Waist high gardens

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by dbamsch, Jan 29, 2011.

1. dbamsch

dbamsch Monkey+++

I have found that sa I get older gardening on ground level gets more difficult. I have read one website that talked about waist high gardening. with the containers placed on a wooden stand to where you can stand up to tend the plants. Has anyone here done this type of gardening or point me to some web sites that explain these elevated stands? thanks

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I looked years ago and found very little helpful information online. It would be nice if you would be kind enough to share the website you found with me. I ended up going it on my own after an architect quoted me 1k for raised planters. I measured the height of tables in their dining rooms that enabled residents in wheel chairs to dine comfortably then went from there. Boxes were elevated from the ground on 6 pre-treated 6x6's that were set in concrete. I chose recycled plastic used for decks for the base and sides. The boxes were about 6' x 3'. They were 12" deep then outfitted with pond liners and filled with compost.... which was plenty deep enough to grow herbs. I did not build them.... the site's volunteers did. I literally just gave them my rudimentary drawings and material samples. I would be happy to forward photographs to you privately however I would feel uncomfortable posting the photos. Residents are in every photo gardening.

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Another thought.... what about straw bale gardening? That might raise your grow space up to a more appropriate height for you. Your investment would be the cost of straw or hay bales and compost for fill. Another thought would be basic raised beds. That's what I use combined with a vertex rocker like this, . Takes the strain off my back planting and weeding. I paid a lot less for mine at a garden center. I think I only paid like $20. It's a thought.

4. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

Get to the library and take out "Square Foot Gardening". I've been using a modified version of the methods.
    The great thing is that a lot of vegetable can be grown vertical. No more bending over!

5. Jcombe

Jcombe Monkey+

That's why I pocked up 100 flax straw bales to make a bunch of raised beds as last year the bunnies had a good ol time with my herbs and onions. Flax is best as they don't rot as quick. Put newspaper on top then the compost. Looking to make boxes outta plywood with marine stain and cedar 2x2's reclaimed from power poles.

6. Diddy

Diddy Monkey+

7. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Squarefoot is the best for any type of raised bed, limited space gardens, and weeding takes literally no time. IF you do not use yard soil (which contains weed seeds), you make the "Mels Mix", the weeds that do sprout are airborne seed, seed dropped by birds, etc. and pull out with zero effort.

8. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

9. MARIA

MARIA Monkey+

10. MARIA

MARIA Monkey+

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Be aware that those plastic covered "greenhouses" actually reduce sunlight (as well as increase heat.) I ran an experiment in my ex BILs planting beds a few years ago, and the light is reduced to about half. Plants that like direct sun MAY not do as well. You will have to run your own tests to determine the reduction by the plastic sheets you use. Seems to make no difference if clear or translucent sheet is used.

12. Bison_Forge

Bison_Forge Aspiring Knifemaker

My family uses Square Foot Gardening as well. The gentleman who first really got the concept of raised beds going has recently re-written his book on the topic. Worth looking into.

13. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

what do you recommend?? I was looking into these to but if you say that plastic ddoes not get all the sun, how about this stuff [​IMG]

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I haven't any recommendations at all. It is something to be aware of. You can take care of high temps with ventilation. So far as the loss of sun goes, that may or may not be a problem, depending on what you are raising.

15. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

This is the waist high thread.... wasn't there another thread on this somewhere else? Where did that thread go please?

16. dbamsch

dbamsch Monkey+++

17. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Ah... thank you damasch. That must be the website where I found that photo I posted for you. Have you tried building one yet?

18. dbamsch

dbamsch Monkey+++

I have not yet built one. I am trying to gather all the components to start building one.

19. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Good for you!!! Have you decided on a design for yourself? I'd love to see your photos when you get it going and of course.... the finished product. I'm totally into projects like this!

20. dbamsch

dbamsch Monkey+++

I don't design much. I usually see something I like, even from multiple sources and advice, and commence to hammer something together. If it works I planned it that way (ha) If it need needs tweaking I'll do a better job on the follow on parts. That's what I learned from my parents and grandparents, don't sweat the small stuff and build to work for you.
    Thanks to everyone for all your reply's and comments.

1. Ganado
  2. Thunder5Ranch
  3. DarkLight
  4. chelloveck
  5. chelloveck
  6. Brokor
  7. chelloveck
  8. Pop_45
  9. Hosster
  10. TXKajun
  11. TexasAggie
  12. tommixx