w10 users beware

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sec_monkey, Aug 1, 2015.

1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

An Anonymous / user wrote

caution: language

linky
    Ask Slashdot: Can You Disable Windows 10's Privacy-Invading Features? - Slashdot

Solitaire on w10 will cost $1.49/month or $10/year according to various sources.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

);

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm rapidly losing interest in retaining anything resembling internet access.

4. sec_monkey

Internet access can be very useful :). Your OS potentially spying on you is not cool :( :cry: :mad: :sick:

5. ghrit

Exactly so, grasshopper. How to prevent that spying is the open question. (I have a REAL deck of cards, so solitaire is not important.)

RightHand, kellory and sec_monkey like this.
  6. sec_monkey

You could try the operating systems M uses :) They are spyware free as far as we know :)

7. ghrit

Getting lazy, no wish to learn another way to do business. He's an apple fiend, IIRC, when not messing with linux.

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Exactly why I keep my business computers totally offline. Its one thing to allow myself to be vulnerable but unforgivable to put my clients in that position.

BTPost, NotSoSneaky, oldawg and 7 others like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I do not know why they need to keep changing and "improving" things. Personally I really liked Windows 7. We bought a new laptop with 8 and it is horrible, not user friendly IMO. (Putting on tinfoil hat) It seems that soon people will not be able to read. We will look for pictures and images to do what we want.

Thank you @sec_monkey for posting the review on 10

RightHand and sec_monkey like this.
  10. sec_monkey

1 step forward, 15 steps back :(

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

W8, from what I have heard, was really bad, which is why they (MS) released 8.1. I have 8.1 on my work laptop and after a couple of days with it, I was OK with the new interface. Yes, it's different than what used to be out there, but without change and innovation moving forward we'd all still be on DOS or at least a DOS/Windows system.

I pulled the trigger just yesterday on "upgrading" my home system from W7 Pro to W10, really just to see how it works. After reading a few blogs about some of the "enhancements" I was able to go and "turn off" some "features" but one has to wonder, is it really "off". I'm mean, yes, my little icon says "off" but if MS put this option in and wanted it on, then the option to turn it off could just be window dressing and doesn't really do anything. Time will tell.

I did have on interesting thing with my upgrade. I have 2 USB 3.0 external drives. One is hooked up to a 2.0 port and the other (what I use for backups) is hooked up to my 3.0 port (the 3.0 port is an add in card). After upgrading, the drive on the 2.0 port worked just fine, but the 3.0 port had an error. Great. Got it working, just don't know why it's now working. I uninstalled the driver for the 3.0 card and tried to install the one from my mfg, but windows, in all it's glory, said, nope, use ours it's newer and better. After reinstalling and hooking up the drive, it's now working. Same driver, same cable, same port, just uninstalled and reinstalled the SAME driver and now it's working, go figure.

Now, looking at the windows "backup" settings, says I should "backup to an external hard drive" (note from above i have 2 OF THEM), says no external drives found, but you're welcome to use the W7 backup settings. And then is says my "drive is nearing failure" and I should not use it. WTF, everything was fine under W7, but now my drive is failing? why, there is no OS on the drive (this is the external HD on the USB3.0 port), just the backup of my user accounts and misc data.

12. sec_monkey

:eek: the drive could really be failing :( please backup your data to a known good drive as soon as you can.

You can boot from a linux DVD to run a drive check, it will display a health report for the connected drives :) Launch the gnome disk utility, click the icon on the right to expand the options, click SMART data & Self-Tests...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  13. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Software weenie (that's what we called them at work) job justification, $, more spying and dumbing down people.

Yard Dart, Georgia_Boy and Motomom34 like this.
  14. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

ghrit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my feelings exactly.

15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

So are you guys aware that windows 8.1 did exactly the same thing only it wasn't publicly advertised?

Thus horse has already left the barn

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

We are only tracking everything you do and everywhere you go to improve your experience...
    baaaahhh! baaaaahhh! baaaaaaaahhhhhhh!*

*"Gee, thanks! Thanks a lot!!!" in sheeple

kellory likes this.
  17. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Interesting. Think I'll be backing up my W7 before the W10 switchover. I'll load the W7 image back on if W10 looks fishy

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7