Walkie Talkies

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Joy12, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I don't know what part of the world you are trekking around in nor do I know if you are free ranging or traveling through established national US parks. If you are in the U.S. which we will assume at this time, @BTPost is correct with his recommendations (PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) or Spot Transponder) as one means....

If you are tramping around national or state parks, make sure to post a trek plan with the service with jurisdiction.... as well as family and friends. There are so many areas with no cell or repeater type coverage in the U.S. that you would be a fool to rely on modern communications unless you have one of the above mentioned devices or are rich and can afford a tac-sat or similar capability.

Bottom line is, discover what your communications capabilities are for your AO, set a plan to meet that capability, establish a route plan and post with friends, family and the local jurisdiction that covers that area..... at least that provides a bit of info for them to search if you fail to meet your time lines for extraction. Hike smart, have the right tools, make a plan and have the gear to survive if stuff happens.......happy trails.

Dont and Brokor like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In my Kenwood TH-D72a handheld, (1000 Memories) I have every frequency known to man, prorammed. All the Ham Repeaters in VHF, and all the common Ham Uhf Repeaters, ALL the Marine Frequencies. All the MURS, FRS/GMRS, and Dot Frequencies. All the Air Charter Business Frequencies used in my area. All the Public Safety Frequencies used in Alaska. ALL the USFS, and National Park Frequencies for around Alaska..... The only issue is if they are using PL, or DPL, but the Radio has a Decoder built into the Receivers, to Ident any Tones used.... I can setup any PL, or DPL, from the Keypad. Yea, Yea, I know, but I can listen to ANYTHING..... One Radio does ALL....

Altoidfishfins and kellory like this.
  3. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I guess I am a bit befuddled by so much of the discussion on repeaters. The original question is about summoning help when recreating in the sticks. With of course many exceptions, a general rule is when there is no cell service in the area, there is no ham repeater within 25-35 miles that can be reached. To turn that around, with many exceptions, if you can hit a repeater, good chance you can probably just use a cell phone to call help. As mentioned in an other post, phone/repeater coverage for a particular area of interest may require investigation of communication options possibly requiring field assessment. Note we are not discussing this in the context of grid down or SHTF, just normal day recreational hiking. So the emphasis on repeaters seems rather moot.

Here is a map, granted optimistic, for USA coverages for cell phones:
    http://www.cellularmaps.com/image/straight_map_14a.jpg

Compare to ham repeater locations for states of interest:
    Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily

Have fun.
    AT

Mountainman likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You are right about the cell coverage being optimistic. I can go into a many of the local neighborhoods, and lose cell coverage, or drop to one bar or less.
    On the other hand, with the radio set to scan the preprogrammed repeater freqs, I have never yet dropped out of range of at least one repeater. (You hear them every half hour, like tolling the watch bells).
    I've see that interactive map before, and it is not even close in accuracy for this area. There are a LOT MORE repeaters in this areas than that map shows.
    On the other hand, the app I mentioned does show them. As I said, I have several within 5miles NOW.
    Do I need to mention, the largest Hamfest in the country is the Dayton Hamfest? That is about one hour west of me.
    Even with the limited radio I have, I have no doubt I could hit at least one repeater, just about anywhere in the state.
    I have (by my Repeater Directory app) 12 repeaters within 50 miles, complete with contact freqs for each, and map locations.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  5. Joy12

Joy12 Monkey

Wow, a true wealth of information here! I expected maybe a couple of responses, probably one of which that would tell me to get educated, but you guys are awesome, thank you so much! I would quote you all and respond per person but I'm afraid it would take me most of the day!

I think from reading the responses and reading up a bit further myself the general opinion is that FRS radios generally just don't cut it. What is the general opinion on GMRC? I read a review of a walkie talkie that looks good to me, although the review does sound a bit biased. Does anyone have experience with Uniden GMR 5089, and am I right in thinking you need a license for that?

Another option that gets mentioned a lot here are HAM radios. Now, I know nothing about that. I've started reading around a bit bit they sound a bit complicated. Do you have any suggestions for simple models of HAM radios that I can read up on?

Some of the later responses confused me a bit. Please excuse my ignorance, but what are repeaters? From reading and guessing from it's name, are these devices that can relay your messages onto a further range. With many walkie talkies reaching up to 30 miles or so, is this really needed? How difficult is it to connect to these?

I never mentioned it at the start, but I should add that my budget is probably around $200 max. I could probably stretch it slightly further if it's really needed. I just got quite a big scare on our hike the other day and don't want to feel out of my dept again!

Thank you all again so much for helping me out here! I promise I'll do my best to learn fast and stop asking silly questions!

