Waffles in the province.

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Asia-Off-Grid, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I never knew they could be so good.

Although some Third-World countries have "big-box" stores, Cambodia is a bit sparse in that area. (There are malls in Phnom Penh, though.) So, finding certain items often have to be located in smaller towns and villages, not unlike the village where we live. Keep in mind, we cannot just visit Amazon.com and pick out whatever we wish and have it on the front porch the very next day.

Recently, Chan, aka the "Boss", wanted to quench my desire for waffles. I truly didn't believe she could find a waffle iron. But, she did!

She began looking in the village, but was unable to find one at the local public market - an open air area, where you may find everything from meats, fish, and veggies, to clothing and housewares. Even various services are offered there - from seamstresses, to medical clinics.

But, after talking with a few locals, her quest led her to a local resident (on our farm road no less), who happened to have an aging iron, yet still in pretty good shape. (She borrowed it, but, upon returning the waffle iron, will ask if the woman may be willing to sell it.)
    waffle_iron.

Although she uses our LPG stove for most of our cooking, a upesi type stove is what she prepared the waffles on. Boy! Am I happy she found that waffle iron! They were fantastic!!

waffles_syrup_butter.

This is roughin' it, folks.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    john316, Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and 6 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

How is your butter and maple syrup supply?

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

waffles are the best!

4. Asia-Off-Grid

Slim pickings on syrup, here. But, when we find it at the local import stores, we buy as much as possible, at once. I want to stop using syrup, and start using honey only, as soon as we can.

Gator 45/70, SB21 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

ZOMG.

cant have that, we is gonna have to smuggle ya some real US/Canadian maple syrup :D :D :ROFLMAO::LOL:

[applaud] @ the Boss

Gator 45/70, SB21, Dont and 1 other person like this.
  6. Asia-Off-Grid

My apologies. We do get the real stuff here. The problem is, the stocks aren't regularly maintained here. So, when we do find it on the shelf, we buy as much as we can, and keep on hand. Prepping, Khmer style. :D

Gator 45/70, SB21, Dont and 1 other person like this.
  7. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

I love waffles and pancakes. Kind of a weakness for me. A few years back we found a recipe that called for vinegar... Wait wait, hear me out! Seems it is a substitute for buttermilk. Somehow the vinegar does something magic to the milk before you mix it into the batter. Makes pancakes crispy and oh lord the waffles! Already more firm than a pancake but with the added crispy? It's heaven folks, trust me. The flavor is just a bit different but in a good way. Also, having the oil to temp so the batter just begins to sizzle as you pour. Do yourself a favor and look this technique up. You won't be sorry.

Asia-Off-Grid and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Asia-Off-Grid

Chan finally caught the lady home yesterday, to return the iron. But, she took time to ask if she was interested in selling it.
    The lady was willing to let the iron go for a song, $5.00 USD. So, the Boss bought it for me.
    She also told Chan that she bought it sometime between twenty-five and thirty years ago.
    Well, it looks as though I can have waffles anytime I want, now! You are all invited to my 1st Annual Waffle Day party!
    making_waffles.
    I am officially ready for SHTF!

john316, Hanzo, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  9. ghrit

OK, if you survive waking the boss up ----

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Survival waffles! :cool:

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Hey @Asia-Off-Grid, a foodie friend of mine turned me on to mochi waffles. She just brought raw mochi squares, cut them in half to make them thinner and waffled them. It was different, but really good. Then she brought toppings for it. Chocolate and some stuff from Trader Joe's. Really good with all the stuff on it.

12. Asia-Off-Grid

Funny you mentioned that. She was talking with me just last night, regarding various ingredients she could add to the batter, so I won't grow tired of the same thing. Not sure if mochi is available here. But, she said she can look around for it this morning, while she is in town. (She's outside preparing some waffles with bacon at the moment, in fact.)

Various toppings would be a great idea as well.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Gator 45/70, Hanzo and sec_monkey like this.
  13. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Do you have blueberries in Cambodia? That's my favoyite flavor of waffles.

14. Asia-Off-Grid

Not that I am aware of. That would be nice, though, for sure.

I am thinking of asking her to try some Mango. I don't think they are in season at the moment, though.

She tried bananas once, without telling me. Said they didn't turn out very well. Not exactly what that was about.

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and Hanzo like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

No need to put them in. Just put them on. Maybe better. You don't get the moisture into the waffle that way.

16. ghrit

durian --- :whistle:

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  17. Asia-Off-Grid

LOL
    During my time in the Philippines, I loved Durian candy. Haven't found it outside the country, though.

When you walk into a grocery store anywhere in SEA, you will know, right away, if the stock Durian!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Gator 45/70
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Motomom34
  7. Dunerunner
  8. ditch witch
  9. Ganado
  10. VisuTrac
  11. Zimmy