Gear Review Voodoo Tactical MATRIX Pack

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by melbo, Feb 27, 2013.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

MATRIX = Modular Assault Tactical Rucksack IX

Been wanting to review something in the BOB category and since I've had good luck with Voodoo Tactical lately, requested a demo bag from Ron at TopSpecUS.com

For a pack of this size, it's nearly perfect for my needs. Well planned pockets, pouches and ergonomics lead me to believe that this may become my small backpack of choice in the coming outdoors season :).

IMG_1342 (Large).JPG

From the Voodoo tactical site:
    IMG_1338 (Medium).JPG

Like everything from Voodoo tactical, this bag is overbuilt to be tough and functional. It has the general assortment of pockets, pouches and MOLLE for individual customization. This pack also makes generous use of YKK zippers, velcro and snap buckles.

IMG_1345 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1346 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1349 (Medium).JPG

The interior of the main compartment is roomy and includes lots of additional organizing features. There is also a padded sleeve for a small to medium sized laptop and a hydration sleeve.

IMG_1341 (Medium).JPG

The straps are comfortable and include two zippered pockets for small items that you'd like to keep close at hand. The adjustable waist belt is removable which allows you to take it off and stow it when you'd prefer to use the grab handle to carry the pack.

IMG_1339 (Medium).JPG

This is a great medium sized pack that should meet the requirements of most. If I don't weekend hike with it, I may keep it loaded up in my truck as a backup GHB. $103.95 w/ free shipping at TopSpecUS.com | Voodoo Tactical Improved Matrix Pack Backpack Hydration 15-9032

IMG_1343 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1350 (Medium).JPG

TopSpecUS carries a pretty complete line of Voodoo Tactical gear and I plan to try most of it ;)

TopSpecUS.com | Voodoo Tactical

Bear and Brokor like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I take it that there's an internal frame of some sort? Also, what does the surface against the wearer's back look like?

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

This one is frameless which lends it to the '3 day assault pack' category over the 2 week hump category. The waist belt helps too.

It's tough to tell but the back is padded and vented

IMG_1340 (Medium).JPG

Bear likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. laraming
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Shinzo
  6. H.I.S Survival
  7. Airtime
  8. TI.Proof
  9. AD1