melbo and Ganado like this.
  6. kellory

There are no stupid questions, just unasked ones. Ask away.
    Repeaters are base stations that listen and rebroadcast, with a lot more power than your handheld radio can muster. It is even possible (though I have only read about it) to bounce a signal from one repeater to another like a chain.
    A couple of questions that should have already been asked of you. How far do you hike, and is it remote or near civilization? Do you drive to where you start walking, or is it local?
    We do not need or even want your location, but is there a nearby city for reference? We could be of more use as to what resources you have locally, if we had an idea of where local is.
    As for any kind of family band radio getting more than maybe five miles on a flat plane without trees is a maybe at best. ( Others here, would know better than I) .
    $200.00 would get you at least 3 Boafeng 5 ham radios, perhaps even 4. They are pretty cheap, in the $35-$65 range each. And getting a "Tech" level ham licence is not difficult. (I learned all I needed to pass the test with a smartphone app. It will take you through the actual test questions pool, until you are letter perfect, and you don't need to be perfect to pass the test. (BT discussed the requirements above).
    I use a Boafeng Uv-3R (no longer made) but the Boafeng uv5r is much more popular, and cheap. When I get around to buying a better radio, it is a likely candidate.
    Understand, it is not the radio that is the life line, it's the repeater. Unless you have a backpack radio with power to reach out and touch someone at long range, it is the repeater that will be shouting for help with a much louder voice then you have.
    I bought my radio for much the same reason you are looking for one. (Emergency contact) it is very small, light, and will recharge off sunlight, which means I am never out of juice for long. It is not as powerful or long range as I would like, and it is limited in what bands it can use, so I would suggest something with more capabilities for a life line.
    Just for comparison purposes, this is one of several available Boafeng 5's
    Amazon.com : BaoFeng UV5R Dual-Band Two-Way Radio, Black : Frs Two Way Radios : Car Electronics
    And this is what I use (low power and small)
    Amazon.com: BaoFeng UV-3R PLUS Two Way Radio (Black): Car Electronics

I am fairly new to ham and still learning, others here have been at it a lifetime. Ask away.

Ganado likes this.
  7. kellory

As to yourUniden GMR 5089 radios.... The reviews are not very good. 3&1/2 stars out of five. They do need a licence to use it's full capabilities, and the stated range is a pipe dream. "Up to 50 miles" would be under perfect conditions. Which never exist. One guy said he got about 40 in open fields hunting. Most said they worked well in about a five mile range or less. They are, however, waterproof.
    I would suggest reading the available reviews, there are quite a few.

Ganado likes this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@kellory what app did you use to learn the HAM tech test? Did I miss your solar charge set up for the hand helds?

9. kellory

The testing/study app I use is simply labeled as Ham Radio Study (free app for iplaystore) the repeater Directory is this one Screenshot_2015-09-10-07-44-08.
    and I did a gear review on the solar charger I use. Here it is:
    Solar charger (real life) | Survival Forums

And the amazon link for the solar charger I purchased with USB output.
    Amazon.com: Instapark® Mercury 10M Solar Panel Portable Solar Charger with Built-in Dual USB Ports for iPhone, iPad & all other USB Compatible Devices, 5200mAh Battery Pack: Cell Phones & Accessories

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  10. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Joy, say you buy a GMRS radio and take it into the remote wilderness (not talking a bad neighborhood but areas like national forests, etc. with hundreds of thousands of acres of actual wilderness as can be found in Kentucky (Red River Gourge), Wyoming, Colorado, etc.) who are you going to talk to?

Help has to be someone within range monitoring the same frequency and who has the ability to get aid to show up. If you can talk to your hiking buddies a mile or two away but they are in no better position to bring help to you (say helicopter evacuation because of multiple trauma due to a fall) then that doesn't help you. The repeater stuff is being able to reach a ham radio operator who regularly uses that repeater and you ask them to call 911 for you. But if you are in truly large wilderness areas, repeaters are not in range.

Having trekked into national forests and similar areas as mentioned above, I understand your concern. Which brings me back to the first post I made, those 5 options are your leading options for true wilderness excursions.

Personally, from what you have described, get a PLB.

Yard Dart likes this.
  11. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Ganado and BTPost like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Joy12 Simple Information. A Repeater, is nothing more that a special Radio, that Listens to your Transmissions, and then repeats (retransmit the audio) to others Radios, in the Repeater's Coverage Area. They are "usually" located at High Sites. (Hill, or Mountain, Tops" so that they get maximum Area Coverage. Many of these Repeaters are linked, into a Comms System, to effectively extend the Range for the System, and therefor, your Transmissions. (Ever wonder how the Cop's handheld Radios can talk across a whole County... Linked Repeaters) There are lots of different Agencies that use, and have Repeaters, to facilitate their Comms. (Police, Fire/EMS, USFS, BLM, etc) The Ham Radio Community also has Repeater Systems. Some of them are Linked into Regional, and State wide Systems, where a Handheld Radio can have Comms, across the Whole System. For most Ham Repeater operations, only a Tech License is required. (Ten Year Olds have passed the Test) In general, almost all Cities, Towns & Villages, in the USA, will have Ham Repeater coverage, that will extend out into surrounding Rural Areas. Most Interstate Highways, and many State Highways, will have Ham Repeater coverage. Where things get spotty is out in the Woods, Forests, and Mountains. the fewer people around, the less likely there will be Ham Radio coverage. Here in Bush Alaska, where I live, Ham Repeater coverage is mostly non-Existant, outside the Major Cities & Towns, and even the .GOV Agencies, have spotty coverage in the bush. We depend on the USCG Marine Repeater Systems for Emergency Comms, and even that is spotty the farther out you live. There are Databases, of these Repeaters, that give Frequencies, and Coverage Areas, for MOST Ham Repeaters, as well as Databases for the .GOV Repeater Systems, on the Internet. You can research what is available in ANY Area of interest, before the trip, and program your Radio for the correct Frequency Information, before you leave home.

kellory likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. CaptainCalamity
  3. DKR
  4. DurdenJames
  5. William Warren
  6. saki monkey
  7. old_code
  8. OlSarge
  9. TheRightToBearArms
  10. AR15gunbuilder
    New one from west Florida
    Thread by: AR15gunbuilder, Sep 28, 2020, 19 replies, in forum: New Member Introductions
  11. Bunker Bob
  12. Modus Operandi
  13. Northern california
  14. bumpshadow
  15. Murfylang
  16. Waydah
  17. Kruel J
  18. johnwintergardener
  19. hitchcock4
  20. DKR
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7