooking, similar but different. For example did not know what a fajita was until i went to college in san antonio, i am not kidding. Not that i did not have flour tortillas with meat inside them but we really did not have a name for them, and the meat was not marinaded.
    My dad did not have his first taco until he was in the army and was in california, i am not kidding. My mom used to make tacos but she is from kansas. Chili for new mexician is either red or green and is a sauce. The same but kinda different.

Ganado and tacmotusn like this.
  12. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Empanadas Sweet meat filled

Filling
    • 2 lbs boneless pork, any cut
    • 3/4 teaspoon allspice
    • 2 cups chopped raisins. Chop well, it gets sticky but chop fairly fine try not to have half pieces
    • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
    • 2 cups applesauce
    • 1 cup diced apples. I use granny smith apple, they are fairly tart
    • 2 cups white sugar
    • 1 cup pinon nuts. You can use other nuts but then chop them
    Boil pork slowly till the meat fall apart. This is important because eventually the pork in going through a food mill. Then like i just typed run the pork through a food mill or a food processor, you want it really fine. In the old days beef tongue was used and they cooked it till it was soft. After the meat is ground down add the rest of the ingredients mix well and let it sit for twenty four hours.

Dough

• 1 1/2 cups of flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
    • 2 tablespoons very cold water. The colder the better.
    • 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water.
    • 4 oz cream cheese, room temp soft
    Using a pasty blender or a couple of forks combine the flour and cream cheese. When mixed well add the baking powder, mix in and then the vinegar, mix in. Then mix in the cold water, use only what you have to to make the dough workable. Then knead the dough on a floured surface with lots of flour on your hand. Knead for a couple of minutes, this is important, two or three minutes. Put into the fridge until cool about 2o minutes. The dough is best worked when cold. Roll out some and cut out 4" to 6" pieces, i use a plastic lid that is about 4 1/2" diameter. Take a dough circle and place enough filling but not too much. What i mean it you want it full but you still need to seal the edges. Rub the egg wash along the perimeter of the dough circle and the fold the dough over and pinch to seal. Then take a fork and gently push down, helping to seal the edges, plus it looks cool. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. We hide these from each other. I am the only one that makes them, that makes me the favorite son, at least at christmass time. Traditionally they were deep fried but baking is healthier. My dad and my uncle always bitch that they are not deep fried but, they eat them with gusto, and they are all old geezers that i want to keep around.

Dunerunner and tacmotusn like this.
  13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

vonslob, I want to thank you for all the recipes. I know it can be a pain in the butt, trying to write it all down just as you do it, and all that goes into it. These recipes for me will be treasured as they are unique to any recipes I have in my collection of recipes. More so for the PM you sent and the history behind the recipes. I have pretty good taste buds for regional substitutions where necessary, and if I can I will return to you the possible and acceptable substitute(s) for your regional chili peppers. As for peppers in cooking, I use any from as tame as sweet bell peppers, to hot as scotch bonnets. Sometimes fresh peppers just aren't available to serve my exact needs and I use the canned Mexican diced green chili peppers, or pickled banana or jalapeno peppers, or canned diced jalapeno peppers, or Watkins dried ground Chipotle Chile pepper, or dried ground Cayenne pepper, or dried crushed red pepper seeds. You have to admit, when it comes to Peppers there are thousands of possibilities. Happy cooking / eating. Tac

Ganado and vonslob like this.
  14. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I will post more i need to write them down. We have a gathering on wensday before thanksgiving and one on christmass eve. The christmass eve party starts around 4pm and will go on after midnight. People come and go and then gather before midnight mass. Family, friends, clients etc. We don't put out much booze but if you are part of the inner circle my dad hosts a party within a party in his study. That is where the good stuff is, scotch and cigars. The food layout usually include a dozen or so entree type dishes and tons of different sweets, enough to fill two dinning tables. Most everyone leaves for midnight mass about 10:30. Then a smaller circle of us cousins and close friends stay behind and tie one on. It has been going on for years and it is highly anticipated every year. More recipes to follow.

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I picked up some fresh roasted green chilis. Look forward to trying some of these recipes.

tacmotusn likes this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@vonslob. You are a REAL new Mexican real green chili and no tomatoes in you recipe! The velvets us a bit iffy. ;)

Nothing beats Hatch green chilies freshly toasted! But you can used canned green chile's

Instead of velvets (ewww) butter, cornstarch and evaporated milk and cheddar cheese. Great queso! Takes less time than melting the velveeta

Thanks for reviving this thread @Motomom34

Motomom34 and tacmotusn like this.
  17. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@tacmotusn. Yes! Those will work.. suggestion go light on the hot unless you have a backup plan for heat from both ends. ;)

And you are my hero now I can stock up!

tacmotusn likes this.
  19. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Thanks, but don't give me too much credit. All the info needed to find those chilies was in post #7

Ganado likes this.
  20. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Has anyone ever considered how much chilies are labelled "Hatch"? If they were all from Hatch, NM, the entire state of NM would have to be raising chilies....around Hatch. From what I hear, there are tons of farmers raising the chilies labelled "Hatch", and all they have to do is send a truckload to Hatch, NM and that suffices to make them "Hatch" chilies.

Kajun

1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi